PDA

View Full Version : Just rode and dynoed a 2004 RSVR

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-04-2003, 06:48 PM
I had a great day today....no my bike did not show up but, a customer brought by a new 2004 RSVR. My bike is supposed to hit Texas on Wednesday....oh how I hate waiting.

The new bike rides absolutely awesome....turn in is unreal. The chassis geometry allows for nearly effortless turning and does not upset easily from my limited experience. I only rode the bike a few miles....and only one wheelie past Austin Ducati of course.

The motor felt a little flat in stock trim and I was actually surprised when it showed 102 bhp on our Factory Pro EC997 dyno...(my old well developed 99 Mille did 110 on my dyno)..this number would be 115+ on a dynojet....dead stock with 380 miles. Exhaust Gas Emissions were much richer than I expected with a catalyist....so rich in fact that I am really curious to see what is inside of my stock pipes when the bike gets here. I see a lot of potential in this bike once the catalyists are cored out, the open baffles are installed in the stock cans, the new EVO race airbox parts are bolted up and we switch to VP Ultimate 4 Fuel. I think the new bike is going to be a real weapon on the track and the street. I expect to see upwards of 120bhp by the end of the year....you will all be coming along for the development ride.

Here is a dyno graph from today on the 2004 motor....it has a huge hole in the powerband right where you want huge torque...that is the first order of business to take care of.

sub-moa
10-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Looks like I don't have to post anything about my dyno run :)

102 bhp and 61.8 ft/lbs @ 7997rpm ain't to bad. BUt yeah we gotta fix that hole!

Looks like the new Mille will really scream with a few exhaust and airbox mods.. That and a few more miles on the motor also.. :)

Micah, how was that Red Bull after it sat in the storage box for the whole dyno run? heheh

Dale

stinky
10-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Here's (http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/dati//foto_mod_pg_354_1060014728.jpg) what's inside the stock cans, Micah.

Reyndogg
10-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by stinky
Here's (http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/dati//foto_mod_pg_354_1060014728.jpg) what's inside the stock cans, Micah.

:eek: jeez :eek:

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-05-2003, 05:36 PM
NO...I mean what is really inside the cans.... The only reason I have questions about the cat is that other cat equipped bikes we have run on the dyno were like spotless clean on emissions....this motor was not.

Sorry sub-moa, I was not trying to steal thunder from you....and the Red-Bull taste is even worse at 100 degrees. Thanks a lot for the opportunity to test ride your new bike, it is awesome.

sub-moa
10-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Micah,

Nah dude don't even give it a second thought! I wasn't going to type all the info you did, so thanks fer that.

It's gonna be fun to bring it back in and see what the exhaust/airbox/mapping changes make!

I wonder if the F.I. is a little off or something since the emissions were so rich? waht you think? Guess we'll just have to wait until you guys get your bike and compare em.

stinky
10-05-2003, 06:41 PM
The way this thing surges at low rpm, I wouldn't be surprised that it's running richer than a rich thing. Probably a nice black coating inside the cans by now. Looking forward to a remap.

I believe mille-ryan has already opened his.

Ryan, you there, dude?

mille-ryan
10-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Ya ya Im here, Ill have the insides way open on moday will post pics as well. Cant wait to see the guts. Still confused as to how Im gonna make new internals.I would like to se the inside of my HARRIS cans or some Akros for a cheat.

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-06-2003, 11:40 AM
The bike is definitely getting more fuel than air. Usually leaning the mixture out a bit (to around 5% CO) will yeild a few more bhp....changes to ignition timing may yeild a another one or two. The reason I want the cats out of the exhaust system is so I can swith to leaded and oxygenated fuel....which should also yeild about a 7% improvement.

I have been thinking about the airbox/volume situation all weekend....this will be an area of development which should yeild another few bhp. The flapper valve will be the first casualty of the inquisition....maybe it works...maybe it keeps things quiet.

Also of interest is the cam timing. I am not going to worry about cam timing until I see what a fully derestricted bike with pipes and fuel does on the dyno....then I will fine tune the cam timing to get the power peak only about 500 rpm below the redline. The bike we ran the other day failed to make any more power after 10,000rpm but, was flat after between 9800 and 11,000 rpm indicating that either the stock pipes were choking it up a bit or the cam timing may not be ideal for peak power at 10,500.