PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted from Tuono Racing US owners

MilleTornado
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Need some help from over the pond please! I currently have a Benelli Tornado and want to move it with me to the US when I move to your fine country in January, except it won't pass your emissions laws. I hear that the Tuono Racing in Europe has virtually the same emissions as the US version and my kind dealer will swap bikes. Only thing is US customs regulations say that the bike must be exactly as a US bike and have an EPA stamp of approval on them.

Do your bikes have these...I've checked the UK bike and all it has on the side of the frame is the VIN and the power output. If your bikes don't have these then I should be able to ship it okay.

tmtuono
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Hello. I have a Tuono, not an R, and it has an EPA sticker behing the right side foot guard. Here's a picture.

tony

MilleTornado
10-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks Tony - that's exacltly what I need to know. Now if only I could get one of those labels!

tmtuono
10-06-2003, 01:59 PM
There is also another sticker on the left side for the evaporative emission controls that shows the hose routing to and from the carbon canister, airbox and throttle bodies.

Maybe you can pick up some stickers from someone who just tracks their bikes and doesn't plan to use them on the road.

Might be easier to just pick one up when you get here. I would check a little further for any 'unknown' rules you may need to comply with when bringing a Euro model bike here, especially with the state you are planning to register the bike.

tony

cornercarver
10-06-2003, 02:51 PM
You'll have a really hard time unless you get a US spec bike. If you aren't in a hurry, I imagine that your UK daeler could get a US spec bike for you, especially if they explained the situation to Aprilia. You may even get a 2 year US warranty with it. Call Aprilia USA if you get problems from your local importer. You could maybe set up a deal where you don't even have to ship the bike. Just pick it up in the US.

--sam

rainh8r
10-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Beaudry Motorsports in Idaho has been advertising that they are a Benelli dealer for over a year, and have had examples on display. Their website is beaudrymotorsports.com. They deal in everything European and may have some answers for you, including how to bring your bike in. They may be up for a trade if it comes to that.