PDA

View Full Version : Is it True?

Fanatic1074
01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I heard a little while back that they are doing away with the 990cc class MotoGP. Is this true? If it is wouldent the new V4 be a waist of time for aprilia? I thought that is one reason to build that machine is for the motogp.

spoonz
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
It's initially for superbike not motogp.
Motogp is now 800cc but i wouldn't mind betting it's had some thought given to a possible switch to motogp should Aprilia ever have the budget

greatdane
01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
MotoGP bikes are 800 cc in 2007 onwards.

All MotoGP bikes are prototypes, so the V-4 Aprilia is not eligible. No part can be from a production motorcycle. Moriwaki was disqualified in the past for having top ends from a production bike while waiting for their prototype top ends.

Rgds,
Henrik

spoonz
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
MotoGP bikes are 800 cc in 2007 onwards.

All MotoGP bikes are prototypes, so the V-4 Aprilia is not eligible. No part can be from a production motorcycle. Moriwaki was disqualified in the past for having top ends from a production bike while waiting for their prototype top ends.

Rgds,
Henrik

Forgot about the prototype thing. You have a point

kzmille
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
...I thought that is one reason to build that machine is for the motogp.
The V4 engine that aprilia is developing is for World Superbike and for production bikes, not MotoGP.

y2kmille
01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I heard a little while back that they are doing away with the 990cc class MotoGP. Is this true? If it is wouldent the new V4 be a waist of time for aprilia? I thought that is one reason to build that machine is for the motogp.
I noticed you don't have your location under your screen name, I figure it must be 'under a rock'.

:cheers:

Fanatic1074
01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I noticed you don't have your location under your screen name, I figure it must be 'under a rock'.

LMAO! yea i guess your right. So it sounds like they really are dumping the 990's that sad. i love watching those races. Its gonna take out some of the fun in it just knowing that they are working with the 800cc engines.

On the aprilia thing. I wonder if they ever will try for MotoGP. I will sign up as the pilot for one of those things. :) I may end up last every race but it will be fun riding it!

kzmille
01-09-2007, 06:00 PM
LMAO! yea i guess your right. So it sounds like they really are dumping the 990's that sad. i love watching those races. Its gonna take out some of the fun in it just knowing that they are working with the 800cc engines.

On the aprilia thing. I wonder if they ever will try for MotoGP. I will sign up as the pilot for one of those things. :) I may end up last every race but it will be fun riding it!
In testing the 800's have already been turning faster laps. I don't think the racing will suffer.

cookhj
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
In testing the 800's have already been turning faster laps. I don't think the racing will suffer.

i read the same thing. honda also dropped the 5th cylinder in their new bike the RC212V. almost all the bikes now are V-4's with the M-1 being one of the few that's a I-4.

gyges_1
01-12-2007, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I wonder if the lighter 800 bikes already besting the 990s will play more to the strengths of guys like pedrosa who weighs about a buck-ten soaking wet?

Closer to the feel of a 250 or 500cc? I'm curious.

dragonfire
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
The seating position on the Hondas of Hayden and Pedrosa is much further forward than the 990cc. I wonder how Nicky will adapt and if Pedrosa will have the advantage due to his smaller frame.

I hope not, I am a Nicky fan all the way and would love to see him dominate the class. Valentino is going to have a very challenging season!

y2kmille
01-12-2007, 06:45 PM
rossi is toast!