PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Katana 2006 haves same variator/motor?

Korkko
06-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Hello, is it true that Aprilia Di-tech and Katana haves same motor/variator? I mean, that variator cover looks like same. I have Katana 2006 with Direct Injection.

JohnnyStang06
06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Can you post a pic?

THE MAX
06-19-2007, 06:45 AM
I have Katana 2006 with Direct Injection.Please post pic's !!!

Korkko
06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/Kuva000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/Kuva001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/vasensivu.jpg

There you go, you think its same that in Aprilia Di-Tech?

THE MAX
06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Well its Morini engine for sure ...........

I give it a 99,99 % yes for the parts to match crossover

I never saw the scoot before

I think silver is going to be intrested in this:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118766

Korkko
06-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Anyone knows how fast this 06 Katana will go without that variator washer? 60 km/h real speed? Just asking cause im gonna remove it at next week, cause now i know its same motor that in Aprilia, morini.

THE MAX
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
-Is the ECU DE-Restricted ?

-Do the use gameboy on suzuki ? or a other system like piaggio ?

-What cardridge ?

-What kind of dashbord do you have ?

-Anolog or digital ?

Promise me you will make pic's if you ever make your way to the ECU ect

Very intrested in these shit

Korkko
06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Well my english is really bad, but dashboard is analog. I dont have touched to ECU, so its restricted. Whole scooter is stock since im gonna remove variator washer. And future im not gonna tune this thingy, removing washer is enough for me. You can google some pics about dashboard, im not gonna make my way to ECU, sry.

techrat1
06-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Interesting, I thought the katana was carbed... seems there is more and more orbital DI engines appearing... this is a good thing to see.

Korkko
06-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Yes but performance sucks, acceleration sucks hard. But there is lot of chokes: variator washer, exhaust choke and rpm limiter in ECU.

SilverSurfer
06-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm only going based on cross-over charts on the SIP web-shop (as is often the case...), and that's not always 100% by any means, BUT judging by that the Suzuki Katana Ditech is a Suzuki Katana with an Aprilia Ditech engine. They cross over every major part I can find. The one I would have to wonder would be the ECU... if it's REALLY an Aprilia engine like the tables say, then would even the ECU be Aprilia, and programmable by Gameboy? Korkko, you won't be damaging your engine any by de-restricting the ECU. There is STILL a rev-limit in there, it's just higher. Just de-restricting the ECU won't turn it into a race-scooter by any measure.

So yeah, the simple answer to your original question is YES, same variator and motor.

Korkko
06-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Nice nice, that i wanted to hear. Well that was also good to hear that ECU is same that in Aprilia. So de-restricting would be easy also, but im not gonna do that, i dont want this thingy go over 65km/h, otherwise polices forfeit/penalty (what ever it is in English) will be too high, cause heres so much cops. So i try to keep my baby stock, except variator washer which im gonna remove, that cops will not pay so much attention to my scoot.

SilverSurfer
06-22-2007, 05:21 AM
I just wanted to be specific and make sure there's no mistake... you have a 2006, and I'm not sure where you are, but the years that parts will match for you are 2000 to mid-2003 or Morini motor. Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion...

SilverSurfer
11-24-2007, 06:00 AM
I was just poking around the PMTuning UK site and seeing if there was anything listed for the Suzuki that wasn't listed for Aprilia, and found that it looks like not everything crosses over perfectly between the Aprilia and Suzuki Ditechs. Those transmission lids sure do look the same, BUT they've got a pair of 110mm clutches listed, where our Aprilias all have 107mm clutches (right?).

pmpaluda
11-24-2007, 11:48 AM
My gears are made for the Katana... but fit our DiTechs. Not sure what that means for your tranny speculation(s).

ercis
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I was just poking around the PMTuning UK site and seeing if there was anything listed for the Suzuki that wasn't listed for Aprilia, and found that it looks like not everything crosses over perfectly between the Aprilia and Suzuki Ditechs. Those transmission lids sure do look the same, BUT they've got a pair of 110mm clutches listed, where our Aprilias all have 107mm clutches (right?).

yeah, but we can simply put larger if we increase the size of clutch bell!
they are the same morini engines, everything is exchangeable!

a lil offtopic : do morini fit minarelli or piaggio clutch bells!? mine's kaputt, and it is extremely difficult for me to get one!

Timmy1
11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/Kuva000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/Kuva001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Korski/vasensivu.jpg

There you go, you think its same that in Aprilia Di-Tech?

Yep i agree with max it is 99% morini and i have seen the Suzuki Katana scooter before on you tube.But Korkko does a derestricted katana have the speed and horsepower as a ditech like 2003 or 2002 derestricted but i think my dragon custom air intake would fit the same as i did on my ditech on that katana.Does suzuki have a ecu gameboy that would derestrict yours?

ercis
11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
actually you can say that aprilia has 99% morini, cause suzuki have had morini's since early 1990's, the ditechs are COMPELITELY the same, carb have different variator cover color :)

Timmy1
11-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Wow suzuki had morini engines in the early 90s but don't forget that aprilia invented the ditech in 2000.But there's no way that suzuki invented the ditech if you read aprilia's history books or go to there site aprilia invented the ditech but i guess that the Suzuki Katana has a carb and have different variator cover according to you ercis in the earlier models you can say but i guess in later years after aprilia invented the ditech suzuki copied aprilia's ditech

TiminIndy
11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Can you get a picture of the other side, where the water pump is?

