PDA

View Full Version : New Rider In Nottingham

PetrolHead
07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Good Afternoon...

Have just passed my bike test and bought a Pegaso Trail, just under a year old on '06 with 1000 miles on the clock, have had it a week now. First impressions are that its a huuggely different riding experience to what I learnt on, really good fun with great steering response, I keep on taking routes with lots of islands and corners. Its got a a fair bit of grunt for saying its a 650, a bit more vibration at high speed than I'd like but nothings ever perfect in life (particularly the weather at the moment as I'm itching to go out, but thought of getting a few fair weather rides under my belt whilst I get used to the bike).

Fitted a Givi top-box rack yesterday, havent actually got a top box yet, as I cant decide what size i need to get to fit my laptop and stuff in? thinking around 38 to 45 litres.

Cheers.

Naythan
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Welcome!! Your route to Pegaso sounds awfully similar to mine 3 months ago, I too have rack but no box, just haven't got round to it yet.

Clotted Cream
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Did you learn on a GS500?

The Pegaso's engine is much smoother than the Yamaha XT660 engine it is derived from!

Welcome.

Kev

keithc
07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Funny yoou should say that, I had a littel go (maybe 500 yards) on a XT660X and thought it vibrated more then the Pegaso.

Keith

Naythan
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I learnt on a battered ER-5, hated the position, made my hands & arms go numb.

MilesB
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
The Pegaso's engine is much smoother than the Yamaha XT660 engine it is derived from!

Yeah - I test rode an MT-03 last year... bike styling is great, but not as well put together as the Peg, and the engine (identical to the XT660) was a lot more vibey.

I understand that aprilia put a new cylinder head on the Minarelli (Yamaha) engine, which combined with the fuel injection makes all the difference.

Miles

PetrolHead
07-03-2007, 07:33 AM
I learnt on a battered ER-5, hated the position, made my hands & arms go numb.

Same as what I learnt on, always felt far too small for me, could never get comfortable position on the thing. Cheers for the welcome notes. Will hopefully get some photo's posted soon.

PetrolHead
07-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Very strange that my first post/thread has shown up one here a couple of days after I wrote it (I assume moderators have a hold on "first post"!?)

Anyway, will forget the other and continue with this thread..... my questions if anyone can help are:

Have been to loads of bike shops buying bike-boys-toys, not to much left to buy now; On the shopping list at the moment is:
~ Top box, 38 to 45 litre I think - Much difference anyone??
~ I like the look of the Hepko & Becker engine bars & other sliders
~ Centre Stand - Local dealer has really struggled with this as they are not sure what fits the trail, looking on here am I right in saying that its part number 851720???
~ Hand guards, do the BMW F650 GS fit an 06 trail?
~ High seat?? I'm 6'4" and reckon that it might be worth it???

CeeBeeA
07-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I have the Aprilia 45 litre box and its is definitely the way to go if you commute and need to carry much stuff. I used to have the smaller one on another bike and the 45 litre is way better. It is just a Givi box with different badges (which just fall off). I orered some new Givi badges and they only cost a few quid so it looks better now.

I also have the Hepco & Bekker engine bars which (I think) look pretty neat and unobtrusive. On the trail they'd look pretty good I'm sure. I paid about 60 in the Motobins sale for the bars.

Panda put the centre stand part number on another post somewhere, just search under 'centre stand' and you will find it. They are as rare as rocking horse sh#t and my dealer still says he cannot find one !! After waiting 16 months to get one I am now not going to bother as I'll be selling the bike next spring for a new Shiver 750 !!

High seats - some have commented that it affects the feel of the bike when cornering. But at 6' 4" you probably need it.

Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the forum :cheers:

CeeBeeA

Clotted Cream
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I also have the Hepco & Bekker engine bars which (I think) look pretty neat and unobtrusive. On the trail they'd look pretty good I'm sure. I paid about 60 in the Motobins sale for the bars.

Man you sure got a bargain there! If you sell the trail, can I buy the bars;)

Kev

Naythan
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Panda put the centre stand part number on another post somewhere, just search under 'centre stand' and you will find it. They are as rare as rocking horse sh#t and my dealer still says he cannot find one !! CeeBeeA

Thank god the guy who owned mine for the first 9 months specced a stand!!

PetrolHead
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I have the Aprilia 45 litre box and its is definitely the way to go if you commute and need to carry much stuff. I used to have the smaller one on another bike and the 45 litre is way better.

Thanks for that, pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

PetrolHead
07-05-2007, 02:07 AM
Used my bike for my morning commute this morning for the first time.

Didn't take too long... What a difference it makes! and thoroughly enjoyed it.

PetrolHead
07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Jeez, it threw it down on the way home, first time I'd been out on wet roads and I think that I should have been on a jet-ski given the sheer volume of water on the road... Good job I'd bought waterproof kit, although my laptop got a bit wet as I've not yet got a top-box so I'd thrown it into an old rucksac. Was a really good confidence booster as there was much more grip than I expected. So much so that I went again on the bike again today even though I knew it was going to rain.

Fuel light came on today at around 100 miles, although I dont know if it had been "filled" as the dealer put the fuel in when I bought... Was surprised that it only cost 11 to fill it up (about 12 litres then I guess), thought the tank was bigger than that!?

Corners are getting even smoother, I totally respect that I still have a lot to learn in terms of riding ability, might book a post-pass lesson in a month or so with the guy who taught me to ride as he was excellent.

Naythan
07-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I commuted yesterday too, managed to escape the rain thank god! I use a Respro Hump waterproof hiviz backpac cover to keep the laptop dry. Must get a box soon though, esp as I already have the plate.

PetrolHead
07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I use a Respro Hump waterproof hiviz backpac cover...

I've got a backpack cover somewhere but can't find the damn thing... Have never seen or heard of the Respro so had a quick search on google, good idea, will buy one of those. (and also a top box soon) Cheers.

PetrolHead
07-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Great day out in the sun today (at long last :burnout: )

PetrolHead
07-14-2007, 12:59 PM
What a fantastic afternoon out and about, nicely finished of a tank of fuel today (filled up on super plus on way home to see if any difference); first time I've built the confidence to carry some good speed through the corners and getting some good exit speed confidence also.

A lot better feeling of balance and being able to throw it about more without fear of a low or high side at every twist and turn.

Chain lube turned up in the post today, need to work out how I can get the rear off the ground without a centre stand or paddock stand... I reckon I'll be copying Kev's timber trick... must buy a paddock stand or at least a Liftstik.

Naythan
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Got a new Givi E45 box from a mate today for 60! Off to Kent working for two days on the bike and keeping my fingers crossed I stay dry!!

PetrolHead
07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Thats a bargain and ironic as I also bought a Givi top box today, bought an E460.

Was 50/50 as to whether to go car or bike today... Rode in the sun on the bike on a nice dry road on the way into work... massive storm force rain mid morning followed by same again mid afternoon... rode home in the sun on a nice dry road, 5 mins after I got home it threw it down again!! :) Happy days.

Naythan
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Thats a bargain and ironic as I also bought a Givi top box today, bought an E460.

Was 50/50 as to whether to go car or bike today... Rode in the sun on the bike on a nice dry road on the way into work... massive storm force rain mid morning followed by same again mid afternoon... rode home in the sun on a nice dry road, 5 mins after I got home it threw it down again!! :) Happy days.

I'm praying for the same tomorrow, only prob is from Northamptonshire I'm going to [deep breath]

Sevenoaks
Gillingham
Chatham
Canterbury

B&B overnight then

Canterbury
Gravesend
Basildon
Rayleigh
Chelmsford

Then back to Northants, hopefully dry!!!!!

PetrolHead
07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Great... Your going to get wet!! After all, why else buy waterproofs if your not going to use them!?

Naythan
07-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I'd still prefer to be dry! It's a foregone conclusion I'm going to get wet though!

Naythan
07-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Well I'm here in the b&b and dry, had to fill the bike twice today and have averaged 51mpg, hopefully the weather will be kind to me tomorrow too!

PetrolHead
07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Top box turned up in the post today, really chuffed with it, fits my stuff in no probs... I was worried it was going to look like a huge suitcase stuck on the back of the bike, but it looks much better than I anticipated. No need for the rucksac tomorrow ;)

Naythan
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Goodo, I made good use of mine over the last two days, 366 miles and only caught two tiny showers on the final leg back to Northants, need to get my 6250 mile service booked now as I'm up to 6189. Must get the fuel sender done too.

PetrolHead
07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Photo of my new (used) box fitted below, photo is a little misleading as it looks rather large from this distance/angle, but when the rest of the bike is in view it looks nicely proportioned:

keithc
07-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Had a greattime commuting home on Friday. Lots of floods on th roads I use, some of them were up to 750mm deep. Had to be real carefull not to cause a bow wave hat went into peoples houses. On the deepest flood I was followed by a Range Rover and teh water came up to his headlights. As he was going real slow behind me, he didnt have much of a bow wave either:)
BTW Hein Gerricke boots are really waterproof, normally a good thing until the water comes over the top of them. Then it takes ages for them to dry out on the inside :)

Keith

AberdeenAngus
07-22-2007, 07:20 AM
.... (filled up on super plus on way home to see if any difference); .

I did this the other day as they had run out of regular 95 !

Didn't seem to make the slightest difference.:WTF:

Bloody expensive too :pissed:

PetrolHead
07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Great day out and about today, strange weather with a blend of very black clouds and briliant sunshine, didnt actually rain at any time. Hhhhuuuuggggeeee traffic jam on one dual carriageway, was great being able to slowly filter down the middle, have always been jealous of bikes being able to do that whilst I'm sat stuck in my car, so a really good feeling saving so much time. Didn't hit any wing mirrors thankfully, was close to a couple though :)

Am still learning a lot about tight and twisty corners, the bike is undoubtedly far more capable than me, took one corner in particular a little too quickly but it wasnt any issue for the bike. Still much to learn though http://www.iwanttowheelie.co.uk/ :cheers: .

Keith, which of your many many bikes were you on? were you worried about getting water into the engine?

Have continued on the higher octane fuel, now its got through a couple of tank loads it does seem to be running slightly smoother mainly at lower revs unless its purely psychological. The bike is so fuel efficient, I think I'm getting around :worship: 50mpg, and it only costs about a tenner to fill the thing (puts the car to shame as that costs nearer a hundred) so I'm going to stick with it for now.