PDA

View Full Version : There may be a Carburator in my near future

Bravo2043
06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
This is my first post and I have to say, this is really a top shelf forum. Kudos to all of you.

I bought my first scooter two years ago, a Yamaha Vino. I bought my second scooter about a month ago, it's a 2002 SR50 Ditech, I paid 750$ for it, it seams to be in pretty good shape, has 12000 miles on the clock, needs a rear tire, some and a rear brake, and a couple other things nothing major. I have been riding it and tinkering with it since I got it. It's a really fun bike.

So far, I have done some clutch work, put a rear tire on it, fixed a broken exhaust stud, replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, and put a headlight in it. Nothing Major. And now it will not start. The trouble started when I replaced the broken exhaust stud, but by now I an sure that had nothing to do with it not starting.

I know that the problem is fuel delivery, If I take a syringe full of gas and squirt a little in the throttle body it starts right up, but it doesn't run for long. I have had the injectors out of it, there was a little emulsified fuel in the bottom of the injector bowl, but not much, the air injector had some pretty good carbon buildup on the inside, but is it bad?? It's pretty hard to say, I have been wrenching for 40+ years now, I have replaced injectors that were bad in cars and you CAN NOT TELL by looking at them even when you get them out. I read all through this thread
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117784&highlight=fuel+injector

Wow, I love this forum, there is a ton of information, but in this thread I didn't see how to tell if the injector was good. And like I said I don't think you can tell if it is good just by looking at it.

Tomorrow I an going to get a pressure gauge and take some pressure readings on the compressor line and on the fuel line. I think I have figured out how to use an Air gauge to read fuel pressure. If the pressures are all good it has to be an injector.

Here is the rub, I am pretty sure I could get a carburetor for 150$, what do you suppose an injector will cost.

I am really tempted to go carburetor. If I do, Can you say Big Bore maybe a stroker kit. I love fuel injection so I am torn.

Has anyone put a carburetor on a Ditech?