PDA

View Full Version : Akro Ti Slip-on rec'd

BigGlen
10-03-2003, 07:27 AM
I just took delivery of the Akropovic titanium Slip on.
I'll install today and let you know how it is.

I still dont know how much I want to modify my Tuono. I might very well end up with a full pipe plus....
But, in the mean time I HAD to get rid of that BOILER/boat anchor on the side of the bike!

later gents,
Glen:cool:

Billy_pty
10-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Looking forward to your impressions.
This may very well be my next mod.

BigGlen
10-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Bill,

The Akropovic slip-on turns out to be an outstanding improvement for the money. It weighs about a quarter as much as that ridiculous stock unit. It doesnt get unbelievably hot like the stock unit. In fact, you can touch it shortly after turning off the engine! AND BEST OF ALL it really really makes a difference in acceleration/performance on a stock engine with the intake restricter removed. Dont get me wrong , it doesnt add 10 hp but all around response is definately improved. At about $500-$600 its a bargain and super easy to install. Its loud like a performance pipe when you rip on it. But totally acceptable in low to mid rpm range. Not as loud as a complete aftermarket system in any circumstance. It's a quality made piece that looks a million times better that the original can.
I have pictures of it installed if interested.

Cheers,
Glen

Billy_pty
10-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Thank you Glen.
Pictures would be appreciated, at your earliest convinience of course.

BigGlen
10-08-2003, 09:23 PM
As you can see it looks great!

BigGlen
10-08-2003, 09:27 PM
While I'm at it, here's a picture of the Harris rearsets and the CycleCat Billet sidestand. (No bike has ever inspired me to put a "billet sidestand" on it before!) Go figure.

stinky
10-08-2003, 10:05 PM
That's gorgeous, BigGlen!

Manu
10-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Big G did you had a new chip installed ?
If yes which one... Did it come with the pipe ?

BigGlen
10-09-2003, 09:04 AM
The only modification is the intake restricter removal.
The bike runs excellently!
This one as well as most slip-ons do not come with nor require replacement chips.

I believe with a slip-on instead of a full system, you have a wider range of set-up possibilities. For expample, you can run a slip-on without an aftermarket chip. I bet you can even install most slip-ons without removing the intak restricter. But, you wont get much if any improvement in performance.

I fully intend to install an Evoluzione FP Tuono chip after my first service. It will further improve the general performance of the engine and will also compliment the derestriction and slip-on. :)

Booger Red
10-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Excuse my ignorance here. What's the difference between the Akropovic slip-on you installed and the Akropovic slip-on Aprilia sells as a performance exhaust? The Aprilia single unit sells for about $650 and comes with an eprom. I'm thinking of installing a new slip on and was curious.
Thx

BigGlen
10-09-2003, 01:26 PM
I dont know what the difference is. But, I think there are differences.

I know you can get an Akro ti slip-on from European Motorcycle Accessories for $499 = shipping.
And I bet that Aprilia's version cost more than that.

I thought the only Slip-on that Aprilia sells is the RSC one. And that I know is a very loud can.

I thought the Akro-Aprilia one was a full system only.

Booger Red
10-09-2003, 06:29 PM
According to him the Aprilia single and the shotgun are both
slip-ons. But I don't have much confidence in his knowledge. This has kinda confused the issue for me so I think I'll do a little more home work before I decide which to install.

thx again

BigGlen
10-09-2003, 09:10 PM
They could very well be slip-ons.

grabdawg
10-15-2003, 09:44 AM
After reading of your success with the Akrapovic slip on, I went to European Motorcycle Accessories, and noted that they only list a model for the Mille & Mille R. I'm assuming that you purchased one of these and that it fits on your Tuono just fine? Sounds like the best way to go for me as well. Thanks for your help!

BigGlen
10-15-2003, 09:55 AM
They pride themselves in getting you the appropriate equipment
for your make and model. So call EMA directly to make sure that the Tuono application is the same as the Mille application with regards to slip-on. It probably is.

pastajet
10-16-2003, 02:00 PM
The Aprilia Race Slip-on is actually made by Arrow and not Akra. The only Akra/Aprilia system I am aware of is the full system.

Kid Thunder
10-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Got one on my Tuono(Akro) & I love the sound. It's just loud enough when not really on the gas & really sounds great on the gas without being to loud. A friend I ride with said on the road it really doesn't sound like it's an animal but when I hit it I'm gone!! I got mine from EMA in the spring with an Arrow chip. It has been said that the Aprilia accessary chip is an Arrow. Not sure. But don't waist your money on the Arrow. I feel the bike ran worse with the pipe than stock & with the Arrow only ran slightly better but got much worse mileage. I put a Power Commander on & it ran great & picked up 5 HP on the dyno with no other changes!! But the mileage is still bad. They got in touch with Dyno Jet & are going to try a mode that will improve the mileage. We shall see!!

grabdawg
11-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Glen, I finally got my Akro Titanium slip-on yesterday and love the way it looks and sounds. One question...I looked at the pic you had, and couldn't tell what your strap was made of. They sent me the carbon-fibre strap for mine, and I just wondered whether this was standard or if they just didn't have the TI strap. I'm going to call them on Monday to check it out. Thanks!

BigGlen
11-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Grab,

I believe the carbon is the standard strap for the unit.
:)

Davidvmi91
11-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I think that Akro looks GREAT! What height pipe is that pipe? Is it considered a mid-mount, high-mount, race-mount???

Also where did that billet stand come from? very cool
thanks

David

BigGlen
11-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Its pretty much a single side slip-on in the standard location. It retains the peg and stuff.

The side stand is from "CycleCat".
AF1 now carries it. Its expensive. But the Tuono loves it.!!:D

RSV12K
11-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by BigGlen
Bill,

The Akropovic slip-on turns out to be an outstanding improvement for the money. Dont get me wrong , it doesnt add 10 hp

The complete systems don't add any more HP than slip ons on the RSV engine! That was the upshot of a very controversial exhaust shoot out last year (done by a member for this forum). If I recall correctly, the RSC slip on and chip did better than any other.

BigGlen
11-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Did the complete system more extensively eliminate any midrange flat spots?

cggunnersmate
11-19-2003, 06:39 AM
The Cycle Cat sidestands do look good. I've only seen the bare aluminum one the AF1 site but earlier this season I was at the New Hampshire International Speedway and Cycle Cat had a demo booth set up. They had all kinds of cool stuff on display including a tricked out Monster but they also had the sidestand on display too in the bare aluminum and also in black. The black one is worth looking into if you don't like the one on the AF1 site. But like all Cycle Cat parts they are expensive$$$$$$$$

:bond: