PDA

View Full Version : battery help

chepstow
01-21-2007, 10:28 PM
i have not started the bike in a month and today it would not start. i went out and got a new battery, carged it for over 6 hours, and it does nothing on the bike. no dash lights nothing. what is going on here. am i doing something wrong here. bike is an 04 rsv-r

dragan
01-21-2007, 10:53 PM
not to point out the obvious but is the kill switch off?

THMhome
01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
i have not started the bike in a month and today it would not start. i went out and got a new battery, carged it for over 6 hours, and it does nothing on the bike. no dash lights nothing. what is going on here. am i doing something wrong here. bike is an 04 rsv-r

Did you remove to two green 30 amp fuses, next to the battery, before putting it away? :burnout:

JohnC
01-22-2007, 12:49 AM
did you put ALL the wires to the battery back on after charging it? Also what amp charger did you use?

chepstow
01-22-2007, 08:12 AM
i used a 3 amp charger. the red kill switch is out in the run position. i did nothing with any fuses. the bike ran about 3 weeks ago, and just did not have enough juice to turn it over this time. at least the original battery turned all the lights on and tried to start the bike. this new battery does nothing.

JohnC
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
do you have a DC volt meter? Also, on the battery I just installed they suggest a 1 -1.5 amp charger for over 12 hrs. I am just wondering if your battery actually charged. Even it was partialy charged it should make the lights/horn etc. work. Also did you make sure you connected all the wires back onto the battery and tightened all the connections? Was it a dry cell and if not did you add the acid/water before charging?

chepstow
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
so, i do not have a meter, and i am going back to the store to have the battery tested. it does seem to be the battery right? the fact that the bike almost started with the original, and now i have nothing. as far as connections- there are really only two. positive and neg and i should be able to start the bike right up. i have had the new bat on the charger for at least 6 hours at 3 amps, and i did have to fill the cells with acid before charging please keep the input coming
thanks

hakan_olsson
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM

On my 04, the ECU seems to "boot" in two different ways -- depending on how 'clean' the leads/battery make their very first contact. Make sure you connect the last wire 'clean' by using enough force at the initial contact.

Whilst you do it (the last wire) watch the display. Sometimes I get a '-' and that's no good(nothing works). If I get a '426' -- things are all right.

Cold that be it?

JohnC
01-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I does seem to be the battery to me. No lights, horn, dash comming on and the bike almost started on the old battery. Did you check the two main fuses as suggested? Let us know how it turns out. good luck.

chepstow
01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
i took it to the dealer today and they said the battery would not hold the charge under load. they are going to fit a new properly charged battery. my fingers are crossed.

JohnC
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Good luck, I am sure they will get her running. I was told it is very important to charge a motorcycle battery properly. I now charge them on my battery tender overnight.