PDA

View Full Version : waiting on parts

Sixpack
10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
ok, its been almost 2 months now since I ordered some parts for the Tuono. (handlebar, misc bodywork, turn signals).

Can anybody give me an idea of how long they've waited for their stuff? I'm trying to get an idea of HOW MUCH LONGER APRILIA?

thanks fellas.

powerslide
10-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Aprilia US's parts warehouse sucks.

I had to play the waiting game when I had my Tuono in for a warranty replacement of a front brake caliper. They mislabeled the left and right side calipers and sent the wrong side to my dealer twice. Finally, after a month of waiting and several calls in, the dealer's parts manager had to bring the caliper back in his suitcase after he was there for another matter. Meanwhile, my bike was at the dealer's gathering dust. They had the caliper in the warehouse all this time :mad:

Sounds like you're having a longer wait than me. Good luck. Maybe a few calls will get things going.

ApexMolester
10-13-2003, 07:03 PM
how about a set of protaper bars/fat bars? they even come in gold, and have a set on my yz426;)

BigGlen
10-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ApexMolester
how about a set of protaper bars/fat bars? they even come in gold, and have a set on my yz426;)

WIll they work?

The Tuono bars are 1-1/8" at the mounts!

M747gm
10-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Yes, they will fit. Protapers and Renthal Fatbars are both 1-1/8 at the mounts.

ApexMolester
10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
and am pondering the thought of installing on my tuono...with black anodized levers it should look quite nice!

Nuovotuono
10-14-2003, 12:19 PM
anyone else played with different handlebars? I'm considering options for different bars / risers, actually thinkng about moving the bars down and away.

Ed/ Micah - were'nt you guys considering a project to look at new risers for the Tuono? I think some guys were wanting the bars pulled further back ??

BigGlen
10-14-2003, 12:26 PM
I would like lower Risers.

Nuovotuono
10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
LOWER would suit me just fine too, but will probably need different bars / fairing mods. That's cool too...

rainh8r
10-14-2003, 03:43 PM
You have to watch the rise on other bars; they may be too low. The Mille tank on the Tuono has cutouts for the clipons so the bars can turn farther than the edge of the tank. On the Tuono, this means that the bars are right on the tank at full lock, thus lower bars will hit the tank bulges above the cutouts.

bluestreak
10-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Good luck waiting for parts. I've been waiting 4 months for my owners manual and lower carbon fiber fairing. They suck in the parts business. I finnally got things moving after calling the Southwest regional manager Mark V. out of Austin, TX..

Sixpack
10-15-2003, 08:31 AM
sounds like I wont be buying another aprilia until they get alot better on parts...its a shame, because its a really nice bike, but I would much rather be riding it than watching it collect dust in the garage.

DutchTuono
10-15-2003, 10:39 AM
It has only been 10 days since my dealer ordered it and I just called to check and they told me that all the stuff has to be shipped from Italy. They dont keep stock in the US for any parts??? Common guys that is just un-heard of! They should at least have some parts for all the bikes they sell in the US at at least one domestic central distribution point. Does any one have a number higher up in the management rankings at Aprilia so we can get this "parts" supply problem solved?
Any phone numbers, names please bring it on.
Or does it not make any difference?
I am scared to drive my bike without the front fender because a rock might hit something else like a radiator and than I am really screwed.

Who is the top guy in Aprilia USA?......

ApexMolester
10-15-2003, 11:03 AM
it states to NOT brake, drop, crash your bike due to unforeseen parts delays at the factory LOL!

sad but true, parts are very hard to come by on the newer bikes and when they do arrive they are most likely incomplete or the wrong part all to gether.

i have to say that my dealer here in seaside ca. has had parts in my hands in 2-weeks and has never taken any longer....

BigGlen
10-15-2003, 11:10 AM
Lets start making some noise about the "PARTS PROBLEM"

I'll call/fax/e-mail.

Just tell me where & who!!

bluestreak
10-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Hey Sixpack and Dutchtuono,

The Southwest Area service manager is Marc V.( I did'nt get his full last name). His email is marc@apriliarider.com.. He seems to be a nice guy, wants to help. He helped me with my problem. Give him a shot. In conversation he mentioned there is a performace package for the tuono which uses 57mm throttle bodies, a different air box and Akropovic dual system that's made just for Aprilia that makes the bike scream. Looks like something to consider! Good luck. If we bitch enough, maybe they will get the parts issue fixed.

BigGlen
10-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Dear Mr. Marc,

I am the proud new owner of an Aprila Tuono. Its a fantastic bike with a stout engine.
But I'm having problems getting OEM parts.
I've been waiting two months for a factory workshop manual!

God forbid I have a tip over and need a handlebar or something.

What's the problem? I hear that there is no Aprilia parts inventory in the US and that everything is ordered from Italy direct. Is that true?

Appreciate your response,
Glen

Sixpack
10-15-2003, 04:40 PM
I sent him an email, so we will see what happens. I really hope the word gets out to Aprilia execs and they do something about it.

I think emailing some of the magazines may help too, especially if they do a story on it.

Motorcyclist I think has a Tuono as a long-termer right now. If they were to damage it, I would like to see how they'd react if they had the same issues.

Buyers should certainly know about this trouble beforehand so it can be factored into their puchase decision.

I'm pissed, but trying to remain calm :)

008man
10-15-2003, 04:58 PM
I will have to add to this thread. I have a Tuono Racing that cme with a slightly damaged tank, which my dealer promptly ordered. That was almost 2 months ago. The dealer checked stock, and there was a tank, suposedly in stock in the US. Should have been a 2 week wait, not 2 months (and maybe more). I am also waiting for the replacement stickers for my solo seat cowl. Who knows how long it will take to get them. Add in the fit and finish issues I am having with the bike and II am to the point of really regretting buying an Aprilia, no matter how good a bike it is. :bitchslap Aprilia needs to step up their quality and their parts availabilty. Even if having to bring the parts into the country from Italy, it shouldn't take more than 3 weeks IMO.

FrancoisK
10-15-2003, 08:51 PM
List of problems:
- some dealers don't have the part numbers for the Tuono (thanks to this forum, I now provide them those from the Aprilia Norway site)
- dealer then looks up prices.
- apparently, they can't tell if it is in the Aprilia warehouse in the US or not.
- dealer then *faxes* the info to the Aprilia warehouse.
... wait a week or so...
- if warehouse doesn't have it (pretty much the rule), it needs to come from Italy.
- at which point all bets on an ETA are off. Who knows how Aprilia USA warehouse communicates with HQ. Pigeons?

What I don't comprehend is Aprilia as a company seems high tech, robotics, advanced computer systems for design, slick web site, marketing etc. IBM even has ads in magazines saying that Aprilia is a showcase for them.

I don't believe it is a particularly difficult or expensive problem to solve. I don't also believe that the fault solely resides with the warehouse guys in Italy. If Aprilia is to succeed in the US, in particular selling scooters, Futuras and other bikes heavily used for daily transportation, they need a minimum inventory of parts in the US. And feedback as to their availability -- why not, right on the web for all their customers to see.

AF1/anybody know names of Aprilia USA or Aprilia Italy that would be willing to listen?

DutchTuono
10-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Guys, please check some responses at the other forum for the RSV's which is a much bigger forum!
Erik

DutchTuono
10-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Sorry, try again, please check out the responses on the rsv forum , "Aprilia parts supply problems".

BigGlen
10-16-2003, 09:12 AM
>>>
>>>Hi Glen,

That is absolutely incorrect. We stock well over 3 million dollars in
inventory in our US warehouse in Atlanta, GA. We continually analyze our
inventory and sales data to try our best to stock the proper parts for
inventory. I'm sure you can recognize the difficulty in this procedure.
We do not normally stock workshop manuals for two reasons; 1. lack of
sales, and 2. due to liability issues when non-certified service
technicians work on the product. I'm sure you can imagine the issues
that may occur when this happens.

I do apologize for the delay in getting this manual for you. If you
would kindly let me know who the dealer is that you ordered it from I
will gladly research the situation and try and resolve it as quickly as
possible for you.

Thanks for becoming an Aprilia customer.

Kind regards, Marc

Marc Vandament
Area Manager - Southwest
Aprilia World Service USA<<<<
>>>>
>>>>

Ted in Evanston
10-18-2003, 08:05 AM
That's encouraging that he even replied. Let's see if he comes thru w/your manual.

I emailed them too re: the lower cowl that was damaged on my Tuono at delivery, over 3 months ago...

DutchTuono
10-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Well , something is working! The local dealer called me today that they expect the fender in end of next week. The Aprilia rep and the dealer have talked to each other after my calls and emails!
Let's see.!
E.

bluestreak
11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
After five months of waiting for a new lower carbon faring that was damaged in the original shipment to my dealer, the dealer called to say it was finally here. When I got there and saw the part, it had many holes in the leading edge/front bend of the faring. I was pissed! When I expressed my feelings to the manager, he said they too noticed the holes and had contacted Aprilia when they recieved the part. He stated the factory said the holes are "normal imperfections" in a carbon fiber part. Bull $%^&*!.. I can't seem to find any similar "normal imperfections" in any of the other carbon fiber parts on my bike or other bikes on the dealer showroom. I come from and have worked in the manufacturing industry. We commonly call these "normal imperfections" manufacturing defects and they are rejected when found. I can't believe Aprilia and the dealer would try to pass this off to someone! Due to the brittle nature of carbon fiber, I will not accept anything less than a structurally sound part. Can you imagine the damage that could ocur if this lower faring came apart at freeway speed and impacted the rear tire. Carbon fiber shatters into glass like pieces. Remember the space shuttle foam impact on the wing incident?
In general, I've been very pleased with my bike, but the spare parts issues they have are a joke. It took four months to get my owners manual and I'm still waiting on the faring. I have placed a call to Marc Vandament (the area manager for the southwest). We'll see how they respond. Let's not accept inferior parts or dealers from manufacturers. When you pay this much money for a bike, you shouldn't have to.

008man
11-11-2003, 02:53 PM
I am being told that there are no part numbers from Aprilia for the Tuono Racing . I received my Tuono Racing with a slightly damaged tank, and my dealer ordered a Tank that he thought was the correct one, but it turns out it was for the R model, not the Racing. I have been waitng for over 2 and a half months, and they can't even order the tank because they don't even have a part number!! The seat cowl didn't fit, but I fixed that only to find the number plate stickers don't line up with the ones on the bike. Again, no part numbers! This kind of support is ridiculous. Aprilia will never gain in market share if they don't fix their quality and logistic problems. (just venting) :bitchslap

clarkie49
11-11-2003, 09:34 PM
5 Fuel tank, red 4 - - Rs f.red 8178257
Fuel tank, black 4 - - F - 8168798
Fuel tank, black 4 - - Rs d.bla 8178242
Fuel tank, silver 4 - - Rs s.mir 8178253
Fuel tank, red 3 - - - t.red 8168218
Fuel tank, black 3 - - - rc 8168798
Fuel tank, grey 3 - - - m.grey 8168512
Fuel tank, black 2 - - - rac 8168061

here are the avaliable part numbers for the tuono tanks.

top 4 are '04s
next 3 are '03's

lowest one is the '02, which i think is the tuono R, not racing as the code states, i think (and this is just my opinion by looking at the year models) that the black tank part# rc8168798 is the racing tank

notice how the '02 version code is rac and the '03 version is t.red, m.grey or 'rc'

may be worth checking out.

clarkie

bluestreak
11-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by DutchTuono
Well , something is working! The local dealer called me today that they expect the fender in end of next week. The Aprilia rep and the dealer have talked to each other after my calls and emails!
Let's see.!
E.

Hello Dutchtuono,

Did I meet you at eximport? Do you have a 03 Racing as do I? I live in Houston also. Let's get together to ride sometime. I talked with Ed at AF1 yesterday and he mentioned you were in europe for a month or so. Give me a buzz.

008man
11-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info Clarkie. I will bounce this off my dealer (Don at Scuderia in SF), and see if this helps. :D