PDA

View Full Version : aprilia frame

mr_ace5288
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
how is the frame of the aprilia (i think that is what its called) connected to the bike, is it attached to the bike for strength etc. or is it joined/welded to the engine? is it possible to take it off and fit another one, different color?

example:

im talking about that gold metal anodized bit running down the middle from the handle bar to the swing arm.

Gorf
01-15-2007, 01:53 PM
ummm... the frame is just there and everything is bolted in, on, and around it. The frame IS the bike if you will. The entire bike can be stripped down to it's individual pieces. Engine drops out, swing arm comes out from the pivot bolt, front end comes off with the triple clamp, etc.

Roadless
01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
And don´t play with the middle nut in front of the tank while driving...
essential parts may fall off in a critical moment...

cwalker
01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
how is the frame of the aprilia (i think that is what its called) connected to the bike, is it attached to the bike for strength etc. or is it joined/welded to the engine? is it possible to take it off and fit another one, different color?

example:

im talking about that gold metal anodized bit running down the middle from the handle bar to the swing arm.

:confused: :confused: :WTF:

ckruzel
01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
the frame goes woooo wooooo, its only there for dekaration!

http://www.millerarts.com/interactive/BubbRubb/images/originals/BubbBush2.jpg

seriously i removed the frame to save weight, tossed that heavy bitch in the trash and now the bike flys

burnham
01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
I just checked, and the frame weighs about 21 lbs. I don't think you should trash it all together, but if you drill a series of holes in the areas that don't look important...

Gorf
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Actually if you really want to save weight an even easier modification is just to run some hot soapy water in your engine after you drain the old oil. Then run the engine for a few minutes to clean it all out. You can build up several pounds of sludge in there!

Dr. Thrillride
01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
you guys are real funny...instead of taking a minute or so to try and decipher what he meant, instead of what he actually said, you embarass the poor bloke to no end and make him feel like more of an ass than he already looks like having said what he said, which is probably not what he actually meant to say. Does that make sense?:soap:

No doubt, the question reads, 'dumb', but I don't think anyone's that dumb. Why don't some of you smartguys try and figure out what he actually meant to ask and answer his question or set him right by explaining what that shiny thing is that he wants to replace. I can only assume that he thinks there is something really, really rigid underneath that shiny piece, or what is the horizontal spar of the frame. I bet someone can dig out a cross section of the frame to show him. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves...:rolleyes:

Actually, now that I re-read it, that is not just a slip of the fingers - a temporary brain fart - typing faster than the brain can operate - that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read (at least on this part of the forum). :happy:

Please continue to embarass the hell out of the poor, dumb bastard. :D:D

example:

dragonfire
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
:funnypost :WTF:

duc slayer
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I think I missed something here, isn't he just asking if the frames are interchangable, in a round about way

03terminator
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Change the gold frame colour..do it:burnout:

cwalker
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
just remove the frame.....

the end result will look, feel and handle like a harley..... (only wwwwaaaayyyyyyy faster!!!!)

you could probably even sell the prototype/idea to them....

new for 08!!!!!: the harley RSV-rtxxxxflhflhxtrrrflchx nighttrainwreck! soon at a dealer near you!!!( if all parts make it there!)

:fangs:

hakan_olsson
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I think anyone who buys a RSV R1000 Factory should be treated like a king, no matter what questions asked -- ON AN APRILIA MAKE/MODEL FORUM!

Just think about it, all knowledge comes from experience, that's the one and only way to get it. Now, people have DIFFERENT experiences! If you don't have exactly the experience it takes, you simply do not know. How the hell could you possibly know? Frame or not, he bought a RSV R1000 Factory, isn't that good enough?

You fucks! :cheers:

duc slayer
01-16-2007, 09:55 PM
:plus: :plus: mr_ace5288 just remember it's all in good fun :cheers:

for now :D

Gorf
01-17-2007, 01:59 AM
you guys are real funny...instead of taking a minute or so to try and decipher what he meant, instead of what he actually said, you embarass the poor bloke to no end and make him feel like more of an ass than he already looks like having said what he said, which is probably not what he actually meant to say. Does that make sense?:soap:

No doubt, the question reads, 'dumb', but I don't think anyone's that dumb. Why don't some of you smartguys try and figure out what he actually meant to ask and answer his question or set him right by explaining what that shiny thing is that he wants to replace. I can only assume that he thinks there is something really, really rigid underneath that shiny piece, or what is the horizontal spar of the frame. I bet someone can dig out a cross section of the frame to show him. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves...:rolleyes:

Actually, now that I re-read it, that is not just a slip of the fingers - a temporary brain fart - typing faster than the brain can operate - that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read (at least on this part of the forum). :happy:

Please continue to embarass the hell out of the poor, dumb bastard. :D:D

Hey now I legitimately answered him!! I suppose if someone was genuinely new to modern day sportbikes... like never seen one up close and with the plastic off, I could bend my mind enough to suppose that the frame could look like a "bolt on" part that is easily removed as opposed to the integral part that we all know it is. Integral... that's sort of an understatement for a stressed member twin-spar framed bike eh?

Roadless
01-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Well, being totally unembarrassed at my outburst, sarcasm and other important vices, I still remembered that my wife rides a sportsbike, but doesn´t know all that much about engines and technology.

Lets try simple explanations.
Not all that easy, once you get a person that has no idea what you mean by stresssed members in a bike frame, whaddya mean, it´s a club of ppl that are stressed???

So here´s a text for people that have no idea how a bike works, they just ride them:

The frame connects the wheels.
Also provides a place to fasten in the engine, and just about anything else you have on a bike.
Has to be extremely strong to tolerate the forces from the engine and harsh riding.
Yet has to have a slight slight flex, but only in a very limited way, no flex costs roadgrip, too much also lessens stability.
Talk to anyone who had a GPz 750 from the eighties.
its easy to swap frames, but costs a LOT of work, frames from different types or models will usually not be interchangeable.

The best thing I can recommend is that anyone who doesn´t know what and where the frame is in his or her bike, buys some books about the engineering part of their rides, and gets a little insight into what actually keeps them alive at top speed.

mr_ace5288
01-17-2007, 04:38 AM
imo there are some serious twats, now i dont know a thing about bikes as in how they built etc so it wouldve been helpful if someone couldve just told me rather than taking the piss out of it all, im new here more or less and havent got much experience with bikes at all. i thought the actual frame was inside this gold colored piece and that the gold colored piece was just something on top of it, i didnt quite know that it was the actual frame. abit like the actual bike is inside the fairings to stop harm to it. i thought the gold color was more of a colored piece of metal to stop harm to the frame in case of accident etc. hope that makes sense to the bitches.

mr_ace5288
01-17-2007, 04:40 AM
thank you roadless and others who kind of answered or tried to understand the question. i aint as clever as some of you here but thats exactly why im here and help would be appreciated.

i probably get grilled for these last two posts aswel just bcuz im trying to defend myself and the question i asked on terms of a newb, whereas those of you that have been here for time wil be like what a twat, so what if i asked a question that may seem silly to most of you, i just didnt know.

i might even get warning points, fuk it.

Jack_RSV
01-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Criticize is very simple...:blah:
...to be helpful is difficult :rolleyes:

However, yeah, the frame is what "sustain" your bike: engine, forks, shock...everything!
It's very very hard/rigid (but flexible) to tolerate all the forces from the engine and harsh riding (it's physics) and to have stability everytime.

Read some books about the V990 (here helpful manuals about our beauty (http://www.whootis.com/manuals/RSVR/) (thanks Gorf :cheers: ), and take a deeper look insight what keeps us always alive.

:cheers:

alice
01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
mr ace, we're all serious twats here and revel in any and all opportunities to rip the piss out of anything posted !!! so get used to the comments and humour mate coz it ain't going to get any better....makes the site a hoot, as well as a learning centre...btw I didn't post to your original as I was laughing too much to be able to see the keyboard...enjoy

Jack_RSV
01-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm a quite serious twat :happy: : others are serious ones :happy: !
:burnout:

Roadless
01-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Mr Ace, I wouldn´t worry about it, twatism is contagious , so you´ll be twatting soon enough.

Do speculate on one serious thing though.
A typical aprilia factory is a very powerful toy, but playing with a bike capable of ca 280kmh without any mechanical understanding can be very dangerous, so please, get some literature and read about what makes modern bikes tick.
The alternative is not noticing nor understanding a dangerous fault in your machine, and suffer unpleasent consequences.

I´ve had 25 years at biking in one form or the other, so I´ve seen the old types and seen how bikes have evolved through the years.
I still see wondrous things a bit beyond my understanding, and need someone to explain them to me, promptly followed by telling them that they are WRONG !!!!

Why be good at twatting and not use it hah?

PS: a god idea is reading a lot of magazines like performance bikes, or superbike, cycleworld if you live on the wrong side of the atlantic.
NB, there are two wrong sides of the atlantic, as we see it living at the top of it.....

dragonfire
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Thats the spirit! Take it all in jest Mr. Ace. Your question was hard to understand but taken at face value was fookin hilarious.

On a more serious note...if you want to change the color of your frame you can always rip your bike apart piece by piece and have the frame and various bits stripped and powdercoated. Just make sure you can put it back together (take lots and lots of pictures) or take it to a shop. But, in the end, you would have a very intimate knowledge of how your bike goes together.

Enjoy your new ride and hang out here for a while. A lot of very experienced intelligent blokes on this forum.

mr_ace5288
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
well that turned out okay didnt it lol. i wasnt taking it seriously but i just thought for a moment that the site might be onesided as in i have been to other forums and if someone posts a question and others rip the piss the question is never answered and they take the one person like a dope al the time and if he/she posts anything in response its hated and warning points given blah blah. now i think im a clever lad lol but :plus: for the forum, least a jokes a jokes and i can take that.

so now i know what a frame is :):):)

alice
01-17-2007, 02:58 PM
nice one mate :plus:

cwalker
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Thats the spirit! Take it all in jest Mr. Ace. Your question was hard to understand but taken at face value was fookin hilarious.

On a more serious note...if you want to change the color of your frame you can always rip your bike apart piece by piece and have the frame and various bits stripped and powdercoated. Just make sure you can put it back together (take lots and lots of pictures) or take it to a shop. But, in the end, you would have a very intimate knowledge of how your bike goes together.

Enjoy your new ride and hang out here for a while. A lot of very experienced intelligent blokes on this forum.

or easier, cheaper, and bog-simple to get back to standard afterwards:

use full-length CF frame protectors, just like i do, they install in 20 secs, and cover all that h*rrible piss-poor attempt of gold color completely top to bottom.

oh yes, and i'm NOT a pistaker!!!

i've simply got a bad character and no conscience!!!! ( which is way better than the opposite btw!!) :fangs: :fangs:

nashma
01-18-2007, 03:17 AM
Now whilst I admit it does read funny we have to remember that this is a multi-national site so english is not always the first language. We also have to cater for the novice.

In answer to the question:

You can get frame covers/overlays for asthetics and protection but the frames on the RSV are what you see. They are box aluminum (I believe) and painted or powder coated. Not sure which.

To give you an idea of how precise they can be, a friend of mine fell off his GSXR1000 at low speed. The workshop stated to him during the inspection that if they find any scratches on the fram from the accident they classify it as a write-off as the frames strength is compromised. (Don't shoot the messenger!)

In summary. No you can't take the gold off unless you strip the bike right down and re-paint it.

Hope that helps.

mr_ace5288
01-18-2007, 04:58 AM
thanks for the multi national bit but my first language is english. lol. i thort i wrote it out in the best possible understandable way/ oh well.

okay i read it again, it does sound bit silly to you but instead of a language point of view if you look at it from a complete novice view it makes sense :)

Leoallafila
01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Be nice to noobs! :gunner: :gunner: :gunner:

And will someone please tell him how to activate the gear indicator on the dash? That's like the best piece of information that ever got out of the forum and I think we should share it. :cheers: