PDA

View Full Version : Flapper Mod?

jwm1632
01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction to disable the flapper valve? I really want to get it knocked out this weekend. Thanks.

troski
01-26-2007, 11:31 PM
take front fairing off,remove speedo,remove intake duct,unsrew halves of duct and remove flapper.if you are obsessed by weight reduction you can remove the diaphram that moves the flapper and tape up hole but make sure to jam a ball bearing or something in hose to stop vacuum leak.i was told that the electrical gizmo that controls vacuum to the diaphram can also be removed without upsetting the computer,but i haven't tried this myself.hope this helps.:)

amauri
01-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Don't waste your time, it makes no difference.

troski
01-27-2007, 06:33 PM
amauri,
what is the real pupose of this flapper?

Elridor
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Don't waste your time, it makes no difference.

Thanks for the comment I was getting ready to waste hours on this....
I'll just go back to watch tv.....

derrickhackman
01-27-2007, 07:08 PM
flapper, from what i understand, is a noise reduction tool and nothing more. having said this, anything that sits in your intake and actually closes out air seems like it should go. Amauri would know if there is real benefit to its removal. I can tell you that I pulled mine out and cleaned the intake out and everything else and it really amount to anything noticeable. If you have time on your hands and like to tinker the mod will not hurt your bike and perhaps may give some benefit.

things that are noticeable:
1/ proper suspension set-up
2/ air box mod
3/ MAP2 + open cans
4/ change in gearing
5/ good tires
6/ 100mm pistons :worship:
7/ flywheel
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

If you like to tinker ... go have a field day. If not, hold off on doing it.

THMhome
01-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction to disable the flapper valve? I really want to get it knocked out this weekend. Thanks.

Hi. If you (like me) dont want to mess with the original airintake, you can get an aftermarket one. I have just bought a Sebimoto Carbon fibre airintake, all smooth out and ready to install. :cheers:
Try to pm Cwalker, he got one for me and I think he can get more at a good price. :burnout:

But, listen to the others here, there is alot of other things to do on the bike before this is needed. like, suspension, exhaust, airboxkit, gearing.....

THMhome
01-28-2007, 04:46 AM
what is the real pupose of this flapper?

Try the thread, is gives you alot of the answers that you need for this mod.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43438&highlight=flapper+hose+picture

X-CBR MAN
01-28-2007, 05:12 AM

With stock exhaust I think I noticed a slight reduction in low end when I removed it.

Roadless
01-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Just got my bike back from the dyno, flapper gone, open cans, gutted intake airbox mod and PC3, bike was 122 on the same dyno, same operator, now it reads 138/139
BUT, oh my goodness, the lower revs are SO much smoother, this is now the bike I thought I was buying.

SEAN
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
noise emissions - air intake

yes you can unplug the solenoid i have been reliably told, but as some are saying, it's a waste of time, the thing opens over 2/3 throttle or 4k anyway

Roadless
02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, but you have that small tunnel full og yuck, I say better out than in

Jack_RSV
02-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Flapper was built to reduce noise @ low rpms (W DHM :plus: :happy: ) and nothing more.

Things to do (wish list) :happy: :
1/ proper suspension set-up;
2/ air box mod;
3/ MAP2 + open cans (PCIII as required);
4/ good tires (for Street/Race use);
5/ gearing or 520 final transmission (16/45 or whatever);
6/ flywheels;
7/ heat wraps/smaltmoto headers;

I'm in the "Power is nothing without control" school and I prefer a good setup suspensions/flywheels first and then power mods. :blah: :burnout:

:cheers:

troski
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
THMhome,thanks for link-it sounds like it may do more than just reduce noise.