What country are you in?

ercis
11-25-2007, 03:19 AM
Wow suzuki had morini engines in the early 90s but don't forget that aprilia invented the ditech in 2000.But there's no way that suzuki invented the ditech if you read aprilia's history books or go to there site aprilia invented the ditech but i guess that the Suzuki Katana has a carb and have different variator cover according to you ercis in the earlier models you can say but i guess in later years after aprilia invented the ditech suzuki copied aprilia's ditech

ditech is created by aprilia, morini... well, who knows... suzuki have had them, but as we know there was(and still is, i believe) a motorcycle company moto morini - were they the creatorshttp://burnout.lv/forums/images/smiles/sm128.gif but it's mostly called suzuki eng not aprilia! suzuki eng/aprilia ditech :rolleyes:

SilverSurfer
11-25-2007, 05:15 AM
...a lil offtopic : do morini fit minarelli or piaggio clutch bells!? mine's kaputt, and it is extremely difficult for me to get one!

the clutches and the clutch bells are Minarelli type 107mm (stock size is 107 anyway)

ercis
11-25-2007, 05:54 AM
the clutches and the clutch bells are Minarelli type 107mm (stock size is 107 anyway)

yeah i know about the size! (btw piaggio engines fit minarelli clutches, but minarelli don't piaggio - weird) but there i have been told from unsure source, that they have different amount of cogs on the axle where the bell mounts!

have you tried one!?

SilverSurfer
11-25-2007, 06:49 AM

If you check the SIP webshop, looking at the Suzuki Ditechs, they even list the engine as Aprilia. I think if it says "Ditech" it will have to be Aprilia, because even though Aprilia no longer has an exclusive on the direct-injection technology (a.k.a. "ditech"), they still have the copyright on the word "ditech."

ercis
11-25-2007, 07:29 AM
If you check the SIP webshop, looking at the Suzuki Ditechs, they even list the engine as Aprilia. I think if it says "Ditech" it will have to be Aprilia, because even though Aprilia no longer has an exclusive on the direct-injection technology (a.k.a. "ditech"), they still have the copyright on the word "ditech."
no one knows! the same as yamaha aerox, if you go to japan and ask them aerox, their reaction will be :WTF:

Ciudale
11-25-2007, 08:17 AM
yeah i know about the size! (btw piaggio engines fit minarelli clutches, but minarelli don't piaggio - weird) but there i have been told from unsure source, that they have different amount of cogs on the axle where the bell mounts!

For sure the end of the axle has not the same number of cogs on Minarellis and Morinis. They are Definately different : I have ordered SIP two bells that were said to fit the Morini axle, unfortunately they weren't.... From what I know, its impossible to find another bell than the stock and the DR one. No Malossi or Polini here.

Timmy1
11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
ditech is created by aprilia, morini... well, who knows... suzuki have had them, but as we know there was(and still is, i believe) a motorcycle company moto morini - were they the creatorshttp://burnout.lv/forums/images/smiles/sm128.gif but it's mostly called suzuki eng not aprilia! suzuki eng/aprilia ditech :rolleyes:

So the katana morini engine is called the suzuki engine my bad :)

Timmy1
11-25-2007, 07:46 PM

So aprilia hasn't has the exclusive on the ditech anymore I guess suzuki must have used aprilia's permission to use the ditech on the katana scoots my bad.

SilverSurfer
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
So aprilia hasn't has the exclusive on the ditech anymore I guess suzuki must have used aprilia's permission to use the ditech on the katana scoots my bad.

I still don't know one thing though, and that's who actually manufactures Suzuki's Ditech engines. Are the engine cases the same? Or did they just buy up Aprilia's old Morini/Ditech manufacturing? Or did they just buy some of Aprilia's remaining Morini Ditech engines? Or is Aprilia still making those motors, and just selling them to Suzuki? Or.... what? I sure don't know.....

THE MAX
11-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Morini is the engine producer and sell there engines to scooter producers.......

-So here we got Aprilia choose for same type engine as Suzuki

Same goes for the Piaggio engines:
-Inject versie is sold to 3 differend scooter Producers
-Carb version to XXX ? Scooter producers

So we got 3 engine producers (Mina,PIA,Morini) selling there products to any scooter producer that knock on there door ...........only PEUGEOT has ther own engine series produced

SilverSurfer
11-27-2007, 03:47 AM
For sure the end of the axle has not the same number of cogs on Minarellis and Morinis. They are Definately different : I have ordered SIP two bells that were said to fit the Morini axle, unfortunately they weren't.... From what I know, its impossible to find another bell than the stock and the DR one. No Malossi or Polini here.

Wow, I didn't know that, I also thought those were all supposed to fit. That's too bad then... definitely good to know though.... very unfortunate for you though!