PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty switch live required

Clotted Cream
06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
I've just fitted oxford heated grips. I actually prefer that they are a little thicker than stock. I wired the loom to the batter positive and negative. In the past I have fitted a 4 pole relay and taken a live feed from the lights. Anybody know where I can wire the positive to which can take 30amps and is only live when the ignition is on?

Thanks

Kev

pegasobaz
06-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Are you sure you need 30 amps? that seems a huge amount for some heated grips, personally i'd wire direct from the battery on a fused supply into a standard 4 pole relay then take the switching feed for the relay from the headlight dipped beam plug, that way you can't drain the battery as it won't be powered up unless the engine's running.

keithc
06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Personally I would feed heated grips via a relay and feed the realy switching coil from a `hot when ignition on' feed. Any wire that is live only when the ignition is on should do as the current drain will be low. Maybe the feed for the brake light switch, as I dont think this is connected in any way to the bikes computers.

Keith

Panda
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I think mines are wired to the tail light feed - I wouldn't wire them straight to the battery, otherwise some bugger will switch them on when the bikes parked up and flaten your battery. I've twice come back to find someone has seen the "push" sign and thought they would try it themselves.

pegasobaz
06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Thats why I would take the relay coil supply (teminal 85 on the relay) from the dipped beam plug as it's only powered up if the engines running.

Clotted Cream
06-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Thanks guys. That is what I said in my first post. I took the feed from the tail lights when fitted to a previous bike.

There is a 15 amp feed on the fuses (in front of the battery) which is only live with ignition on. The wiring diagram in the manual is so blurred to read to see what it feeds.

Kev

AberdeenAngus
07-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Doubt it's 30 amps.
If so then the grips are giving out 30amps x 12volts = 360 Watts
i.e. the same as six, sixty watt household bulbs......hhhhhot !

Sure it isn't 30 watts ?. This sounds about right.
If so this is 30/12=2.5 amps

Clotted Cream
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know as I don't have the fitting instructions. The oxford grips came on my boys CCM Dual sport 644. He didn't want them so I bought him new Renthal grips, and I got the hot grips:happy:

Kev