PDA

View Full Version : Touno-ization. Some photos

neelie
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
An easy kit to make the RSV rideable around town for old farts with bad backs and weak wrists.

Its almost completed just waiting for bar ends and brake reservoir bracket. See photos below.

i think it looks heaps better than a tuono - and just as "comfortable"

Beau1K
01-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Tell us more :WTF:

That looks great...just dunno about the "looks heaps better than the tuono" bit. :D

drew2007
01-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Looks like an ABM convertion kit!!!Not a home made Job!! I am all for that.The only thing I am short is the RSV....at the moment....6 weeks to go!

ckruzel
01-25-2007, 09:58 PM
looks very comfortable to ride.............and its still a rsvr :plus:

neelie
01-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Indeed yes, it is an ABM kit and in general it all fitted quite easily. In australia the dude that sells them is Stu who can be contacted on info@austreetfighters.com

Beau1k.. I dont know what else I can tell you - pm me if you need further info... cheers

ChicagoFactory
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
neelie,

How about some more info on this conversion, like where/how did you cut the front fairing for bar clearance.

Tdawg
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I've considered something similar. Get a second upper and trim it and install something like this.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105428

claude07tuono
01-27-2007, 01:20 AM
are getting more upright, while we (Tuonos) are getting lower see azren's Cafe racer http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105428. I like them both!!
EDIT"Damn I must be really slow tonight. What he said."

AZRen
01-27-2007, 02:56 AM
There is a 60mm riser kit specific for the RSV. My risers are 100mm. I wasn't looking for the real RSV clip-on experience. I've spent enough time there. Just somewhere in the middle.

Beau1K
01-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Beau1k.. I dont know what else I can tell you - pm me if you need further info... cheers

I was wondering what kind of kit it was...what sort of handlebars...did you need to extend/replace any of the cables...how long did it take...is there any inteference with the windscreen :blah: :blah: :blah:

Stuff like that :)

neelie
01-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Righty-ho..here goes.

The kit is by ABM . Included was a new triple clamp, the bars and risers, assoretd bolts, nuts and spacers, extended brake lines by HEL, extended throttle cables, a new smaller screen, 2 mounting pads to raise the mirrors, clutch and brake reservoirs and brackets and bar ends...In short everything you need.

ABM has a web site, the curiously named “www.hightechforfun.de” I bought the kit from the Australian agent with with the unfortunately named web site "www.austreetfighters.com.au".

In a perfect world, it would take about 4 hours to install. It really is a no brainer. It is an embarrasingly easy job - hence my reluctance to go into detail.

However, it took me over 2 months to do it. I work month on/month off in a not very nice part of the world. Then ABM sent the wrong bits and pieces, somehow confusing a 05 RSV R with an earlier edition Mille. Everything is labelled in German - anyhow the offending items were identified and exchanged and then Christmas happened during all this confusion, and they closed down for who knows how long .. etc .. etc ... you get the idea. Plus I had a few other obstacles in my path - suffice to say that world supplies of Prozac were running dangerously low at that time.:bangwall:

The quality of the kit is pretty good - I have no complaints.

The fairing needs to be cut by about 115mm - just screw the new screen into place and it will be really obvious where the cut has to be. There is no intereference from the bars (although I have had to lower the brake and clutch levers a touch).
Keep the offcuts. In the event you want to make your chiropracter rich and revert to the original RSV-R clip-ons and fairing, the plastics shop can "weld" it back on

If you want to go down this path, pm me and I’ll detail how to avoid the the pitfalls which are all to do with ensuring you get the correct bits and pieces the first time.

The attached photo shows how much higher the bars are than the standard clip-ons

ChicagoFactory
01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
What is the cost of this kit?

neelie
01-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I paid about USD$780-ish. Everything costs at least 50% more here. So I'm guessing you'd pay no more than half that in the US. :soap: I keep FedEx and DHL rich - I buy most things on-line from the US - and its still 30- 50% cheaper.