PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Engine Coolant

Falco_1000
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I've noticed some leking of engine coolant, and I wouldn't be bothered, since the it is very little, but I had a friend with a Trail, complaining about the same problem, only in his case, the coolant level has droped.

Has anybody noticed anything similar, and if so, do we know were the leak comes from?

the_grump
03-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Hey there
You should try to have a look in one of the Yamaha XT X/R forums.
Unfortunately the leaking coolant is quite a frequent occurence (my XTX did that as well). Its worth fixing that problem pronto as the glycol in the coolant attacks the engine paint and aids corrosion.
The reason for this little annoyance lays usually in the lousy, crimped, original clamps holding the cooling systems tubes. Change them to regular stainless steel ones, which can be tightened with a screw (without overdoing it of course ;-) and You should be fine.....
I would probably twist the arm of my friendly dealer to do that for me in the name of warranty ?!
Just remember - the engine paint is no good to start with - coolant will eventually act as a kind of paintstripper. So, ample water for the moment, and than changeing the clamps....
Greetz
the_grump