PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

keithc
05-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Please look at the link below. It look slike this XT660X owner has fitted Aprilia Pegaso Strada wheels to his bike.
I have left a question asking if this is the case as it could mean that we have a possabilty of a supply of 17" wire wheels to fit our bikes. This would include a front wheel that takes a 120/70-17 tyre, giving us a better choice of rubber (I am thinking of Goldspeed pre cut slicks :) )
http://www.xt660.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=16&c=2

Keith

joe bar
05-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Can't view the image on the link supplied. Can you post the picture here Keith?

g-man
05-23-2007, 03:45 AM
I think the Diablos that come standard on the bike are more than enough.

Really suit the bike, loads of grip, and when they do slide a bit (if your really ham fisted in 2nd with loads of lean) they're really progressive and dont just snap out. (this might be the power delivery of the single that helps it too). The get up to temp very quickly as they are designed as a road tyre, they're quite good in the wet too.

I'm sure Panda moved to a bigger front and said it slowed down the steering a bit.

In my opinion, and this is only my humble opinion mind:) , best thing to do is keep the Diablos, give it a click more rear preload, harden up the rear shock a few clicks, and fit the factory pegs to give it more ground clearence. Totally changed the bike. :cheers:

Panda
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I've got a 120/70 on at the minute, but I'm about to stick a 110/70 back on. The 120 slows down the turn in, but feels a bit better mid corner. There isn't enough clearance between the mudguard and the exhaust to drop the forks through the yokes.
I only fitted the 120 because I was almost off the edges of the front 110.
If its grip your after, try Pirelli Supercorsas - 110/70 HR17s are available.
I totally agree with G-Man, the Diablos are a great tyre.

Elvis
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I've got a 120/70 on at the minute, but I'm about to stick a 110/70 back on. The 120 slows down the turn in, but feels a bit better mid corner. There isn't enough clearance between the mudguard and the exhaust to drop the forks through the yokes.
I only fitted the 120 because I was almost off the edges of the front 110.
If its grip your after, try Pirelli Supercorsas - 110/70 HR17s are available.
I totally agree with G-Man, the Diablos are a great tyre.

Hi there Panda
I see allot of people thinks that if the chicken stripes are gone they reached the end of the tire grip and this ain't true, when you are going hard in a corner and you reach the end mark of the tires there something like pinching of the tire end that make the rubber stretch a bit and give more grip.

g-man
05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I see allot of people thinks that if the chicken stripes are gone they reached the end of the tire grip and this ain't true, when you are going hard in a corner and you reach the end mark of the tires there something like pinching of the tire end that make the rubber stretch a bit and give more grip.

Thats pretty interesting to know. :plus: The bike seems like it scrubs off the edge of the front really easily but doesn't do the same with the rear.

So i always thought the front would tuck if the bike had more lean angle, but it's not tucked yet even with the new higher pegs still touching down sometimes too. Think the fact the front hasn't run out of grip yet is that the big leans are in the faster sweepers 70+ and it's on the throttle so it's not really stressing the front too much. Colin Edwards said "you cant loose the front on the throttle", and i've stuck to that theory and it seems to work.

I'll prob post up now from a hospital bed as i lose the front on my next run. :happy:

Panda
05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi there Panda

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it starts to feel a bit "iffy" when you get there!

G-Man, I might actually be up this weekend, I've just heard my Dad is one of the 83 Tesco drivers who wasn't bullied into accepting a new contract to suit Tesco (after 11 years driving for them and a faultless driving record) and has had his 90 day dismissal letter today.
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=801202007
Boycott Tesco Thursday to Sunday this week!

g-man
05-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but it starts to feel a bit "iffy" when you get there!

G-Man, I might actually be up this weekend, I've just heard my Dad is one of the 83 Tesco drivers who wasn't bullied into accepting a new contract to suit Tesco (after 11 years driving for them and a faultless driving record) and has had his 90 day dismissal letter today.
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=801202007
Boycott Tesco Thursday to Sunday this week!

Cool, i'm working 10 till 8 on sat and 10 till 7.30 on sunday, so dunno if we can tie up the times. You've got the number anyway.

Tesco sounds like the major breakdown company i work for. Bully boy tactics and spineless management. At least the GMB are trying to do their bit to try and embarrass our lot into backing down.

Panda
05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Cool, i'm working 10 till 8 on sat and 10 till 7.30 on sunday, so dunno if we can tie up the times. You've got the number anyway.

Tesco sounds like the major breakdown company i work for. Bully boy tactics and spineless management. At least the GMB are trying to do their bit to try and embarrass our lot into backing down.
It's more likely Sunday/Monday, if I make it I'll give you a shout.

Honestly, they way Tesco have behaved over this has really opened my eyes, and I thought my eyes were pretty wide open.

g-man
05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Thats even better..... sundays my last shift on then i'm off on my 3 days.

OZRS
05-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Guys, while you're on the subject of wheels, do you mind if i go off the topic a bit and ask a favour - I'm fitting a pegaso strada rear to my RS250. My dealer doesn't have a strada in stock at the moment. So would someone mind posting a couple of close-up pictures of the sprocket and rear caliper assemblies. I'd be real grateful for any help.

joe bar
05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Guys, while you're on the subject of wheels, do you mind if i go off the topic a bit and ask a favour - I'm fitting a pegaso strada rear to my RS250. My dealer doesn't have a strada in stock at the moment. So would someone mind posting a couple of close-up pictures of the sprocket and rear caliper assemblies. I'd be real grateful for any help.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6376/webcimg3409yy1.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1135/webcimg3389kr3.jpg

keithc
05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
As far as tyres go, I can only comment as I find. The standard tyres do seem to be reasonable, but the combination of Avon pro extreme rain on the front and either the Avon Distanza (if only they would hold togehter long enough to wear them out) or the Maxix Goldspeed pre cut slick that I have fitted to my Baghira 660 give a more planted feel.
The steering on the MZ is a little slower than the Strada, but I prefer the extra confidence the tyres give.

Keith

OZRS
06-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks Joe Bar.