PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slip fixed!

BigGlen
10-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Remember Me? I had a problem with the clutch slipping in the power band. WIth only 1000mi on my Tuono, I did not expect that.
Well it wasnt the check valve. It wasnt glazed plates either.

IT WAS TOO MUCH HYDR. FLUID IN THE SYSTEM!

The clutch can actually be pumped up TOO firmly (like from a good bleed). Consequently, it will have some EXCESS hydrolic pressure in the system that aplies slightly against the push rod. This then prevents the clutch from being a full 100% locked. I Remembered I had just flushed the clutch fluid last week and bled and pumped up the the lever really good. In fact, I noticed that the engagement point moved up at the lever to where it acts on the slave cyclider as soon as I move the lever through its first 3/4" of travel!

So I released some fluid from the bleeder at the slave cyl. while I put a little pressure on the lever
and, ta- da, it worked! I just took it for a blast on the highway and gave it lots of power band throttle and got noting but pure acceration. NO SLIP!
:banana:

So it was either bled & pumped up too well or there was simply too much fluid in the reseviour. I now make sure theres a little space in the top of the resevior as well.

THANKS GeneS of the Forum for the tip!!

Glen:p

Ricky J
10-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Any residual pressure in the lines should be released back to the reservoir via the master cylinder valving when you let go of the lever. For that reason I don't think there's such a thing as "too good" a bleed of a hydraulic system. Overfilling a reservoir, on the other hand, can make it impossible for the lines to fully depressurize and this gets worse as things heat up and fluid expands. The same problems seen with brake reservoir overfills apply here. That's your culprit, barring a problem with the master cylinder.

Scary
10-11-2003, 06:59 PM
It's great to get this feed back on this.
I've noticed there is a big difference in stroke length at the master cyl. if you set the lever adjustment on setting 1 & watch how far in the stroke is when the clutch lever is all the way into the handle bar,then set it to 4 & watch there is a noticeable difference in stroke length.
I'm wondering if any of you thing this may be haveing some affect on all this.
All the best.

BigGlen
10-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I definately overfilled the system. when I installed the cap and diaphram there was no airspace left in the reservoir.

Its as you said Rick.

thanks,
Glen

Manu
10-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Scary
[It's great to get this feed back on this.
I've noticed there is a big difference in stroke length at the master cyl. if you set the lever adjustment on setting 1 & watch how far in the stroke is when the clutch lever is all the way into the handle bar,then set it to 4 & watch there is a noticeable difference in stroke length.
I'm wondering if any of you thing this may be haveing some affect on all this.
All the best.

At least I noticed it can affect clutch drag and finding neutral problem. With the longer stroke no problems to get neutral, but my fingers are too short to handle it comfortably ;)

Scary
10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi Manu.
Yep ! I had found it made a big difference to my clunky gear changes & finding neutral too.Set on 1 was a bit out of reach so I'm set on 2 now and it's been great for the last 8000 + kms.
Thanks for the reply I was wondering if it was just me.Now it may help others too.
Enjoy.

BigGlen
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I've had it on #4 setting. I'll go to #3 and see if it makes shifting smoother and "N" easier.:cool: