PDA

View Full Version : Any 30 day/1000mile reports yet???

Jony2Stones
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Post 'em up...

mille-ryan
10-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Im working on it dammit. Got 750 this last weekend. Probally get the same or more this weekend if the weather holds.

Italibikefreak
10-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mille-ryan
Im working on it dammit. Got 750 this last weekend. Probally get the same or more this weekend if the weather holds.

Did you take your bike in for the first service yet? And how much did it cost? I've got 500 miles on my R right now and loving every mile.:D

stinky
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Mine's at the shop right now getting first service - a little over 500 miles, but I didn't want to wait another week.

So far so sweet.

mille-ryan
10-01-2003, 07:03 PM
??? :confused: First service, whats that. No I do it all myslef, and the Aprilia mechanic at the shop is a good friend, and am at his house all the time.If it breaks we fix.

Jony2Stones
10-01-2003, 08:05 PM
How's the 04 compared to the 03 and back models...?

mille-ryan
10-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Read my post about the comparo of my 00R to my 04 Factory. Think I gave sum pretty decent insight.Posted in normal RSV land.

Italibikefreak
10-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Do the Milles need a valve adjustment at the first service? This is my first Mille so I wanna know everything. The manual says you need to have the valves adjusted, but don't know if the dealer actually does it or they just change the oil and call it good. My dealer wants to charge me $300 for the first service. So I hope it is more involved than just oil change, hell I could do that myself.

Thunder Factory
10-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Italibikefreak
Do the Milles need a valve adjustment at the first service? This is my first Mille so I wanna know everything. The manual says you need to have the valves adjusted, but don't know if the dealer actually does it or they just change the oil and call it good. My dealer wants to charge me $300 for the first service. So I hope it is more involved than just oil change, hell I could do that myself.

Good question and an area which seems to cause a lot of discussion from what I've ead since January when I joined the clan.

The bikes first service I'm told should take about 4 hours as it is not just a case of changing the oil and filters, although in the Uk it appears at least that that is all that some dealers in fact do.

I was very careful in selecting a dealer to make sure not only that he was able to tell me what was involved, and slso to negotiate in the purchase price a "free" first service.

clarkie49
10-03-2003, 10:53 AM
the dealer should be checking the valve clearances at the first 600 mile check but only 1% of the bikes i have ever heard about have actually had them adjusted at 600 miles.

same goes for the 10,000 mile valve check, most people that i have talked to havent had their valve adjusted until between 15,000-20,000 miles.

the big difference will be if you warm your bike up to at least 145' F before you rip on it, a cold motor wears out more than a warm one so keep this in mind.

hope this helps:D

clarkie

stinky
10-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I got a checllist with all the services performed -

Oil check and filter
Check valves - valves good
Check spark plugs - plugs good
Check comp - comp good
Check and sync throttle bodies
Check, lube, and adj chain
Check lines and clamps
Lube all pivot points
Check tires and adj psi
Check all fluids and add if needed
Safety check
Test ride

and an itemized list of parts, which in this case is oil and filter, including the part number for the filter and brand of oil.

Thunder Factory
10-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Had an "interesting" discussion with the service manager at my dealers this afternoon when I went to book the bike in for it's initial service as he informed me that they had been told by Aprilia UK that valve checks were no longer needed at the initial service.

When I pointed out that the owners manual clearly listed checking the valves he said that they could only go by what Aprilia Uk told them.

I informed him that the sales pitch from the dealer principal was heavilly weighted to maintaining the bike and that theiir pricing included a full 4 hour first service unlike many others so I expected just that.

Any suggestions of how to mark the bike to confirm that the vlaves have been looked at?

ukfactory
10-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Bastards..all of 'em (okay...not Clarkie). You can never tell what they have done unless you stand there and watch. And if you piss them off, they can totally screw your bike up. It is hard to find a good mechanic.

mixR
10-03-2003, 03:38 PM
I reckon a valve check at 600 miles is more to do with checking whether or not the motor was assembled correctly at the factory.
Myself, I would rather the valves WEREN'T checked at the 1st service primarily because I work on the principle that the less the typical shop mechanic has to do with your bike the better.
I arranged a 'labour for free' service and paid for oil and filter only but, even that has raised my suspicions...
They charged me for fully synth oil (Putoline Syntec Plus 15/50) which I reckon SHOULDN'T be used in new motors. Sure enough, it's used a good pint in the last 1100miles.
If oil consumption continues at that rate I'll be draining the oil and putting in a base mineral oil to allow the motor to bed in properly.:mad:

Thunder Factory
10-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Mix R

Fully synth is not even recommended for the RSV engine anyway.

Totally agree that it would not be my choice for the bike.

Bloody dealers! :p

Italibikefreak
10-03-2003, 04:00 PM
I just called to make an appointment for my service I have to wait 2 weeks to bring it in. I wanna ride, but don't wanna go over the mileage shit! Anybody had any success resetting the service light yet? I can't seem to get it to work.

mille-ryan
10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Just ride the dam bikes people, your not gonna hurt it. My service light reset fine, turn on da bike, then press and hold both - & + buttons for 15 seconds.
I will refrain from getting into what oil when and how debate though, lol.

Italibikefreak
10-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by mille-ryan
Just ride the dam bikes people, your not gonna hurt it. My service light reset fine, turn on da bike, then press and hold both - & + buttons for 15 seconds.
I will refrain from getting into what oil when and how debate though, lol.

Your right I'm getting paranoid for nothing this is my third bike and I went over 600 miles on both bikes before I got the first service. Just wanna do it right with this one.:D