PDA

View Full Version : Considering switching bikes - Is there a Pegaso Trail forum?

oz-strom
04-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Thinking of switching from a DL650 Vstrom to a Pegaso Trail - is there a separate thread/forum for the new Trail? Any comments or observations on the proposed bike change?

Graham
Australia

Falco_1000
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Every bike is fit for a certain purpose, I guess. I once drove an SV 650 which, I believe, has a very similar engine to your V-strom. The V-strom is a very cruisy bike, great engine for long rides, with plenty of highway power.

The Trail is a 1-cylinder bike, much more lighter and agile than the V-strom. I would say much more of a fun bike. Even though I would not change my Strada for a Trail, since I've driven both and I know the trail is not so great on tarmac, in comparison to the strada. On the other hand if I wanted a bike to get dirt on my shoes, I'de get an SXV or something (YZ, KX, CR).

Think it over, if you drive arround town mostly, I suggest a Strada, or if you insist the trail will make you much happier than the V-strom.

If you make long trips and you travel a lot, keep the V-strom, its a better traveller.

:cheers:

oz-strom
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks for that info. I presume then there is no forum/thread for the Trail version. My riding does involve adventure style on back-roads, tracks and trails. And the Vstrom is a bit of a handful in those environs, but it is great for the touring/scratching bits on tar, as well as the daily commute. (I don't have a car). I would certainly miss the fantastic v-twin engine, but I need something more dirt worthy, but not a full-on trail bike (my previous bike was a DR650).

g-man
04-05-2007, 03:11 AM
KTM 950 Enduro. Now thats the bike for you. :plus:

TimmyMagic
04-05-2007, 05:22 AM
There was a write-up in last months BIKE magazine of 4 600 ish trail bikes. The Pegaso Trail lost out to the Yamaha XT660R, the KLE500(!) and the CCM404DS.

Although they all said it was possibly the best mannered in the road, it was fairly poor off-road.

Like he says, I'd go for the KTM. If you don't want a big bike, the 640 Adventure is a good bet....

rodrigo
04-09-2007, 05:10 AM
I have a Trail myself, and while it's not an Enduro bike, it is perfect for off-road (provided you don't want to do hard enduro with it). I use it myself 50% on roads, 50% off-road, and while I am not to experienced on off-road driving, I have taken my trail through snow, mud, stones, climbs, etc, and it performed great, only failing a few times because of my own limitations. I have even been able to get across tracks where 3 BMW F650's were not able to get, and yesterday I passed a muddy track I still can't believe I was able to :)
Of course, this is after having done some changes to it:
http://flickr.com/photos/42404463@N00/423035200/
(just changed tyres and added handguards)

So, yeah, whatever the magazines/reviews say, it is a great bike for roads/cities, and it allows you to get off-road with some warranty, so if you like it, get it. There are better bikes, of course, but one thing I learned after having bought a few bikes is that it's better to buy the bike you like than the one you should buy. And from what you say, the Trail should fit your needs.

As for the forum, there is none afaik, so use this one.

oz-strom
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the info - I expect it has better off-road capability than the Vstrom 650 - but only 60% of the power. I will try and get a test ride and research a few more reviews if I can find them. I know I will miss the power of the DL650 (I just love the way it goes in the 6000-9000 rev range), but I don't need that for tracks and trails. The KTM 950 is great, but just too much (money and performance) for my needs. The KTM 640 is an option and I have ridden a couple, but I would probably wait for the new 690 Adventure if that was my choice. I have ridden with a guy on the CCM and it is definately more off-road oriented than the Pegaso.

I guess I am taking a "softer" option with the Pegaso.

TimmyMagic
04-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Rodrigo's spot on. Buy the bike you want (after you've test ridden it) otherwise you'll always wish you had....

klpegaso
04-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi

I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Read my layman's so called review on the Trail at http://www.aprilia.com.my/myclubaprilia/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55

FYI I own a 1997 Peg3. Browse the website to get to know the Malaysian riding scene plus..check out my ride buddies at www.motobiking.com

Bye for now

new user
04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
i recently had a test ride of the pegaso trail. i am still tossing up between the BMW 650 GS and the pegaso. i had a really quick ride of the BMW and i reckon they are both pretty similar, although i am far from an expert (Does anyone have any comments on the two bikes?). the BMW comes with, panniers, heated grips and A.B.S. for about the same price but i can't go past the look of the pegaso (i got quoted AU$14,700 otr for the pegaso).
anyway i loved the pegaso, although i reckon the revs are quite high doing 100km/h. over 4000 rpm. (i am wondering if cruising up the free-way at 110km/h plus would be a problem on the engine or fuel consumption)
the first few gears are really short. i suppose it is like that for off road. suspension was really soft. i felt quite a bit of heat on my right leg from the engine.
That is my review but remember i am very inexperienced on bikes (i have ridden a 150cc scooter for the last 3 years but that doesn't count!!).
cheers

V Stromer
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
i recently had a test ride of the pegaso trail. i am still tossing up between the BMW 650 GS and the pegaso. i had a really quick ride of the BMW and i reckon they are both pretty similar, although i am far from an expert (Does anyone have any comments on the two bikes?). the BMW comes with, panniers, heated grips and A.B.S. for about the same price but i can't go past the look of the pegaso (i got quoted AU$14,700 otr for the pegaso).
anyway i loved the pegaso, although i reckon the revs are quite high doing 100km/h. over 4000 rpm. (i am wondering if cruising up the free-way at 110km/h plus would be a problem on the engine or fuel consumption)
the first few gears are really short. i suppose it is like that for off road. suspension was really soft. i felt quite a bit of heat on my right leg from the engine.
That is my review but remember i am very inexperienced on bikes (i have ridden a 150cc scooter for the last 3 years but that doesn't count!!).
cheers

I did a test ride on the GS and on the starda, the GS is a bit stronger and well made i think that in a test the Pegaso trail will lose to the BMW but not by far.
The intersting thing is when comparing the BMW scraver (road version of the GS) the road version of the trail, the strada is better
dont forget that ABS is a good addition but if you want to go off road check first if the ABS on the GS can be cancelled easily

new user
05-04-2007, 05:51 AM
there is a guy travelling from Adelaide in Australia to London on pegaso 650.
his travel log is worth a read. check it out at www.aprilia.com.au