PDA

View Full Version : Suspention Help and Advice Needed

g-man
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi folks,

Need some advice on my rear suspention setting as i'm tying myself in knots trying to work this out.

Looked at the handbook the other day and it says preload for a 70kg rider should be 3 notches from the fully unloaded stop. My rear spring was sitting in the 3rd "hole" so only showing 2 high points (if that makes sence). I'm 75 kg in my birthday suit so gonna be heavier with all my gear on.

I've now noticed that the rear brake lever has been decking out too so somethings gotta need adjusted to give me a bit more clearence. I clicked the preload up 1 so there is now 3 high points showing. Took it for a quick run in the wet so couldn't tell much, but it felt like it was sitting more nose down. Tried lifting the rear from the subframe once i came back and found there was no sag at all and the rear is topped right out.

This is confusing the hell out of me as i'm sure all bikes have to run some sag. When i raced the Caterham if the car didn't have enough sag it was a total nightmare on the brakes etc. On this setting if i go over the brow of a hill or a bump or rise banked over its gonna unload the rear tyre surely and could spit me off. And i'm only going to be using the 1st 1/4 of travel.

I might be seriously over thinking this but just looking for some ideas to get thrown around to help me understand it.

G

g-man
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Somebody??? Anybody????

pegasobaz
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
It seems to me that what you need to do is increase the ride height not the spring pre-load, I did the same on my bandit by using some shorter dog-bone links on the underside of the swingarm.Local engineering firm knocked some up for me for 20.The bonus is it steepens the fork angle at the same time so it sharpens up the steering.The Peg doesn't have dog-bones as such but triangulated plates instead. Its only a matter of shortening the distance between the two lower sets of the holes to gain more height. I'm not sure but as the Peg Trail has a bit more ground clearance it could be that it has different plates fitted or a longer damper and spring.I'll have a look on ApriliaYorkshire and see if i can suss it out.

g-man
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Cheers Baz.

I was thinking today about knocking the preload back to what it was to give it some sag back. But then hardening the shock up.

The theory behind this was that when it's banked over it wont compress down as quick and then wont grind out so hard. I think that it's compressing down quite a bit as i load it up by turning it quite hard and decking out.

It's not really on roundabouts i have a big problem..... it's on bumpy twisty up/down b roads when it's flicking from side to side.

I see what you mean about raising the rear, but i'm not to keen on the feel of the bike when it's sitting up at the rear (as it is now with the preload up). It kinda feels like your constantly sliding towards the tank. I really like the feel of the bike as standard though, so i was thinking about changing the pegs (the factory ones look thinner) and lopping a bit off the rear brake lever would stop it too.

pegasobaz
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
It shouldn't feel that high though because you'll be able to put the pre-load back to where it was and get some sag when you sit on it, the forks can also drop a bit through the yokes to even things up if needed

g-man
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Reset the sag to standard 3 notches from full unloaded and stiffened up the shock a bit more and upped the rear tyre pressure to 2.2bar. It's still hitting the ground, but not as hard now (i.e, it's not bending up the pegs and making me crap myself).

So instead of messing about too much and spoiling a good handling bike, i'm going to ride it like this and hopefully over time it will just buff away all the bits that hit down.

Problem solved. :)

V Stromer
03-03-2007, 03:58 AM
If you don't like the sound of scratching metal buy the shaved foot pegs
http://www.motacc.com/images/rastenklein.jpg
they will give you some more ground clearance

g-man
03-03-2007, 12:14 PM
The silver ones would do. Look ideal. Where do i get them??

V Stromer
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
The silver ones would do. Look ideal. Where do i get them??

You can get them in Germany from Polo-motorrad or Louis.
could be that in the UK Hein-Gericke shops will have them

V Stromer
03-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Did some checking and the company that make those called LSLhttp://www.lsl-motorradtechnik.de/lsl_new/php/index.php?l=de

http://www.louis.de/_10a0c63a259a07056f89223e5b19a7b466/shop/img450/10047950-3_850_FR.JPG

This shop from Ebay will ship to UK try to ask them if they have in sliver also
http://cgi.ebay.de/Fussraste-LSL-Style-links_W0QQitemZ170017913638QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1018 92QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

pegasobaz
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Check out Oberon Engineering, they do some fabulous low profile footpegs in different styles and it's british made too. They've started to make a really smart taxdisc tube thats illuminated for extra bling!!

pegasobaz
03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Just checked it's www.oberon-performance.com

g-man
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Cheers guys. I'll look into it when i get a minute. :cheers:

g-man
04-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Got new pegs from the Factory Strada from Panda. They are a good bit higher and shorter so will give it loads of clearence. Also put the preload up another click and clicked the shock up a bit more. It turns without a thought now, and it very rarely touches down with these new pegs on.

Problem solved. :)