PDA

View Full Version : trail anygood ?

redcapman
05-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi all just an idea i am thinking of chopping my capo in for a trail but i have a few questions , i had an xt660r before the capo last year and to be blunt that bike was aload of pooh ! so
1,has the engine surging been cured
2,any weaving above 70mph
3,any clutch slipping issues
4,any complete stopping issues
5,any fork seal trouble
any info appreciated the capo is a great bike but a bit big and heavy i would like to go offroad more and she is just to big and cumbersome.
Cheers Roger

joe bar
05-13-2007, 10:17 AM
1,has the engine surging been cured
2,any weaving above 70mph
3,any clutch slipping issues
4,any complete stopping issues
5,any fork seal trouble

1. I have a Strada, and it doesn't have any surge issues.
2. Don't know if your XT weaved but my Strada doesn't, neither did my previous 2 Pegaso's.
3,4,5. Not heard of any clutch slipping issues, braking or forkseal problems.

.......... the capo is a great bike but a bit big and heavy i would like to go offroad more and she is just to big and cumbersome.
Cheers Roger

The Pegaso is a traile, but not a full on off roader - how far off road do you want to go?

redcapman
05-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Cheers Joe i would like to be able to go down the local tracks etc but i recently went to Morocco and my mate wanted to go off piste riding and i was to scared to take the Capo .The xt would have been ideal but was so unreliable i could not trust it .My mate is going back there and i might give it a go on a trail ,i had a Pegaso 3 before and thought it was an incredible tool only sold it because i got a bargain with a previous capo. Cheers for that ,howabout any wind buffeting issues the capo is quite bad for this.

keithc
05-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi

I havent covered enough miles on my Strada to comment on most of your questions, however looking at the specs the trail does not seem to have much suspension travel for a trail bike for anything other than light of road work, 6.69 inches front and rear.
This isnt to much of an issue for me on the Strada as I wont be going off road on it much, if at all.

Keith

joe bar
05-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Off road I'd say this is about the Trail's comfort zone given the right conditions. Weather and trails on this particular day were pretty good, or else I'd have stayed away with 17" wheels, and put my off road 21" / 18" wheels and tyres.

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/8165/cimg3157smallmv7.jpg

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3383/cimg3173smallcj9.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/641/cimg3186smallle4.jpg

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3144/cimg3203smallgx2.jpg

Peak District - Derbyshire :)

keithc
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Cant help noticing that you didnt use the Aprilia :) CCM is probablly lighter and with better suspension for this type of terrain, even with little wheel on.

Keith

joe bar
05-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Cant help noticing that you didnt use the Aprilia :) CCM is probablly lighter and with better suspension for this type of terrain, even with little wheel on.

Keith

Photo's were taken before I had the Aprilia, I didn't buy the Strada to go off road, I still have the CCM :)

oz-strom
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
I also would be interested in anyone's experience using the Trail as an all-roads tourer with 50% offroadin Australia. I currently ride a Vstrom 650 , but it is a bit heavy and limited off-road. So I am looking at the Pegaso Trail as a compromise (I previously had a DR650, but it was too uncomfortable for the road component). I travel fairly light and mainly 2-3 day trips every month, and a couple of week long trips twice a year. I ride with guys on GS1200s, GS650s, KTM 990/950/640/525, DR650, etc).

Also has anyone tried any performance bits other than the cans and airbox mods?

Any major issues with the bike?

rodrigo
05-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I do 50% on-road/50% off-road, more or less, and the Trail behaves perfectly for my use on road. For off-road, the limitations are more on my part than on the bike's. Some things, like putting enduro tyres, helped a lot for me, given my little experience off-road, and I have to say that I have took the Trail to lots of different terrains (mud, sand, high step downhills, rocky paths, etc), and it has behaved great.

If you are going to do more off-road, enduro, I'd suggest you to buy another bike (like a RXV given we are on an Aprilia forum :) ). If you want to do on-road and light enduro (that is, Trail :) ), the Pegaso Trail is perfect, at least that's my experience so far.