PDA

View Full Version : Spoke to Penske today

Dvus
10-17-2003, 04:59 PM
I emailed Penske today regarding converting my 8987 triple adjustable shock designed for a 2001 R6 to my 04 RSVR

Here's the response:

Dominic, We don't have specs. on an '04 RSV yet. Once we have the specs.,
then we can tell you if we can economically convert your R6 to an RSV. This
is probably not something that you would want to do yourself. As all shocks
are custom built to order, and our build may change thought the production
of any model, we ask to have any conversion shock in our shop, to determine
exact parts and cost. You can call me at 610-375-6180 for more details.
Thank you, Bruce

So I responded back thanking him for the information and asked when they will get the specs. A response was given back it will be sooner if I can provide the information for them. I didn't know what specs he wanted so Bruce sent me what I needed to get.

Eye to eye, stroke, top and bottom bushing hole dia. and width, spring rate,
hose length and clocking.

So anyone out there um Clarkie that can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Thunder Factory
10-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Ohlins have a spec card for every shock they produce whether it's for bike manufacturers or direct retail.

They will publish stroke length and spring rate eventually when they list a replacement shock on their website, but valveing details and such will only be supplied to their service centres and distributors.

Not sure how economic it will be converting the shock but if it helps RSVR.net are listing the Ohlins shocks on the site shop and the pricing seems well below average costs for Ohlins paticularly as you would not have to pay local tax (vat). Details are here (http://www.rsvr.net/pages/performance2.asp?section=mille04&subsection=SUSPENSION)

Good luck!

GeoR
10-18-2003, 10:50 AM
RSVR.net are listing the Ohlins shocks on the site shop and the pricing seems well below average

Cheap yes but the shock on that picture does not look like it has an adjustable ride height? :confused:

Thunder Factory
10-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Geo

From thr part numbers these appear to be Aprilia distributed shocks as opposed to Ohlins "aftermarket" parts. Ohlins part numbers will start with AP.

If these are Aprilia parts they will not feature the remote pre-load which is not fitted on the old R or the Factory 04.

:micah: :banana: :bond:

GeoR
10-18-2003, 11:36 AM
I knew about the remote preload, all I'm saying is that in the pix I can't see a ride height adjuster either.
If these don't have it I'd pass.

The remote preload is great if you occasionaly ride 2-up, but if you only ride solo then you don't adjust the rear sag all that often so it's not a big deal.

Dvus
10-18-2003, 02:24 PM
If anything I'd just sell the Penske that I have right now and have GP Suspension or Circuit 1 rebuild the shock and forks if I need it. I still have to dial in the suspension settings. Something is just not right. The front bounces way tooo much. I need to soften the compression all the way and see if that does the trick. I wish there was more setting options for the forks.

mfbRSV
10-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you need to firm up the rebound damping if you are getting too much bouncing...

... But first you should confirm the standard setttings from the manual.

I have used the Ohlins Road and Track guidelines to setup & balance the suspension on numerous bikes with excellent results. There is mucho good general setup/tuning info in here that will help you get started: http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/07241-02.pdf

Dvus
10-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by mfbRSV
Sounds like you need to firm up the rebound damping if you are getting too much bouncing...

... But first you should confirm the standard setttings from the manual.

I have used the Ohlins Road and Track guidelines to setup & balance the suspension on numerous bikes with excellent results. There is mucho good general setup/tuning info in here that will help you get started: http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/07241-02.pdf Thanks bro. I work on dialing it in.