PDA

View Full Version : Radial Calipers on non-radial forks ...

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I have the standard '04 Showa non-radial forks and am thinking of radial mount calipers. I see yoyodyne has the conversion brackets for non-radial to radial but I am curious if anyone has done the conversion and if so how did it go?

It would be cool to get some radial calipers on there if I can get them on the cheap.

If not, I will just run my standard calipers with my radial brembo MC :cheers:

y2kmille
01-14-2007, 07:36 AM
It kind of defeats the purpose. Radial calipers are supose to have more rigiditythan standard mount because of the type of forces applied to the bolts in the radial position. If you use a conversion bracket you now not only have the forces applied to the bolts mounting the caliper to the bracket but also the bolts holding the bracket to the fork lower and whole assembly is still standard mounted anyway.
I know you like the 'eye candy' but don't forget about the added weight.

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 07:42 AM
well i really want the extra braking force provided by the radials... probably makes the most sense to get a used set of OHLINS or radial SHOWA forks.

as for bling ... that really isn't for me. after all, i wasn't the dude with the candy apple red aluminum bar ends and reservoir caps :burnout: (Magnus' ears are burning now) :eek:

Poussin
01-14-2007, 07:47 AM
probably makes the most sense to get a used set of OHLINS or radial SHOWA forks.

Look here :

http://www.rsvr.net/pages/performance2.asp?section=s2&subsection=SUSPENSION&c=9

995 GBP (w/o taxes) for an öhlins, seems to be a good deal

y2kmille
01-14-2007, 07:49 AM
well i really want the extra braking force provided by the radials... probably makes the most sense to get a used set of OHLINS or radial SHOWA forks.

as for bling ... that really isn't for me. after all, i wasn't the dude with the candy apple red aluminum bar ends and reservoir caps :burnout: (Magnus' ears are burning now) !!:eek:
ha ha on the greek!

I think it is clearly a penis thing, much better racers on much better tracks have gone much farther with way less.

I may be mistaking but the extra braking force comes from the mounting and using a conversion bracket defeats that advantage.

No doubt you can buy a better caliper than what you have, but I don't think you "need" it for anything other than the way it makes you feel when you look at it on your bike.

Are you going to NYC bike show?

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
i hear on the point i don't need, rather can fully use, much more than a flintstone system... but i was just curious if anyone tried it and if it was the tits once done.

i was thinking of heading to NY for the show ... i have to see though. my wife took a vacation for the last week and i was put in charge of my 3 kids. needless to say i have some real work to catch up on when she comes back... we will see though.

you guys going?

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Look here :

http://www.rsvr.net/pages/performance2.asp?section=s2&subsection=SUSPENSION&c=9

995 GBP (w/o taxes) for an öhlins, seems to be a good deal

yeah that is a good deal ... but i can't swing that price tag right at the moment. perhaps in the fall or next winter. i am thinking long-term ... what are my options with the front end given the possibility that i get remotely fast.

kzmille
01-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Although we can all agree that radial mounting has advantages I doubt that changing to them over the standard mount 4 pad calipers will result in noticeable improvement. The radial mount and standard mount 4 pad calipers have the same diameter pistons and use the same pads.

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
interesting .... non-radial 4 pad vs. radial 4-pad ... non-racing calipers (not the mono-block 1200 dollar jobbies) will stop about the same.... interesting.

thanks kz :cheers:

burnham
01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I saw an Ohlins front end complete with mc's, calipers, axel, triple clamps, and clip-ons a while back on e-bay go for short money ($2100 I think). It was from estatemotorcars in New York. They seem to dismantle a fair amount of bikes, maybe worth keeping an eye on them.

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks for that heads up... I recall seeing that post also. It was a pretty sick deal. :cheers:

bob57
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Sorry, but non really big difference between radial and non radial calipers...I had twice and really you don't feel day and night.
The best thing for you if you want to spend money improving tyour breaking is a pair of non-radial racing calipers.

duczilla
01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Hard Racing has the Ohlins kit to change your lowers to radial mount. take your bottoms off and install the new ones.
www.hardracing.com
Your welcome
Roy

Jet City Racer
01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
If you did a blind brake test I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the radial and non radial mounted brakes.

ckruzel
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
if your going for the upgrade - GO BIG!

http://www.hardracing.com/images/Ohlins3.jpg

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 02:08 PM
interesting ... i can see the physics behind the radial system but from what everyone is saying it appears the actual 'felt' braking power (by us mortals) is hard to detect. perhaps this is another cool innovation that makes it into production that had more marketing power than anything else.

thanks for the input... i will do spend money on tires ... can always use tires ... :cheers:

Jet City Racer
01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
thanks for the input... i will do spend money on tires ... can always use tires ... :cheers:
Good choice. :)

cwalker
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
if your going for the upgrade - GO BIG!

http://www.hardracing.com/images/Ohlins3.jpg

my idea exactly! which is why i have the above sitting on my desk right now, to be drooled over everyday untill i get the time to bolt them into project mayhem's yokes.... :lover: :lover:

ckruzel
01-14-2007, 04:58 PM
walker, how is the new business going?

cwalker
01-14-2007, 05:06 PM
crazy at the moment.... just opened, need to move house still, sleeping (if i do) on a bare matress in the living room, 'cause i don't want to leave the shop unguarded at night, working on cleaning and 'restoring' the whole shop/building, and doing the brussels motorshow at the same time. during weekends, the mechanic (filip) is helping out at the show as well. it's all very crazy, but at least we're topping the dealer's sales charts at the show at the moment...

will do a full thread with pics and all on the shop and all the work we're doing on it as soon as these crazy days calm down a bit
:cheers:

y2kmille
01-14-2007, 05:10 PM
i hear on the point i don't need, rather can fully use, much more than a flintstone system... but i was just curious if anyone tried it and if it was the tits once done.
No disrespect ment, I understand the need to have cool shit, I am an addict without funds myself!

I think most of the hype about a newer systems being better is all such a marginal thing. Back in the old days, when brakes were made from wooden drums and stone pads (joke) a braking system could easily be improved upon. Technology always makes short work of 75% (guestimate) of the problems quickly, but then things kind of level off after which it becomes few and far between to see major improvements. Minor improvements on the other hand can prove very successful in racing so development marches on and manufacturers still need to say they're better than the next guy so things like radial brakes trickle down to the consumer.
I would love to have them also but I will wait until I buy a bike that comes with them stock, they sure do look bitchin'

[qoute=derrickhackman]i was thinking of heading to NY for the show ... i have to see though. my wife took a vacation for the last week and i was put in charge of my 3 kids. needless to say i have some real work to catch up on when she comes back... we will see though.

you guys going?[/quote]

I'm going with a few friends that don't don't know chris, I'm of coarse hoping to see him there. I'm going friday this year.

farva03R
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
i raced with the ohlins/four pad radial calipers in 05 with ferodo pads.

in 06 i raced with the four pad non radial calipers again with ferodo pads. i'm no hayden but i honestly couldn't tell the difference....both of them were sick, in a positive way.

on a side note, i couldn't really tell the difference in suspension between the 03r's ohlins and the showas that were raceteched and sprung for my weight. someone with more experience or faster might be able to tell the difference. i also liked the fact that i could pick up a set of showas for around 400 bucks compared to 1200 for a set of used ohlins if i was lucky. :burnout:

derrickhackman
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I got some SHOWAs coming with the RaceTec internals so I should be good there. I was curious about the radial caliper aspect. I really sounds like there is no measurable difference over non-radial calipers... amazing.

kzmille
01-15-2007, 01:04 AM
One of the features of both radial and standard mount 4 pad Brembo's which first appeared on the standard 4 pad is the third bridge and bolt between the caliper halves. This bridge is one of the reasons for the four pads and greatly increases caliper stiffness. That both styles have this feature and the same piston diameter and pads probably explains why performance is so close between them.

Dr. Thrillride
01-15-2007, 02:21 AM
I disagree with the others. At least from my experience, when I swapped my showas for the ohlins, there was an obvious difference in braking (I push my fronts hard with a hairpin that turns into itself at the end of the straight and I'm 227 without my gear).

If you are treating yourself and your bike to something, I'd get a pair of ohlins or look for the radial showas (The PVM fork bottom with a radial mount is around $1500 US, so why not just wait around for a good pair of ohlins and spend a little more).

Also, recall that soon there should be a racing brembo monobloc to match the spacing on the radial ohlins/showas. I bought a set of radial showas from AF1 to put on the spare bike my son is building, to get rid of the standard showas.

interesting .... non-radial 4 pad vs. radial 4-pad ... non-racing calipers (not the mono-block 1200 dollar jobbies) will stop about the same.... interesting.

thanks kz :cheers:

Roadless
01-15-2007, 06:03 AM
The main difference in radial calipers and old style is a bit of theoretical flex in material.
But old style brakes had already got better than most normals could use.
Supposedly one should be able to break closer to the lock-up point with radials, the thing is, that close to locking up my front wheel in traffic, I´ve already soiled my suit.

As for the bling factor, radials win hands down.
IMO, a conversion kit to attach radials on a non-radial mount, would give you brakes that are worse than oem non-radials.