PDA

View Full Version : Air Box mod

g-man
04-26-2007, 04:56 AM
Thought it would be best to keep it all in one thread. :)

I followed Panda and the Grump's instructions and modified the airbox today.
In the 1st one i removed the rubber air intake funnel and cut it just under the lip where it goes into the airbox and removed 2/3rds of the pipe that dropped down. Pic here....

The second one and the one that was a bit trickier to do was to remove the resonator. I took the lower bolts out that hold the tank on and it lets the tank move up slightly. Had to knock the original clip off with a hammer and long screwdriver. Cut off the resonator box from the tube, filed it so it was flat to get a good seal. Then cut a circle out of the old box and superglued it to the pipe, then refitted with a jubilee clip. Pic here....

g-man
04-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Just had the bike out........ BRILLIANT!!!! There really in a noticeable difference. Feels like it has more torque in the middle of the rev range. Not any difference at the top end i dont think, but it grunts out the corners much better now. :)

I got to the bottom of the street, pulled out onto the road and clutched it up in 2nd. Normally it just kinda bounces the front up an inch or so, pretty crap, but this time it came up about a foot and stayed up for a few seconds. Tried again, same thing!!

Big difference for zero cost!! Definately worth doing!! :plus:

g-man
04-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Went one step futher and completely removed the intake funnel. Not sure it really made anymore difference, but man, it totally changes the sound of the bike. Loads of big thumper induction roar. Sounds ace!!

BPStrada
04-30-2007, 04:08 AM
Hey Gman

can you let us know how your fuel economy is affected by changes

Cheers BP

g-man
04-30-2007, 07:52 AM
It seems to be the same. I filled it to the brim and have been about 3-4 short(ish) runs on it. On every run i've been going hard, no town riding, all country roads, fast sweepers and tight hairpins. Got to 100miles before the fuel light flickered on for the 1st time, then rode another 20 miles to fill up again.

:cheers:

keithc
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I might like to try this mod, but the pictures of the resonator, while clear, dont really give a good indication of where it is.
Could you take a picture from a bit further out so I can get a better idea of where it is.

Keith

g-man
05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Wont be able to get pics for a few days. The wires you see underneath are for the throttle position sensor. If you stand at the left hand side of the bike, the side you put the key in to remove the seat. Take off the seat, then look at where the airbox joins intake hose to the throttle body, the resonator is a black plastic box to the right of it, you cant miss it. It's just infront of the white solenoid which operates the tank lid.

g-man
05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Quick labeled pic here...

the_grump
05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
As I feel somewhat responsible for starting this, I thought it was about time I supplied a bit more detailled information:

1- the beastie itself. Aprilia being Aprilia the resonator is not exactly shaped like no.8 on the drawing, but its still pretty close (the little appendix to the right and the "blow by" are simply - not there). With the explosion drawing I think all of You should be able to locate the box. The fuel tank does not have to be removed entirely, for the operation, but it helps.

2 - the dimensions of the plug neccessary to close the hole left by the disgarded resonator. All measurements in mm my, imperial friends ;-)
And do not forget ann extrenal clamp to secure the plug (remember not to tighten it too much - or the soft rubber of the air intake funnel will get cut, and that one ain't cheap)

Hope this helps
.....happy resonating, lads

the_grump

keithc
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for that, it enabled me to find the parts with ease. How much are you guys cutting off of the air intake funnel? It looks like you are removing all of the part of it in the air filter box.
Thanks for everyones help.

Keith

g-man
05-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks for that, it enabled me to find the parts with ease. How much are you guys cutting off of the air intake funnel? It looks like you are removing all of the part of it in the air filter box.
Thanks for everyones help.

Keith

I've pulled the full thing out and run without it.

Budweiser
05-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Hi all. Having just bought my Milli R (02) I contacted my local dealer who suggested I pay for them to check it over, including a Dyno (not for power output more to check the fueling map) as it has a non standard slip on can and the air box mod. He said this is ok but if the fuel mixture is to lean it could cause damage to the engine. He recons I would need to fit a PC111 to sort this out properly or revert the bike to standard trim. So do you guy have the said PC or Im I being given a load of :bs:

Cheers Don

the_grump
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey ,
I'm afraid it is going to be one of the Radio Erivan answers: in principle yes...., in real life.....:rolleyes:
All modern street legal bikes, freshly out of the factories, are running a bit lean to be able to meet the pollution standards, but not in all rev areas. Usually adding a K&N filter is just about the limit of what the engines can handle without being "re-jetted". An engine running too lean at high revs will run too hot and eventually will a burn a hole in the pistons, followed by the valves being consumed. Running too rich, by the way, will be inefficient and "wash off" the neccessary oil film on the cylinder wall....
But as "re-jetting" is not an option any longer, because those lovely pieces of garbage called a carburators are gone, we can't have the same fun than in the good ol' days when we tried to re-jett fourcylinders by hit and miss, hanging needles high and low, destroying cart loads of highly sensitive milled bits of brass, leaving our last hard earned pennies at the grinning dealers. Those of You old enough will know what I'm talking about:happy:
Anyway, theoretically it would be no sweat for any dealer to re-adjust the fuel air maps on the onboard ECU's if the bloody manufactures would give us access the wee beasties. Well, they don't, so we have to buy a PowerCommander PC III which gives You the chance to feed the ECU with pre-processed data regarding air flow, fuel pressure etc... hence, if You feel brave enough You can re-adjust Your bike Yourself, or You can opt to give it to a dealer with a DynoJet teststand - who has a programm that automatically programs Your PC III to the best values. (highly recommended)
Theoretically this means You loose Your EU homologation for the bike, but You'll never want to drive without one again :fangs:
All the crappy sidesteps the manufactures have to built in for the homologation (such as a deduction in power at mid.revs, where one wants them most, just to meet the drive-by noise test:WTF: can be neutralized with a PC III. WIth some bikes You can even achieve a reduction in fuel consumption, while still gaining some torque.
To the business of removing the snorkels - I wouldn't take them out entirely myself. The outside bit is also a protection against to much water enter the box, but shortening probably won't hurt too much. The inside is a bit trickier.
Its that long for two reasons. One being noise, but the other one is to steady the flow of air. I don't ave any proove of this But I would venture that You actually loose power at some revs if YOu remove the internal part.
But then it does wonders for the sound, and isn't immediately visible either :)
To cut a long story short:
With just a K&N - run the bike as before
With more alterations, such as snorkels removed, and/or more open exhausts - get a PC III and have the bike re-adjusted at a DynoJet teststand.
And for those of You who want to drool a bit more over the arrows (like me - just have to win the lottery first - or maybe just stop the alimony payments:bangwall: here is the link to the Arrow PDF:
http://www.alphatechniksql.alphaplanweb.de/index.cfm?Bereich=f_artikelansicht&ArtikelID=17667&gruppe1=Auspuffsysteme&gruppe2=Stra%C3%9Fe%20homologiert&gruppe3=Aprilia
click on PDF link to download. I can't find that Italian/english pdf on the www.arrow.it homepage but its probably there somewhere.

Greetz
the Grump

PS: resonator boxes can't change the total amount of air going in, by the way, they just cut out some of those lovely frequencies we all want to enjoy, but apparently still have an influence on the filling rate :bump:

Budweiser
05-14-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey ,
I'm afraid it is going to be one of the Radio Erivan answers: in principle yes...., in real life.....:rolleyes:
All modern street legal bikes, freshly out of the factories, are running a bit lean to be able to meet the pollution standards, but not in all rev areas. Usually adding a K&N filter is just about the limit of what the engines can handle without being "re-jetted". An engine running too lean at high revs will run too hot and eventually will a burn a hole in the pistons, followed by the valves being consumed. Running too rich, by the way, will be inefficient and "wash off" the neccessary oil film on the cylinder wall....
But as "re-jetting" is not an option any longer, because those lovely pieces of garbage called a carburators are gone, we can't have the same fun than in the good ol' days when we tried to re-jett fourcylinders by hit and miss, hanging needles high and low, destroying cart loads of highly sensitive milled bits of brass, leaving our last hard earned pennies at the grinning dealers. Those of You old enough will know what I'm talking about:happy:
Anyway, theoretically it would be no sweat for any dealer to re-adjust the fuel air maps on the onboard ECU's if the bloody manufactures would give us access the wee beasties. Well, they don't, so we have to buy a PowerCommander PC III which gives You the chance to feed the ECU with pre-processed data regarding air flow, fuel pressure etc... hence, if You feel brave enough You can re-adjust Your bike Yourself, or You can opt to give it to a dealer with a DynoJet teststand - who has a programm that automatically programs Your PC III to the best values. (highly recommended)
Theoretically this means You loose Your EU homologation for the bike, but You'll never want to drive without one again :fangs:
All the crappy sidesteps the manufactures have to built in for the homologation (such as a deduction in power at mid.revs, where one wants them most, just to meet the drive-by noise test:WTF: can be neutralized with a PC III. WIth some bikes You can even achieve a reduction in fuel consumption, while still gaining some torque.
To the business of removing the snorkels - I wouldn't take them out entirely myself. The outside bit is also a protection against to much water enter the box, but shortening probably won't hurt too much. The inside is a bit trickier.
Its that long for two reasons. One being noise, but the other one is to steady the flow of air. I don't ave any proove of this But I would venture that You actually loose power at some revs if YOu remove the internal part.
But then it does wonders for the sound, and isn't immediately visible either :)
To cut a long story short:
With just a K&N - run the bike as before
With more alterations, such as snorkels removed, and/or more open exhausts - get a PC III and have the bike re-adjusted at a DynoJet teststand.
And for those of You who want to drool a bit more over the arrows (like me - just have to win the lottery first - or maybe just stop the alimony payments:bangwall: here is the link to the Arrow PDF:
http://www.alphatechniksql.alphaplanweb.de/index.cfm?Bereich=f_artikelansicht&ArtikelID=17667&gruppe1=Auspuffsysteme&gruppe2=Stra%C3%9Fe%20homologiert&gruppe3=Aprilia
click on PDF link to download. I can't find that Italian/english pdf on the www.arrow.it homepage but its probably there somewhere.

Greetz
the Grump

PS: resonator boxes can't change the total amount of air going in, by the way, they just cut out some of those lovely frequencies we all want to enjoy, but apparently still have an influence on the filling rate :bump:

Thanks for the reply - very helpful :worship:

Naythan
07-15-2007, 07:52 AM
As an update to this I have just done this mod to mine, I followed the same procedure as above
Remove Seat Remove grey side plates (2x 4mm hex bolts each side)http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Remove%20Side%20plate.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Remove%20side%20plate%202%20(2).jpg Undo tank retaining bolts (1x 4mm hex bolt & 8mm retaining nut)http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Remove%20tank%20bolt.jpg Lift tank up and rearwards, prop between tank and frame on opposite side to resonator Unscrew resonator (Phillips screw just ahead of seat solenoid) Remove throttle position sensor plug by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into the release clip at the front of the plug to give more working room (Not the green plug, the black one to the left )http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Remove%20TPS%20Plug.jpg Locate metal band holding air intake hose to the resonator Using a flat blade screwdriver slide the upper part of the band sideways towards the air intake pipe (Picture shows clip removed, I struggled to get this clip to release by compressing and found sliding it across an absolute doddle)http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Remove%20clip.jpg Remove the resonator from the air intake pipe Use a bicycle handlebar end plug to fill the holehttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/Handlebar%20plug.jpg Fit a jubilee clip to stop it coming out
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/naythan.bellamy/End%20result.jpg

I have a spare plug exactly the same as this if anyone wants it, just PM your details and I'll send it. Handlebar end-plugs are not all the same and this one fits a treat.

scorpio
07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
What is that thing on your air box?

joe bar
07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
What is that thing on your air box?

Looks like a tax disc holder to me :happy: :happy: :happy:

DonFanatico
07-15-2007, 10:28 AM
yes, it's the UK tax disc holder

PetrolHead
07-15-2007, 10:40 AM
...You can opt to give it to a dealer with a DynoJet teststand - who has a programm that automatically programs Your PC III to the best values. (highly recommended)...

Great thread this, fair play to all; I've only had the bike three weeks and I'm now considering hunting out a bike tuner that can sort the above... these web forums are very bad for your bank balance!!!

How long did it take you Naythan? May try this myself.

P.S. love the tax disc question... a 65 not-so-optional extra!!

Clotted Cream
07-15-2007, 11:42 AM
yes, it's the UK tax disc holder

But legally it should be displayed on the LHS of the bike :cheers:

Kev

DonFanatico
07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
does it? didn't know that....is that where it's placed as standard?

PetrolHead
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I didnt know that either, mine is mounted on front forks:

Naythan
07-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Great thread this, fair play to all; I've only had the bike three weeks and I'm now considering hunting out a bike tuner that can sort the above... these web forums are very bad for your bank balance!!!

How long did it take you Naythan? May try this myself.

P.S. love the tax disc question... a 65 not-so-optional extra!!

Using the original guide about an hour, know I know how to lift the tank and remove the clip I reckon I could repeat it in 30 minutes without any problem, removing the clip took the longest and it's so quick and easy once you realise how to seperate it sideways.

Naythan
07-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Only thing I haven't done is ridden it, had a bit of a hangover today so stayed away from vehicles as my work is based around having a licence!!

Clotted Cream
07-15-2007, 02:29 PM
UK riders check this out:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/TaxationClasses/DG_10030643

quote from this link:

When and where to display the disc

A vehicle tax disc shows the registration number and the date up to which you have paid vehicle tax. It comes into force on the day it is issued. But, if you apply for a tax disc in advance, it comes into force on the first day of the following month and you should not display it on your vehicle until then. You must display this disc on the left-hand side of the vehicle's windscreen. If the vehicle does not have a windscreen fitted, you will need to display the disc on the passenger side. For motorcycles, the tax disc should be displayed on the near-side of the bike. If a side car is fitted to the motorcycle, then the tax disc must be displayed on the near-side of the handlebars or on the near-side of the side car.

Now many people have been unlucky enough to have their tax discs stolen, and keep them under the bike seat, in their wallet etc. You can get pulled for not displaying if they are going to be very anal, and you can get done by a traffic warden!:bond:

Kev

obijohnkenobe
07-16-2007, 09:27 AM
First I took out the intake funnel from the air box completely. Result: MUCH better sound, mainly at lower revs. Louder and "boomier" (is that a word?).
However, I didn't like the idea of removing it completely, so have now done the recommended "2/3" removed, and it still gives a much better sound than standard.

Second, thanks to all you guys who have explained the "resonator box mod", I managed to remove that. This makes a noticeable difference to the mid-range,and it now accellerates cleanly through the 4,000(ish) rev band which was flat before.

If you haven't done this mod, then do it now!!!

I still have probs with the missfire/coughing etc, so the mods don't sort this out -I will just live with this as a "feature" of a big single.

PetrolHead
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
so we have to buy a PowerCommander PC III which gives You the chance to feed the ECU with pre-processed data regarding air flow, fuel pressure etc... You can opt to give it to a dealer with a DynoJet teststand - who has a programm that automatically programs Your PC III to the best values. (highly recommended)

Does anyone know how much this costs?? I guess you have to tell your insurers!?

Elvis
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know how much this costs?? I guess you have to tell your insurers!?
PC3 is illegal in most countries because it will work only if you open the control loop meaning disconnect the CO2 sensor and bypass the "clean air" regulations.
other then that it is a great litle thing

the_grump
07-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Just a word of caution to You guys out there.
Literally ANYTHING You do to alter the sound, power or engine characteristics of a street legal motorbike is illegal in the EU, as manufacturers have to declare and prove the conformity of the vehicle in regard to EU regulations, before they are allowed to sell them on the open market. Only aftermarket parts which have a EU conformity declaration as well won't affect the status of the bike.
Even the resonator box removal will theoretically revoke the conformity status :WTF:
Though legally speaking not exactly a crime, it gives Your insurers a lever not to pay in the case of an accident (nor the insurers of opposing side for that matter) as You are operating a vehicle which is not covered by its original declaration of conformity any longer in normal traffic.
Most european countries take a fairly light approach to this, though things are apparently getting tougher (as in compulsory MOT's for bikes, which are a new concept in some member states). Some, of course, are totally anal about it, like us DIN infested germans :bond: Theoretically german drivers are obliged to have all the conformity declarations af all the "legal" add-ons with them while they are driving. Luckily the a... retentive german bureaucrats forgot to define the size of the documents, so what people often do now is minimizing the size of the A4 (yes another DIN there) down to creditcard size. "Well, officer, not exactly my fault You can't read that....."
Just an example of how bad things can become, is that if You are on a trip to Germany with a pair of open Akra's, a nice PC III and a K&N and You get pulled over by a motorcycle cop, You are probably f....d big time.
First of all, unfortunately these guys know the rules down to the last rivet, and know what is standard for most current bikes. So if they are having a bad day in their green leapfrog leathers, they can deem Your british bike non-standard, illegal for use on german roads and can bar You from driving any further. I know of Dutch drivers who had to transport their bikes out of lovely DIN country on a truck after something like that :mad:
This is not to scare anybody, but one should be aware of these things if one starts to circumvent all the crap the manufacturers had to put on the bikes to fullfill the EU rules in the first place. Or why did You think Yamaha put those little resonators boxes in there in the first place? Certainly not because they wanted to use yet another piece of plastics, just for fun :whiner:
So, guys, be safe, don`t make the alterations all too visible (or too audible :bump: and remember that it only takes 15 seconds to let the PC III disappear again without a trace......
the_grump

PS: Yes, I am as german as they come, but have always had my difficulties with the mentality of my fellow countrymen....

Clotted Cream
07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Great post bud.

I have seen it all before with people wanting to mod their bikes. Ask yourself why? I have had numerous very fast bikes including R6's, and now I am having great fun on a 650 single. They all go plenty fast enough. When I was on the SV650 forum it was the same. They were having big bore kits, K&N's and open pipes to make them even louder, and try to go from 69BHP to the halowwed 79BPH. They could have spent less money buying a Firestorm. If you want an R1 - go and buy one.

These bikes are designed for a purpose, and trying to tune the crap out of them is not good. Hope to god you don't crash either cause technically, your insurance is invalid.

If the hesitation or surging is doing your head in - you should have picked this up by researching the net before purchase, and during the test ride. Maybe the Pegaso is not for you.

These bikes are great but either model is a posh commuter. My Trail would never be a serious contender off road. The Strada is not a Supermotard.

Both off these bikes are fantastic. Enjoy them for what they are!

Kev

joe bar
07-19-2007, 02:53 AM
I agree with much of what you've said Kev, why buy a bike and then try and change it into something it's not. May as well have bought the right thing in the first place.

But there is a difference between changing and improving the bike. Every manufacturer is compromised by legislation and the commercial practicality of making a bike suitable to as wide a market place as possible as cheaply as possible.

This inevitably leads to compromises in the original design integrity. Hence, I will fiddle to remove a hesitation which shouldn't be there by design but is there just to meet some arbitary figure imposed by Brussels, and in reality helps little in meeting the world's environmental needs. Similarly, adding things like span adjustable levers, adjustable screen, bar guards and heated grips, just make the bike more comfortable to ride.

To me, these are improvements that don't move the bike away from it's original design brief, but add back what narrow focus legislation (there are better ways of making bikes more enviro-friendly) and cost constraints have taken away.

g-man
07-19-2007, 04:59 AM
This all sounds a bit like old man speak to me. :tired: Take your seatbelts off. :rolleyes: I agree with the guy above, that there is no point spending 2000 on a 4000 bike to gain 10bhp. And the Strada is never going to be a supermoto. But everything that comes out a car or bike factory is compramised.

Does anyone think if there was no EU bull the bike would be like it is?? Stripping off parts to make the bike look sportier or fitting a 20p plastic bung or a set of cans to make it more like it should be isn't bad at all. It's not tuning the ass off it. It's spending a few quid to make it sound better and as a result it transforms the ridability of the bike.

There will be guys on here who load a 50bhp bike with boxes, stands, sat nav etc, and try and use it more as a small compramised tourer. And there wil be guys who fit pipes, harden up the suspention, strip it down an use it as a compramised supermoto. It's not to say the touring boys should have bought a GS and the supermoto boys should have bought a KTM. Both want the bike to do 2 different things, and both get what they want out the bike and enjoy it.

Anyone want a cuddle?? :happy:

the_grump
07-19-2007, 06:36 AM
OK mate - You, me, first daylight - a windy road of Your choice - and we'll show You...... the old man and his young italian beauty :bump:
No, honestly, every man/woman for himself, I say. I have never given much regard to much of all that legislation crap, but then one does get older (if one doesn't fall of one's bike too often:happy: and perhaps a wee bit more settled......
I know people personally who had their insurance company walk off on them because of minor, non-registered alterations to their bikes. Try to explain to Your kids why You have to sell the house, to pay for the results of what seems to be a minor accident.
Just wanted to remind some of the lesser tanned hides to be aware of possible implications.
Apart from that - I descended from muuuuch more powerful bikes as well, and can't say I miss any of it. Apart for the moments where the guys who just needed a forklift to get their GYZS 1010.5 RSY around the corner zoom past You, because they just have found their throttles again, on that straight bit of road :bangwall:
But then - by the next corner one just weaves past the fork lift again, grinning inanly:burnout:
So, You can cuddle if You can catch me, Tiger :whiner:
Don't be too serious guys
the_grump
gloves on (never drive without them, anyway :happy:

obijohnkenobe
07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
I like this thread! I have thought often about this and have come up with the following conclusions:

1. Bikers love to "fiddle" with their bikes!! Its that simple - we simply can't leave them alone. Its all part of the FUN of owning a bike - looking at all the various aftermarket bits and bobs, fiddling with the settings here and there - adding high-flow this, removing the resonator that, blocking something else. Its simply all part of the fun of owning a bike and being involved with it.

2. Our bikes are an extension of us! Admit it - where is the fun of meeting a guy with another Peg and saying "hey, your bike is EXACATLY THE SAME as mine"? No. We love our bikes to be individual to us. We love people looking and saying - hey that's different, and starting a chat about the how and why.

I have 2 other bikes, one is 147BHP and the other is 166BHP and I am always looking at "tweaking" them, and the forums on both those bikes discuss the same as this one - how can I improve this, or how can I make that look better, and yes - how can I get a few more mph from it!! Squeezing out an extra few BHP from my Peg is not the point, if I wanted to go faster I would hop on another bike! But I believe that its all part of the fun of riding and owning bikes.

Hmmmm, I feel a lot better now!

:cheers:

AberdeenAngus
07-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Thing that frustrates me a little is just how few after market bits there are for the peg.
That's why it's so great when someone identifies things like that the handguards for the F650 fit (they do...perfectly !).

What I really want for my trail is an alloy sump guard. Anyone had any success is this area. Wondering if the XT would fit. But then the pipes are routed very differently :confused: :confused:

I really love going to Harley rally's just to see all the customisation :)
and I think one of the reasons for the huge success of GS's at the moment is the huge range of aftermarket bits you can get (course, messrs Magregor & Borman did BM nae harm). Apparently there was a fool from KLM on the other day saying they stood by their decision not to sponsor "Long Way Round" :spankie: .

keithc
07-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi all

Well I brought my Pegaso for, in the main commuting, and it does that quite well. As for modifiying the bike, I might carry out some mods, if they give improvements to the way the bike runs.
As to the regulations and Type Approval, or what ever you call it in your countries, it doesnt really exist in the UK to the same extent as Germany for example. We are still allowed to make our own vehilces from scratch if we wish. Its the same with changing the bikes we ride. In the UK we are still allowed to customise our bikes, providing they conform to some pretty basic legislation on noise and safety related items.
Amongst other changes we are allowed to carry out, are changes to the exhuast and inlets on our bikes. Exhausts dont even have to have an `E' mark here anymore. The only control is that it must not be `to noisey'. I am unaware of any regulations that prevent or control modifications to inlet systems.
Another thing we doent have to comply with in the UK, is pollution regulations. Sure the manufacturers have to comply when making the bikes, but there is no mechanism to check or enforce the content of exhaust gasses on motorcycles. Unlike the MOT (safety check) for cars, bikes are not checked for CO2 or any other gases in the exhuast.
This is one set of rules that makes me pleased to be living in the UK.
Just because I havent changed my bike much does not mean I cant appriciate what others do tho theirs, and after all if they want to spend 20,000 on their 4,000 bike then why not, its their money after all.

Keith

the_grump
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
not that I haven't got to work, but I just can't leave this thread alone...

@keith - just remember to smile into that CCTV when You zoom past with your little continental polluter:bump:

@obijohn..... - poodooh! No, only joking of course! What a spot-on analysis of homo ludens on 2 wheels - couldn't agree more :worship:

@aberdeenangus - if You want to have something that work, is sturdy and You're not afreid of getting Yer wee fingers dirty, do as we used to in the old days, when I was trashing about on a 500 KTM (with the old Rotax engine and a Dell Orto carburator - still have the scars on me shins from that one).
We just liberated (nicked?!) some aluminium traffic signs, cut them to shape and fixed them to the frame with some small silentblocks. Made for sturdy, relatively lightweight and most certainly colourfull protection (depends on the sign of course). If one wants to be boring about it You can actually get them fro free at many a technical road department, because they take them out of circulation regularly :rolleyes:

and finally - if I would be sensible, or grown up, or a profoundly thinking person, I would probably have a decent job, would still be married - and would most certainly never ever ride on a motorbike. So there You go - story of my life. Am on my 26th bike, have survived more than half a 400.000 kilometers, and as for the rest - who cares :bs:

the_grump

PS: any chance of seeing any of You guys over here for a little tour?!
Can offer a place to crash, a nice countryside, wonderfull turns and ample humiliation :rolleyes:

DonFanatico
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
where are you based:? am looking into going to oktoberfest on my peg?

the_grump
07-19-2007, 09:34 AM
You are not seriously considering going there, are You ?:happy:
Watching 100 bavarians and 1000 australians getting drunk alongside a heap of japanese, americans and english :cheers:
Anyway, I am more or less en route 25 km west of Fulda (remember the gap?!).
The only thing is that You should be aware, that the weather in middle germany "can" get pretty atrocious in the beginning of october.
There have been octobers with lovely sunshine, but they are kind of rare. Munich is very different in terms of the weather, though. There it is usually quite nice around that time of the year (hence the O-fest, maybe?!)
the_grump

MFAL_KL
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
the grump, entertaining words on the conclusion......

:peace:

Can offer a place to crash, a nice countryside, wonderfull turns and ample humiliation :rolleyes:

:crybaby: I wish i could take up on that offer! wa wa ... half a world away!

Anyway ... I would like to make a similar offer to you guys ... if you guys wanna sample riding in Malaysia ..... i would be more than happy to be your host.

for the time being .. you guys can drool on tropical country riding experience ... (hot ... hot ... )...

our small riding buddies 'official' site - latest adventure: http://www.motobiking.com/2007_Files/Tmn_Negara_main01.htm

http://www.motobiking.com/

Cheers

Fadzil

DonFanatico
07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
it's one of those things to do before you die, isn't it...I will probably go by car as I will only have 3 days off work.

what where your expereinces there? parking wise would be impossible woudn't it?

g-man
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
OK mate - You, me, first daylight - a windy road of Your choice - and we'll show You...... the old man and his young italian beauty :bump:

So, You can cuddle if You can catch me, Tiger :whiner:
:happy:

Can offer a place to crash, a nice countryside, wonderfull turns and ample humiliation

:funnypost Ha ha, i like this about the forum. Keep it light hearted. :cheers:

keithc
07-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Not Germany I'm afraid, to many rules (joking, I have travelled through Germany a couple of times), but I am travelling down to Luxemberg for a long weekend over the first weekend in September.
I will be attending a Goldwing rally there. Good fun they are to :)

Keith

PetrolHead
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow... my question caused a bit of a ruckus :devil: :cheers:

Not hunting for power gains (will leave that to the car), just fun of tinkering and looking to make the bike a touch smoother... Anyway back to the original question... any views on cost??

eame64
07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Great thread a lot of personalities showing through.
I have had my peg for 15 months now and apart from handguards and a rear plate, all i do is wash polish & ride when time permits.
I am happy with the standard performance of the peg,i am not someone who likes to fiddle with bikes anymore or has the time for that matter.
The whole reasoning in buying brand new this time was so i did not have to fiddle.
But each to there own.Main thing is we are all talking about the one thing we have in common our love of bikes.
Happy tinkering boys.

Panda
07-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Anyway, I am more or less en route 25 km west of Fulda
Ah Christ, I probably rode past your front door on the Bamberg/Frankfurt/Koln bit of my holiday last month!
Might see you at the start of next year on my next trip....might even make it to Malaysia next year....

Panda
07-20-2007, 07:11 AM
P.S. Does that count as a "Posh Commute"!?

Clotted Cream
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm quite happy with my Peg. I could tour on it if the Chancellor of the exchequer would let me. I can't seen me changing exhausts and bits but may go for a rack and top box before the winter comes.

Kev

PetrolHead
07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Ok, the prices I've obtained from one tuner today is:

Power Commander III 280
Air Filter 40
Labour, Rolling Road Time and Custom Maps 80
So a total of 400

The advise given was that it doesn't provide a massive power gain, your only looking around 5-10% but the main point of doing this is the running characteristic is improved across the whole rev range.

If your looking more at power gain to your peg, the advise was that the zorst is the answer in conjunction with the above... but price was around 500+ for an aftermarket system.

Personally I wouldnt go tune & zorst, but the PCIII tune and rolling road time is most tempting :burnout: