PDA

View Full Version : Saying hello

cb76
01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Just thought Id say hello to everybody as Ive just joined. Got my 06 pegaso at the begining of september and have been enjoying it ever since. Definately
the right choice of bike for me.
I am thinking of spending a weekend away on the bike and quite fancy a ride up scotland and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of some good quiet in the middle of nowhere roads. Or some good campsites
Cheers.

g-man
02-01-2007, 04:38 AM
PM me and i can give you some awesome routes up here that suit the Strada perfectly.

CeeBeeA
02-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the world Strada ownership. They are brilliant bikes and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Some great roads just over the border around the Kelso, Hawick, Moffat areas. Just get a big map and go exploring. I think Panda (?) posted some good roads in that area a while back with a map. You should be able to find it if you dig back through the early posts.

If you want to be really adventurous get up north of Glasgow and into 'real' Scotland. I rode around the entire coast last summer (up the west and down the east). The roads up the west coast north of Kyle of Lochalsh (A890/896/832) and up through Torridon and Ullapool (A835/894/838) to the very North at Durness are some of the best I've ever been on. Sometimes single track and sometimes racetrack smooth sweeping roads. Just brilliant. Thank you EC funding for spending so much money in my 'auld country' !! And there's nobody there !! Fantastic.

Took a week to do the entire 1550 miles from Glasgow and back to Glasgow always keeping the sea on my left, except when I had to cross the country at the English border from roughly Berwick to Gretna Green. That was including a couple of ferry trips to the islands. Caledonian MacBrayne ferries do rover tickets including your bike for not a lot of cash. Total cost for three seperate ferries was only 30.50 for me and the bike.

I've ridden through France, Germany and a fair few miles in the States and the north of Scotland was every bit as good and much cheaper to get to. You can be north of Glasgow in a few hours and after that you won't want to return. Give it a go, you'll love it. In fact as far as roads go I'd say it's absolutely perfect Strada country. :)

Meanwhile back in congested Hampshire.....in February......ugh..!!

cb76
02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, plenty of ideas to give me somewhere to go
cheers

AberdeenAngus
03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
In Scotland - West is Best
The Westerer, the Betterer !

Check out http://www.scottishcamping.com/
for some good camp sites.

My favorite is Calgary beach on Mull.

I'm off to Jura for a weekends camping some time soon.
The (one and only) pub lets you camp in the garden :cheers:

Anyone fancy joining me ?

Sinaisid
03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I spent 3 years living just South of Edinburgh (before job moved me back to Surrey). I had a ZZR600 then but can recommend the A701 from Howgate to Moffat. The route heads South West through Broughton (nice brewery - try Black Douglas) and follows the tweed before heading up into the hills and back down to Moffat. The route is about 40 miles and has some nice straights :) :) and some brilliant twisty bits and great views. Heading back you have a choice. Typically I took the M74 North to Abington (boring) and then the A702 back home -Though you can do the A708 to Selkirk, A7 to Gala and back North on the A7. Both are brilliant. On a Sunday morning between Howgate and Moffat you may see 5 or 6 cars. And even mid week it's not busy.

Must say I miss this route I cannot think of any route anywhere near as good down here :mad: :mad: or am I wrong??????