PDA

View Full Version : DON"T EXPECT DISCOUNTS ON FACTORY R's

parkec
10-15-2003, 08:05 AM
and probably the RSVR's too. I know some of you all have reported such butt... See My Email Exchange (below) w/ a Dealer Friend.

MY EMAIL REQUEST

>Subject: Re: 04 RSVR 1000 is calling me..
>
>>
>>I've been thinking......
>>
>>What would the I owe you if I traded my Falco for a RSVR 1000 Factory.
>>
>>02 Falco Red/Black 5,400 miles w/ RSC Chip & Cans, Penske/Traxxion shock, Forks tuned by AF1 w/ race tech internals, Ohlins Steering Damper, Stealth Sprocket, new chain, Tinted Double Bubble, evo tag relocater.
>>
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>CP
>>
>>
>>
>>PS I'll deliver to XXX

DEALER FRIENDíS RESPONSE

I took a new RSVR and an '02 Mille R out and got a chance to put time on both of them. Man, is the new RSVR a kick-ass motorcycle. Right out of the boxit is supremely more comfortable and ready to ride fast.
>
>Your Falco traded for the Factory is $XXXX difference out the door. I've sold my first XXX Factories a couple of weeks ago, but I was able to get XXX more before Aprilia ran out. I've got both black and silver in stock at the moment, but I had a lot of interest XXXXXXXXXXXX so I'm not
>sure how long they'll be around.
>
>If you're interested in financing, I've set up some pretty good stuff with XXXX here in XXX. Let me know...
>
>Thanks,
XXXXXX

MY RESPONSE

>Need to work on it.. ... what do you mean "but I was able to get two more before Aprila ran out" ?????? I didn't realize the Factory R was a limited edition.
>
>Thanks
>CP

DEALER FRIENDS RESPONSE

The Facory isn't a limited edition, just limited production.

Aprilia has adjusted their marketing approach to maintain the value in the product and avoid rebating slow moving stock in the future. They will only import a certain limited number of bikes in response to dealer forward orders. When the bikes are all gone from the warehouse, they're gone. That prevents oversupply and erosion of the value at retail and therefore on the resale end as well. The initial shipment of RSVR and Factory that came in 3-weeks ago will be the bulk of those bikes that will come to the
US for 2004. If dealers are discounting Aprilia premium bikes currently, they'll be devaluing the market when the biggest share of the press hits and won't be able to get bikes to replace them on the floor.

I ordered XXX Factory and XXX RSVR as soon as we were notified they were coming in. I sold XXX Factory before they arrived and quickly reordered XXX more. Aprilia is now out of stock on the
bikes.

XXXXX

I'm thinking leftover 01 Mille R in YELLOW. Hmmm

Dvus
10-15-2003, 08:24 AM
wow Aprilia is already out of stock. I wonder if they will be bringing in more the new year?

clarkie49
10-15-2003, 02:49 PM
this was what i have been saying for over a month now, everyone that was claiming they would just buy an '04 when the rebates come into effect, well, tough.

all of a sudden aprilia's new '04's will become sort after bikes and they will retain their value :D

like i said a month ago, if you want one get to your dealer and throw down a deposit.

i kinda get the feeling that no-one listens to me any more:(

clarkie

cman6453
10-15-2003, 02:56 PM
To justify this post, my dealer also said the same thing. He surprised me but he said exactly what was said in parkec's post. Limited production and the change in marketing strategy. WHEW! Good thing I picked mine up yesterday!:p

Dvus
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Well, If anyone is interested this dealer still has one http://www.motointernational.com/ It's in Washington state.

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Before buying ours from Scootopia in KY I bid out to about 10 dealers, 5 in my state and 5 out of state.....I got offers from retail to $500 to $1000 off before deciding who to buy from.

6 of those 10 dealers would make no discount.

Rossifumi
10-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
this was what i have been saying for over a month now, everyone that was claiming they would just buy an '04 when the rebates come into effect, well, tough.

all of a sudden aprilia's new '04's will become sort after bikes and they will retain their value :D

like i said a month ago, if you want one get to your dealer and throw down a deposit.

i kinda get the feeling that no-one listens to me any more:(

clarkie

You mean I wont be able to get cost minus factory incentives and salesman bonus on the brand spankin new RSVR factory?? THAT SUCKS DUDE! I thought that after all the shitty reviews it has gotten that maybe dealers would want to whore them out! Well, whatever... I am going to call this guy I know, who is freiends with this other guy, who knows the dealer, and I will tell him whats up. The only way I am going to buy one of these things is if it is DISCOUNTED.

clarkie49
10-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Rossifumi
The only way I am going to buy one of these things is if it is DISCOUNTED.

or do you mean discontinued :D

clarkie

Baron Samedi
10-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I guess rather than try to sell a high volume of bikes and having to give away all the profits in rebates (let alone the dealers's costs to floorplan the things), Aprilia has changed their strategy and decided to limit supply. It works for MINI Cooper, I hope it works for Aprilia too. I just hope they don't run out of R's before I can get it together to get mine!

X-CBR MAN
10-15-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm gonna wait till the dust settles, and get an '05, really suprise aprilia waited so long for this aproch.

stinky
10-15-2003, 10:17 PM
I hate to sound negative in the face of what I see as an improvement in the marketing scheme, but I'll believe this in a couple of years when I *don't* see a bunch of new 04 Factory's on showroom floors for sale at $12k. I remember the 00 Mille R being touted as a "limited production" bike here.

Either way, I'm planning to hang on to this one for a looooong time (barring any unfortunate incidents, knock wood), so it's not like I'm going to cry about it either way.

Dvus
10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm completely happy with my purchase regardless if it holds value or not. I expect it to go down like every other motorcycle or car. I didn't buy it as an investment rather investing in a pre packaged fun toy! Less I spend to improve on aesthetics and performance the more my money will travel for gas, oil changes and tires. Damn I love the radial master cylinder brake pumps! It stops soooooo quickly!!!! Makes me go even faster:D

stinky
10-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm completely satisfied with mine, too. I bought it for the pleasure I get from riding it, not as an investment - but I'm a firm believer that we are defined by our actions and not our words.

Dvus
10-15-2003, 11:24 PM
W3rd 2 :thumb up

Thunder Factory
10-16-2003, 01:25 AM
From a personal point of view I was sitting in a dealers discussing the bike first thing on the Monday after the launch as I was simply blown away by what I had seen on Aprilia's website.

If Aprilia are intending to change their marketing strategy I for one am all in favour. As has been said having to give dealers rebates to shift "old" stock is not good for the company or those who have bought bikes.

Could be that someone at Aprilia has been looking at how BMW market bikes, limited numbers so that most buyers need to order discounts are nil and residuals high. Same goes with the new Mini range also a BMW product. Also BMW use a dedicated hand held computer for maintenence which Aprilia have adopted with the new model, and thye have also radically changed their distribution network in Europe taking full comntrol rather than leaving it to local distributors.

I was happy to get my 04 Factory at full retail as I got a good trade in value on my old bike. While future value on the bike was not something I considered as I just had to have the new one, this "news" is definetly a positive.

Baron Samedi
10-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Interesting that BMW has moved to control the retail distribution outlets for Motorcycles in Europe. They'd love to do it here in the US too. I've worked for German auto franchises for over 15 years and one thing each manufacturer has in common is blaming the dealer network or American market for problems...whether they be the inability to move product or the sudden appearance of mechanical problems or reliability issues that "we never saw in Germany".

Fortunately for those of us employed in this industry, current franchise laws prevent an involutary takeover and it's unlikely that these laws will change any time soon.

Having said this, I agree with DVUS and Stinky. Buying any motorcycle, especially rolling artwork like most Italian bikes (excluding most recent Bologna product), is a hedonistic act and anybody trying to rationalize it as an investment is fooling themselves.

Thunder Factory
10-16-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Baron Samedi
. Buying any motorcycle, especially rolling artwork like most Italian bikes (excluding most recent Bologna product), is a hedonistic act and anybody trying to rationalize it as an investment is fooling themselves.

Got to agree with that one, the bike's not an investment, it's retail therapy and personally the only thing that keeps me half sane! :banana:

Baron Samedi
10-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Amen to the sanity retainer. It's been too long since I last had a bike and what I remember most fondly is the requirement (especially when riding quickly) to empty one's mind of everything except the task at hand. Exhilarating and yet at the same time relaxing. I've never experienced anything else that approaches the feeling.

Thunder Factory
10-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Baron Samedi
Amen to the sanity retainer. It's been too long since I last had a bike and what I remember most fondly is the requirement (especially when riding quickly) to empty one's mind of everything except the task at hand. Exhilarating and yet at the same time relaxing. I've never experienced anything else that approaches the feeling.

That's it exactly! When on the bike you can forget anyhthing I find.

Working for myself and with the office beside the house I find nothing bettter than pulling the gear on and going out for a quick blast, helps me deal with the worst the world can throw at me!:micah: :bond:

Dvus
10-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Oh yes!

The only time the bike looks the cleanest is when it's at the dealer's floor and the first night you have it parked in your garage. Gawking at it knowing that it's yours, but you still can't believe it thinking of all the mods you want to do. It's all down hill from there, but the bike looks the best from there! The moment you add those miles the bugs, pollen, and road debris that accumulates on the windscreen fork tubes and mid lower fairings. The dirt from well travelled miles coats the bike giving it the well worn look. Yeah I like being free and the feeling of flying even if it's on 2 wheels. The only thing better is feeling like that with a group that likes to rail too! Nothing below 100mph:D Except when LEO are around!