PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Cans

g-man
05-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Following on from the posts in the "CO Again thread".....

Got the cans yesterday. They're a lot lighter than the standard ones. Fit well (you have to use a spacer on the right one) and sit neat tucked up under the side panels.

I took the noise restricter out straight away and went on an 80mile run. HOLY CAMOLY!!!!!! It is way WAY too loud. Sounds like a race quad or a 4stroke motocrossbike. Deep and boomy on idle, then cracks loud when revved on on the overrun. Rolling off for corners it would go.... burble, burble,bang, bang,.....silence......BANG. Sounded like someone firing a gun!!! The cans are actually quite small too .

Bike is much quicker. Loads more grunt mainly in the middle fo the rev range and maybe a bit more top end. Power delivery basicly feels the same as before, just that there is more of it.

Put the restrictors back in and it quietened right down. But now it's too quiet and it feels held back again. Pics here...

The ends of the pipes up where the holes are drilled are welded shut!! So the only way for the gasses to escape is through the holes drilled in the end. (the holes are drilled right through so there are 6 in each pipe) Seriously restricting it. So i cut the welded end off the pipe and drilled another 4 holes in each. Tried again, perfect. Nice spread of power again, nice crack and pops on the overrun.

MikeT
05-10-2007, 04:49 AM
I have them on my Cube - and yes, way loud, lots more throttle response and with no rejet, seem to be nicely carburetted.

Did you get the db killers with them? I didn't :(

g-man
05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Did you get the db killers with them? I didn't :(

Yes, they came fitted with them.

keithc
05-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Dam they look good. G-man, please forward the cash so I can get some :)

Keith

g-man
05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Ha ha. Even i dont have the cash for them yet!!!!

Strada_Stu
05-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Very nice pipes :worship: and thank you for the photos.
My mate has just got Arrows on his Honda FMX and they sound amazing. I have been looking at all the exhaust options available for the Strada for a while, here's what I have found so far.....

Arrow's
331 ish including post from Italy ebay motoman-one item no300106139402
or 393.03 +post bbbikeshop.co.uk maybe a little discount if I ask:rolleyes:
These are my favourites overall, looks and price wise. Plus they don't have a band strap type bracket around them which must also be easier to clean.

MiVV's sportlines pics at www.mivv.it
from www.carpimoto.com in Italy
Aluminium are Euros385 = 261 @0.67 exchange rate plus postage on top.
I like the look of these too, and definatly the price, but not sure about how easy the baffle goes in and out? Must find out postage price.

Akrapovic's pics at www.akrapovic-exhaust.com
571 From Demon Tweeks
Not sure how much the actual Aprilia Akro's are, anyone?
These things do look very nice, just a tad expensive I think.

Leo Vince's
Haven't looked up any prices, I don't like them, as I think they are too long out the back of the bike, look here. Sorry about long link!
http://www.sitogroup.com/servlet/page?_pageid=114&_dad=sitop30&_schema=SITOP30&voce_menu_sx=76&voce_menu_dx=119759&voce_menu_sx=76&voce_menu_dx=89&codprd=7828&prgtmp=&sessione=

g-man
05-10-2007, 08:20 AM
I got quoted £500 for the carbon or aluminium Ackro's for my local dealer. The genuine badged ones were £600 but he said it could be months before they arrived.

The cheapest i saw the Arrows were for £367 converted from euros on the redlineracing site. But they were coming from Italy and would take 20days to arrive. I paid slightly more that this and got them the next day from a BBBikeshop.

The Leo's seem to sit at a strange angle, kinda low at the end nearest the engine and hang down a good bit form the side panel. I found the Leo's online somewhere for the same price as the Arrows. It's just i liked the style of the Arrows better and i think they look a bit neater.:)

Strada_Stu
05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
MiVV's sportlines pics at www.mivv.it
from www.carpimoto.com in Italy
Aluminium are Euros385 = 261 @0.67 exchange rate plus postage on top.
I like the look of these too, and definatly the price, but not sure about how easy the baffle goes in and out? Must find out postage price.

Got some more info on the MiVV exhausts from an email I sent to the UK importer www.motohaus.com .......

There is 3 choices of Mivv Exhaust available for the Pegas Strada 650. They are all of an oval shape and are all Road Legal with removable baffles

They are available in Titan at 348.33, Carbon at 348.33 and also in Alloy at 275.00. These prices are the rrp including vat.

We do not have the items in stock and so once ordered the item will take 2-3 working weeks.

As the Mivv exhaust are Bike specific and there are so many different ones for the same bike Dealers do not keep them as a stock item. You can order direct from us if it helps.

pegasobaz
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
They look really smart, I agree with Strada Stu's comments as I also don't like seperate straps to hold the silencer in place. Did the same thing with the baffles on the Beowulf can I had on the Bandit12 as you have done to get the right balance of noise/loudness. Now need to raise cash to fund these and carbon hand guards and factory back brake pedal!

g-man
05-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Now need to raise cash to fund these and carbon hand guards and factory back brake pedal!

Get the pegs too. Really set it off, and give more ground clearence. They'd look cooler much smarter with the silver on the rear brake pedal too.

I think the airbox mod, then the cans should be 1st on the list though. :burnout:

athelstan
05-11-2007, 05:10 AM
I think the cans look great. They not only look better but they appear to be significantly shorter. The original cans seem to be far too near the rear indicators for my liking.

Xeno
05-11-2007, 05:37 AM
I've had the Carbon Akros for approx 6 months now along with a DNA air filter and they are superb. They sound fantastic (with the modified baffle inserts), they look fab on the black bike especially with the Carbon Akro exhaust heat shield and they never get hot. I was always burning my fingers on the standard cans when pushing the bike in the garage.

The only slight problem is that to get the smoothest power delivery which gets rid of the 3000rpm stutter completely the road legal baffles need to be removed. The power is creamy then but its just too loud to live with. Modifying the baffles is a good comprimise although I'm not sure weather they would pass an MOT but thats 2years away. My dealer told me that the replacement road legal baffles cost approx 75+vat.

Will post some pics at some stage but need to take some at a lower resolution for this site.

g-man
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I really wanted the carbon Ackro's to begin with, but i'm happy with the Arrows. Couldn't really stretch the extra for them at the moment either, so that swayed me towards the Arrows even more.

Post up some pics when you get time, they'll look great. I just reduced the size of the pic in paint and it lowered it enough for the site to take it. :)

Xeno
05-14-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm:burnout: really pleased with these cans and I think they look superb although I'd never seen a set prior to ordering. I also bought the Carbon hand guards and the Exhaust heat shield from Aprilia which come with the Akrapovic logo as well. I'm not sure if they would look so good on a red bike but I kind of like the all black look.

joe bar
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I think it was g-man's photo's that finally did for me - just ordered a set of the Arrows, lthey do ook good and appear to fit well without the universal wrap round band.

Also had an Arrow system on my original '96 Pegaso, and was pleased with that.

Cost wise the Arrow's do seem about the best quality / price combo. The Akro's are nice but, they are not cheap, espescially when taken as a percentage cost of the bike !!

Now, I must stop spending :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

joe bar
05-24-2007, 04:05 AM
The Arrows have arrived and they're on. Not had chance to ride it yet, but pleased with the fit and finish. :happy: :happy:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3465/webarrowca4.jpg

Joybringer
03-26-2008, 06:23 AM
G-Man...

...when you say you drilled 4 more holes, was that 2 per side (totalling 4), or 4 per side??

Do you also happen to remember what diameter the holes are?

I'm waiting for my Arrows, so any advice will be welcomed!

:cheers:

JB

Strada_Stu
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
G-Man...

...when you say you drilled 4 more holes, was that 2 per side (totalling 4), or 4 per side??

Do you also happen to remember what diameter the holes are?

I'm waiting for my Arrows, so any advice will be welcomed!

:cheers:

JB

Not sure If G-man comes on here much more since he sold his Pegaso. If it helps I modified some arrow baffels when I had them on my strada. The main mod is cutting off the baffels internal pipe blanked end, this alone makes a big difference. Its then just a case of trying them out to see what you think. Adding more holes and trying out each time till you get a good noise verses engine smoothness balance. I think I ended up adding 4 more holes too each, ie 2 per side all the way through. I don't think it matter what size holes you add. Just keep testing it each time before you drill too much, and I would suggest a bench press drill and vice when drilling tubes.
If you ever need to reverse the process for MOT or noise test it would just be a case of reblanking the end and the extra holes up.
Stu

Joybringer
03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks!!

JB

g-man
03-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Yep, i cut the blanking bit off the end and drilled 2 holes on each one right the way though (so 4 holes).

I sold them to a guy on here from Ireland, so he'll be the man to tell you how they sound now.

oz-strom
03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I did the "saw the end off the baffle" mod to my Arrows, but no extra holes - but I find them a bit too loud now. As I don't expect that drilling holes will make it quieter, I plan to "semi-block" the baffle by inserting some mesh inside the baffle tube. Hopefully it will not impact performance too much, but bring the volume down to a more acceptable level.

Any thoughts welcomed.

scorpio
03-27-2008, 05:59 AM
I did the "saw the end off the baffle" mod to my Arrows, but no extra holes - but I find them a bit too loud now. As I don't expect that drilling holes will make it quieter, I plan to "semi-block" the baffle by inserting some mesh inside the baffle tube. Hopefully it will not impact performance too much, but bring the volume down to a more acceptable level.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I also have in mind to remove the end of the baffles on my Arrow cans. Besides the sound, did you notice any performance improvement after cutting the baffle end?

oz-strom
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I also have in mind to remove the end of the baffles on my Arrow cans. Besides the sound, did you notice any performance improvement after cutting the baffle end?

Yes there was a noticable improvement in engine response with the more free flowing exhaust.

Joybringer
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Fitted mine on Saturday with some help (thanks, bro) and just removed the end blanking plate. That seems to be enough noise for me, for the moment.

Bit too early to say what improvements, if any, have been noticed as a result, but the popping and farting on gear changes and throttle-offs, makes up for that!!

Still grinning....!

Still have a couple of things to finish prepping on me Peg, and I'll try and get some pics up in the next week or so.

JB