PDA

View Full Version : aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Demontech
06-15-2007, 08:13 AM
so were riding around last night downtown on the scoots and i hit a pot hole- so what you might be saying-MY MOTOR SNAPPED IN HALF-cracked behind the front pulley. only thing that stopped the wheel from coming off was the exauhst, belt , and shock. pics later.

wtb- one ditech motor:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Dragster pilota
06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
demontech in da house:
MY MOTOR SNAPPED IN HALF-cracked behind the front pulley

Not an unknown problem, I think I have seen atleast 10 cracked motors and I always ask myself "why do they have a plastic vario cover on the Aprilia DiTech??? and not an alu as on the Piaggio motor"....

DP says: Hope it's covered by your insurance.....

Direct_tech_50
06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow Never heard of that one! :WTF: OUCH!!! Sorry to hear about your bike. I live in Montreal, the land of potholes. Our roads look like a battle field with craters everywhere after the winter. The long thaw and tons of salt kill our roads. I will avoid those for sure now! That must have been the mother of all potholes. How big was it and how deep? Hope you can fix it.

Demontech
06-15-2007, 10:33 AM
im crushed, i have a 999s and a pit bike but love scooters for messin around town with the guys. yea ill fix it some how, engine is crazy expensive but cases are fairly cheep. tear it apart tonight to get a better idea

goldgt
06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Bad luck about the pothole bloke i know how u feel but a bit worse i think my mate just took my scoot out for a little spin and got run off the road going through a roundabout on my (2500km old) 06 factory he hit the curb/gutter and has taken big chunks out of both rims like there is no rim at all between the spokes plus damage to plastics on one side and i might have to straighten the frame a little i,ll need to have a good look at the damage tomorrow. We are going to go half,s in the cost of repairs as it was my fault in letting someone ride my sr in the first place, and i did'nt worn him about how most drivers give as much notice to a scooter on the road as they do a dog turd. Plus i dont think my mate could handle the power of the big girl. Who is the best place for parts that deliver to Oz.

Cheers

Hamish

pn70
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
im crushed, i have a 999s and a pit bike but love scooters for messin around town with the guys. yea ill fix it some how, engine is crazy expensive but cases are fairly cheep. tear it apart tonight to get a better idea

Man that sucks donkey d1ck! That pot hole looks more like a crater. I see you're in Milwaukee...I'll have to jump on the ferry with my scooter and come visit. :cheers: Maybe I can help you wrench on it, I make a good gopher!

I just got full coverage insurance on both my scooters but not sure if it would cover damage from hitting a pot hole.

Primeruss
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
In the UK you could sue the local highways authority for not maintaining the road properly.

Demontech
06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
im a mechanic at an aprilia dealer so i am not claiming this so i end up paying more for insurance. thanks for the offer though. were finnally getting more people here with the sporty scoots(vs the vespa...) and having tons of fun so im gonna miss her

jusdan
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh My God!

I have never seen somthink like that befour!

Good luck with fixing it.

pn70
06-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh My God!

I have never seen somthink like that befour!

Good luck with fixing it.

you mean the pic showing damage to the bike or the "Moon-Like" crater pic?

goldgt
06-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Heres some pics of my rims well whats left of them.

pn70
06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Heres some pics of my rims well whats left of them.

Sorry to see that mate, best wishes on getting that fixed.

goldgt
06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks Pete, I might have found some rims for about $50au each but there in the UK so will see about postage. They say everything happens for a reason and something positive will always come out of something negative. I will let you know if this is true im still waiting.

benzina
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Bad luck about the pothole bloke i know how u feel but a bit worse i think my mate just took my scoot out for a little spin and got run off the road going through a roundabout on my (2500km old) 06 factory he hit the curb/gutter and has taken big chunks out of both rims like there is no rim at all between the spokes plus damage to plastics on one side and i might have to straighten the frame a little i,ll need to have a good look at the damage tomorrow. We are going to go half,s in the cost of repairs as it was my fault in letting someone ride my sr in the first place, and i did'nt worn him about how most drivers give as much notice to a scooter on the road as they do a dog turd. Plus i dont think my mate could handle the power of the big girl. Who is the best place for parts that deliver to Oz.

Cheers

Hamish
Sorry to here of your misfortune. When it come to ordering parts, go for www.easyparts.nl This is a great site,and you will find all you need in the genuine parts section,(it's just like what the dealers have available to them). They are also very professional with obtaining the parts for you,and also delivering,even to Australia.

pn70
06-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Pete, I might have found some rims for about $50au each but there in the UK so will see about postage. They say everything happens for a reason and something positive will always come out of something negative. I will let you know if this is true im still waiting.

At least you are keeping a positive atittude!!!! I would be whining my ass off and suckin the beer down by now, hehehe. On another note, I have been to sydney twice to visit family and also have family in perth, would have liked to visit perth and spend time with family and also since I heard it's beautifull out that way.

After hearing about local scooter thefts near me and reading some posts on here I decided that insurance would be a good idea so after shopping around in my neck of the woods I finally found a good insurance policy for both my scooters for a total $200.00 US dollars a year and will cover theft, collision including potholes and curbs and personal liabilty (i had to double check that today). Not sure how easy it is to get insurance coverage for scooters downunder but here it's really no big deal unless you have a bad driving record. By the way...I had no clue what a round about was till I first visited sydney, hehehe.

Best Wishes!

goldgt
06-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry to here of your misfortune. When it come to ordering parts, go for www.easyparts.nl This is a great site,and you will find all you need in the genuine parts section,(it's just like what the dealers have available to them). They are also very professional with obtaining the parts for you,and also delivering,even to Australia.

Thanks for the info on the parts mate i will finish off my list of parts i need and put in a order.

Cheers

Hamish

goldgt
06-15-2007, 11:50 PM
At least you are keeping a positive atittude!!!! I would be whining my ass off and suckin the beer down by now, hehehe. On another note, I have been to sydney twice to visit family and also have family in perth, would have liked to visit perth and spend time with family and also since I heard it's beautifull out that way.

After hearing about local scooter thefts near me and reading some posts on here I decided that insurance would be a good idea so after shopping around in my neck of the woods I finally found a good insurance policy for both my scooters for a total $200.00 US dollars a year and will cover theft, collision including potholes and curbs and personal liabilty (i had to double check that today). Not sure how easy it is to get insurance coverage for scooters downunder but here it's really no big deal unless you have a bad driving record. By the way...I had no clue what a round about was till I first visited sydney, hehehe.
Best Wishes!

Don't worrie Pete i had a few beers last night to numb the pain. My mate is ok but he could have been killed and that would have been really bad because then he could'nt have paid half for the repairs :kidding: But will be getting insurance on it after this little wake up call.

Cheers

Hamish

Timmy1
06-15-2007, 11:56 PM

Thank god you dont live in michigan beacuse the roads are pretty bad and they dump a lot of salt on our roads in the winter and demontech you should be lucky that you werent killed by that pothole or went down beacuse of one you said that you have a 999 sweet! but i saw the pics and i have to say wow i didnt know that ditech motors can crack underpressure but good luck fixing up that ditech

SilverSurfer
06-16-2007, 01:38 AM
...and I always ask myself "why do they have a plastic vario cover on the Aprilia DiTech.....

now I'm going to want to know how much it would cost to get an aluminum vario-cover cast.... :eek:

THE MAX
06-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Agree with DP............

-I know 3 case's of this

now I'm going to want to know how much it would cost to get an aluminum vario-cover cast.... :eek:

Carb SR cover will fit

With a littel mod you could even make the kick-starter work

mtiberio
06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
your kidding yourself if you think the vario cover would prevent the crankcase from cracking.

pn70
06-16-2007, 10:09 PM
your kidding yourself if you think the vario cover would prevent the crankcase from cracking.

Sorry guys but I would agree with the above quote

THE MAX
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Sorry guys but I would agree with the above quoteA aluminium cover make's the engine much stronger I think .......

-The plastic version does not ad-on any extra strenght to the engine ,and could even be bent by hand power

SilverSurfer
06-18-2007, 02:00 AM
I think it would make a measurable increase in durability. It's not going to stop REALLY bad potholes from destroying stuff, but it'll decrease degree of damage I'm sure.

Dragster pilota
06-18-2007, 03:12 AM
mtiberio in da house:
your kidding yourself if you think the vario cover would prevent the crankcase from cracking

I don't think so, in my 6 years dealing with scoots of many brands the only ones with motors broken in half between the vario & clutch I have NEVER seen other than the DiTech do this and it's the only one with a plastic lid, I would claim that laws of physics could point out that a hollowed out slab of alu (although these are forged) with pretty thin walls will be much stronger when helt togheter with yet antother slab of alu than a piece of brittle plastic but I'm no Einstein.....

DP says: Just verry personal thoughts....

pn70
06-18-2007, 03:29 AM
mtiberio in da house:
your kidding yourself if you think the vario cover would prevent the crankcase from cracking

I don't think so, in my 6 years dealing with scoots of many brands the only ones with motors broken in half between the vario & clutch I have NEVER seen other than the DiTech do this and it's the only one with a plastic lid, I would claim that laws of physics could point out that a hollowed out slab of alu (although these are forged) with pretty thin walls will be much stronger when helt togheter with yet antother slab of alu than a piece of brittle plastic but I'm no Einstein.....

DP says: Just verry personal thoughts....

anyone have any pics of the newer factory models with an aluminum cover?

SilverSurfer
06-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Do the Piaggio PureJets have a plastic or aluminum lid? Our Morini Factorys have the plastic obviously... are the Morini Ditechs the only ones with plastic? I'm assuming these different (Minarelli, Morini, Piaggio) lids don't fit each other at all...

benzina
06-18-2007, 07:21 AM
We have aluminium casing.

Demontech
06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
cool huh? rims bent, shocks bent........