PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cuts out at 4k rpms, Help Please!

sodark
01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
I'll start by saying that the search engine on the site has been failing this morning, otherwise I would have done much more searching to try to find the answer, so I apologize for bringing this up if addressed previsouly.

Ok, so here's the deal.
I buy an 04 RSVR from a deal that I know pretty well. Or so I thought. They sold me a bike that they said had no issues, just needed a new speedo because it reset itself a few times. I take it back in to get the speedo done when the new one comes in, go riding for a few hours...72 in January!...and notice no issues after riding for two hours. We stop for lunch and afterwards go for another ride.
We get stuck in about 15 minutes of traffic and at one point when I blip the throttle, it stalls out. I think nothing of it. Starts right up, and we cruise through town at 35mph. I'm at about 3500rpms and the engine starts to feel like its cutting out or bogging down. WTF is that about?
No issues on acceleration, only at steady low throttle.
I tell them at the shop and they tell me that the bike had soem issues before with the throttle shutting off on hard acceleration and the replace the fuel pump already which helped.
Anyone have a similar experience or have any ideas?

I know the shop is reputable and the Aprilia tech there is supposed to be extremely good as he was the mechanic for an Aprilia racer for a few years so I still feel pretty comfortable with them, but is there anything you guys can suggest that they may be missing? A short list to give them to check would be awesome.
Thanks guys!

p.s. There's much more tech knowledge on this forum than the Ducati forum...haha

Fanatic1074
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
If its only happening at 4k i would think its prolly an ECU problem. Or maybe if it has a PCIII the PC has a map that is incorrect at that RPM.

That would be my guess.

amauri
01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I assume you're talking about Martin Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA.

That is a very reputable dealer and I suggest that you work with them to resolve the issue. I know a couple of the techs there personally, they know their business.

It's always a good idea to look here for possible solutions but sometimes it can lead to confusion and unnecessary parts replacement.

Also keep in mind that nothing pisses off a dealership more than an owner showing-up with a list of things they read about on the internet, it's kind of like trying to tell them how to do their job.

milleRrrr
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Same thing happened to me (at around 6k). it turned out to be a loose connection to the dashboard.

Have your dealer/you recheck the new dash connections. Not a hard thing to do.

Italijet
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
It's always a good idea to look here for possible solutions but sometimes it can lead to confusion and unnecessary parts replacement.

Also keep in mind that nothing pisses off a dealership more than an owner showing-up with a list of things they read about on the internet, it's kind of like trying to tell them how to do their job.

.... And nothing pisses off a customer more than spending hours waiting and spending hard earned cash having a tech run endless diags and investigations just to tell the owner what they had also found out/knew.

sodark
01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
it is martins in coopersburg, and by no means would i try to tell them whats wrong. But it has been my experience in the past that these forums offer a ton of great information because of the high concentration of the same bike.
Anyway, i know what your saying and yeah, it would probably piss them off, but i'm sure they would rather not waste too much time troubleshooting if it was a common problem or an easy fix like the new speedo not being connected well enough.

so it goes in tomorrow morning and i'm very confident they will fix it, thanks for the info everyone and if anyone is interested i'll post what the issue was.

fwiw, i would highly recommend using martin euro to anyone looking to buy or get service done, they are among the best out there!:cheers:

milleRrrr
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Any update??

it is martins in coopersburg, and by no means would i try to tell them whats wrong. But it has been my experience in the past that these forums offer a ton of great information because of the high concentration of the same bike.
Anyway, i know what your saying and yeah, it would probably piss them off, but i'm sure they would rather not waste too much time troubleshooting if it was a common problem or an easy fix like the new speedo not being connected well enough.

so it goes in tomorrow morning and i'm very confident they will fix it, thanks for the info everyone and if anyone is interested i'll post what the issue was.

fwiw, i would highly recommend using martin euro to anyone looking to buy or get service done, they are among the best out there!:cheers:

sodark
02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
From what I understand, the dealer said that when they replaced the speedo the ecu may have lost its mapping. they reinstalled the mapping and said its running very very good now. I just gotta get around to picking it up now, its been too damn cold and snowy for the past few weeks
I'll update again if anything changes, as for now I'll have to believe that they have it figured out.