PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning...

Pimmie
10-11-2003, 11:49 AM
I just got the first cleaning of my new Tuono done. The last ride was in very rainy conditions...

It's not the easiest bike to get clean is it?:(

Ricky J
10-11-2003, 01:31 PM
The so-called standard bikes of yesteryear weren't easy or quick to clean with all their exposed componentry, nooks and crannies. A Tuono shares this nakedness so it doesn't surprise me to hear it needs a little more time in the bathtub.

wadham
10-11-2003, 02:52 PM
If you imagine there is a fairing on the bike and only clean the bits that would be visible if the fairing was on, then it gets a lot easier.

Steve

cornercarver
10-11-2003, 11:59 PM
You think you've got it bad, I got stuck behind a herd of cows being herded up a Utah highway by 4 cowboys last weekend in the pouring rain. THey were running up the road, so there was no real way through. Meanwhile, the cows and horses were leaving a grotesque and slippery mess across the entire width of the road. I finally found time to clean the thing today and it was every bit as gross as you'd imagine. Ugh!

--sam

Pimmie
10-12-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by cornercarver
You think you've got it bad, I got stuck behind a herd of cows being herded up a Utah highway by 4 cowboys last weekend in the pouring rain. THey were running up the road, so there was no real way through. Meanwhile, the cows and horses were leaving a grotesque and slippery mess across the entire width of the road. I finally found time to clean the thing today and it was every bit as gross as you'd imagine. Ugh!

--sam

Would you mind if I didn't imagine that? At all? The thought alone of removing all that dung from between every nook an crannie, the radiator, you're calipers, you're helmet?

Yuck... :(

I just had to remove some sand and dirt. Reading your reply just tells me to stop whining...:p

Drt Boy
10-12-2003, 05:10 PM
I just returned from three days in Georga, Tennessee and N. Carolina. It rained on us all three days, but not all day, and we did get lots of good riding in. Deals gap 4 times, highway 28 twice, N. C. 215 (one of my fave's) and 276, the BRP and Cahrola (?) Skyway twice (and more)! And to top it off, Friday night we spent the night with a friend who lives outside Maggie Valley and has a 1/4 mile dirt/gravel driveway. We left Saturday morning in the rain and trashed the bikes throughly (my buddy rides a perfect 2000 BMW GS1100S).

I just came in from 2 hours of cleaning and it's still got places I notice that need attention! Those rims got to be the worst. This is a daily driver so it never really stays 100 % clean but it's never been this trashed before.

Performance, on the other hand, was awesome! This is the first time I've really been able to put the Tuono to task and I wanna tell you it was great! We did 700 miles of two lane twisties in three days and got overtaken once. It definately brought the Hooligan out in me as we passed over the double yellow many, many times.

DB

cornercarver
10-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Pimmie
Would you mind if I didn't imagine that? At all? The thought alone of removing all that dung from between every nook an crannie, the radiator, you're calipers, you're helmet?

Yuck... :(

I just had to remove some sand and dirt. Reading your reply just tells me to stop whining...:p

Fortunately, we were going slow enough behind the cows that there was no dung in the helmet. Everywhere else, though. I wound up covering electronics and exhaust with plastic and taking it to a do-it-yourself car wash and attacking it with the high pressure hose where I could before doing a regular cleaning on the poor thing. It still needs some work, but it's presentable, at any rate. I still need to do the wheels, since I didn't want to risk the bearings with the high pressure water.

--sam