PDA

View Full Version : Panel Removal?

Ricky J
10-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Does this new bike have quick-release type fasteners on the side panels? They are not the same 1/4 turn QRs as earlier models, I'm wondering about the hassles involved with adding oil and pulling that LH panel.

mille-ryan
10-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Well kinda yes and no, lol. The side panel has I think4 1/4 turn screws towards the front, then to allen srews on the very back and mid back, and 4 allen screws on the bottom connecting the 2 halves. Just so ya know for fture crap, the inside also has these things that may look like allens, they aint, they are quick pop plastic pins, inside below the the noes, think these also are for the side panel.

Ricky J
10-04-2003, 10:49 AM
So, how many screws and fasteners require removing to add oil? We all know how on the older bikes that middle panel took all of ten seconds to remove...did the engineers and designer forget this job?

mixR
10-04-2003, 11:01 AM
6 Allen screws,
5 Dzuz (1/4 turn) fasteners,
1 Plastic 'popper',
and a partridge in a pear tree.

Ricky J
10-04-2003, 11:26 AM
They did reduce the number of fairing pieces but also made a critical and routine task more difficult for owners. Too bad!

Ricky J
10-04-2003, 12:17 PM
See those two triangular holes in the fairing beneath the oil coolers? My brain says "screen needed" to keep junk out and provide a finished look.

NoNick
10-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Ricky J
See those two triangular holes in the fairing beneath the oil coolers? My brain says "screen needed" to keep junk out and provide a finished look.

I wouldn't do that ! Those holes provide cooling air for the exhaust pipes runnin under your bike. If you close them I guess the fairing could in worst case melt down.......

Ricky J
10-04-2003, 02:21 PM
No, don't close them up just install a mesh screen. A similar piece was installed on my '00.5 and running temps didn't change a bit.