PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Picking Leathers

YGROWUP
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Hello All

I have been racing Enduros for quite some time now, and have decided to get back on the street. My last street bike was a 71 Bonny so my clothing is way out of date.
I would like to get a 2 peice leather set since it will be more practical than a one peice for playing around on the streets. Not sure if I will be going to the track or not.
My question to you is: should I go with the all black leather look or something with a lot of red in it? I have attached a pic of my bike to give you the colour theme.
I am also going to need a new helmet but that is another issue.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

derrickhackman
01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Black all the way :burnout:

Here ya go...

click (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103340)

dragan
01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Black all the way :burnout:

Here ya go...

click (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103340)

That was shameless self promotion :kidding: want a job? :cheers:

derrickhackman
01-07-2007, 11:59 AM
yeah i know ... i know ... i know ... what kinda job ya thinkin' ?? :burnout:

ok, now that i am feeling bad and that i did not fully answer the question... i would go all black but it depends on your taste. i have never had a issue with black ... being too hot or otherwise.

a 2 pc. suit is nice since you can pull the top off when stopping for a coffee or just to hang out for a bit during your rides. if you are on the street with the bike you need all the protection but really none of the go-fast stuff like a speed hump.

fit will be your biggest concern (outside of color). you have get something that fits tight and proper. there are some guidelines that reasonably well unless you have an odd body shape. if you are pretty normal (shape-wise) then you should be OK going with what the sizing charts say.

mike p
01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Hello All

I have been racing Enduros for quite some time now, and have decided to get back on the street. My last street bike was a 71 Bonny so my clothing is way out of date.
I would like to get a 2 peice leather set since it will be more practical than a one peice for playing around on the streets. Not sure if I will be going to the track or not.
My question to you is: should I go with the all black leather look or something with a lot of red in it? I have attached a pic of my bike to give you the colour theme.

Thanks for the help.

Mike I have the red and black alpinestar pant, the ones with the knee pucks. it's pretty heavy weight for the summer month so I know what you mean there. I like the red and black combo better myself. They have a mesh type of breather in the crotch and upper thigh area so that allows some stretch when mounting the bike. If you look at these they also run a little small so get the next size larger then what you wear now.

YGROWUP
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I did try on a 42 Teknic yesterday and the jacket fit great but the pants were very sloppy. I am 5'10" and weigh 160 lbs. I am going to check into how much to take in the pants or bite the bullit and get a custom made suite.

derrickhackman
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah, you are on the right track.... for custom look at XES leathers at www.moto-heaven.com. Phil is a good guy and his prices are reasonable... 1pc race suits only though :cheers:

coleman1
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I did try on a 42 Teknic yesterday and the jacket fit great but the pants were very sloppy. I am 5'10" and weigh 160 lbs. I am going to check into how much to take in the pants or bite the bullit and get a custom made suite.

I'm 5'11" AND 165....I bought a black and white (I should have gone all black) Vanson Mark 2 Lightning jacket. It fits perfect. I got an all black helmet as well. It's just too hard trying to match the Aprilia "Fluo Red" paint. You can't go wrong with black.

Bobb
01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
yeah, you are on the right track.... for custom look at XES leathers at www.moto-heaven.com. Phil is a good guy and his prices are reasonable... 1pc race suits only though :cheers:
Ive never heard of them, but the suit looks nice, and is priced NICELY. I really like the zipper!

pizzadude
01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
While you're buying this leather, I've got two great boot choices for you...both are BRAND NEW!!!

Sidi B2 size 43

or

A-Star SMX Plus fully vented size 45.

More shameless self-promotion!! :) But i'll give you a great deal!

derrickhackman
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
pizza dude... does the sidi 43=A* 45? the a* is like a 10 .. right?

pizzadude
01-07-2007, 04:33 PM
close...

the Side 43 is like a 9.5/10 and the A* 45 is like a 10/10.5

The A* 45 is a bigger boot...definately a 10.5 in my opinion and the Sidi 43 is a 9.5. Unfortunately, I'm a size 44 for either boot mfg I think. Hence my need to sell.

pizzadude
01-07-2007, 07:36 PM
And price I'm looking for:

SIdi B2 size 43EU (or 9.5/10 US): 175 shipped to lower 48

A* SMX Plus Vent size 45EU (or 10.5 US): 220 shipped to lower 48

derrickhackman
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
what color sidi??

pizzadude
01-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Good question...

Both are in black. The SIDI's are black with gray/silver trim...a very simple, good looking boot...no PowerRanger equipment! :)

twisted1
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I love my Sidi Vertigo Airs!... well as far as boots go....
It's HOT down here in Florida!
Nice to get a fresh breath of cool air on them...
Look hot and fit is superb!

Also have a pair of Spidi Unit leather pants.
Very nice!
Not baggy at all and I'm a light weight!

have not tried their jackets yet...

I can get some pretty good deals on that stuff if anyone wants to PM me..
We just can't advertise below list.. as that is the agreement w/them

Sidi/Spidi

Twisted1
www.twistedbikes.com

pizzadude
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
twisted1, i just ordered a pair of spidi unit pants from kneedraggers last night...didn't know you guys had them. I did,however cancel the order, because as it turns out, I'll be at the IMS on saturday in Wash.DC, so i'm hopeing to look,feel, touch the SPIDI stuff before i buy.

i found a great deal on the Spidi 7 jacket that i think i'm going to go for too...

derrickhackman
01-10-2007, 06:56 AM
twistedbikes here (http://www.twistedbikes.com) also carries the sidi boots. I need a size 44 and am looking at the Vertigo Corse boot... they are the best boots you can get from a fit, finish and protection standpoint :cheers: The cost however is equal to a set of rubber. I had a bud lowside at low speed and crushed his foot; may have been preventable with top-end boots.

now I just need to sort out what color.

:burnout:

pizzadude
01-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Derrick...yeah, when i got my bike saturday, i was able to get 10% off access. so i did get a great deal on some A-star SMX Plus. Lots of protection. I originally thought that i didn't want/need that much protection, but i got to thinking that street riding is more dangerous than track riding to some extent...so more protection was good.

I loved those Sidi's though, the A-stars are just a smidge big...i too should have a size 44, but these are a 45. They're aren't sloppy big, but the deal was too good pass up on...

Will certainly take getting used to such a boot. I will admit with some embarassment that I always just wore a pair of DocMartens to ride in, but always knew i needed a real pair of boots. New jacket & pants coming before riding season as well!

derrickhackman
01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
something keeps ringing in my head ... 'spend money on protective gear.... spend money on protective gear ...' then get the best stuff you can get because it will make a difference :cheers:

Those SMX boots, what is the protection like around the ankle? How high do the boots come on the shin? Those are suppose to be pretty good boots too. I am really between those and the SiDI boots.

pizzadude
01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
They are very well armored. The shin plane is very robust and comes up at least to mid=shin if not a bit highter. The heel is very well covered with a hard plastic...the ankle protection is stout at the very least with side plates coming up close to the top of the boot too. Most of the descriptions I've read, call them a semi-professional boot. i would advise at least checking them out. They are 280 new, Kneedraggers has them for 220 i think. I got them for about 200 at the dealer.

They are comfortable, but defnately riding boots...not "ride, go walk around the park, ride some more" boots.

twisted1
01-10-2007, 11:58 PM
You got PMs... I think you'll like the prices...

twisted1, i just ordered a pair of spidi unit pants from kneedraggers last night...didn't know you guys had them. I did,however cancel the order, because as it turns out, I'll be at the IMS on saturday in Wash.DC, so i'm hopeing to look,feel, touch the SPIDI stuff before i buy.

i found a great deal on the Spidi 7 jacket that i think i'm going to go for too...

twisted1
01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I think both are excellent boots.
I'd compare the SMX more with the Sidi Vertigo and not the Vertigo Corsas though....
Both the A-Stars and Vertigo will give great support.. and don't think either are great to just walk around in.
I do remember some guys complaining about the SMX being a bit hard on the bike.. as far and rubbing and scraping... but I think that might have been an older SMX model.

something keeps ringing in my head ... 'spend money on protective gear.... spend money on protective gear ...' then get the best stuff you can get because it will make a difference :cheers:

Those SMX boots, what is the protection like around the ankle? How high do the boots come on the shin? Those are suppose to be pretty good boots too. I am really between those and the SiDI boots.

AfricaWim
01-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Hello All

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Back on topic..lol...I have the same problem. I have been shopping for a few months now, and just can't make up my mind which way to go. I want all the protection I can get, but agree that I do not want to look like a Power Ranger. Everything out there with good protection is seriously multi-colored, and the custom made stuff around here is not in the same class http://www.breakthrough-ministries.com/images/dunno.gif.

As a rule I don't buy to match my bike as the leathers will last me a long time and the bike may go tomorrow http://www.breakthrough-ministries.com/Grafix/dospesos.gif
Now if I can get a suit like this I might think about upgrading.
http://www.motonation.com/assets/250/00000416.jpg
Black and "vintage white"

derrickhackman
01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Here ya go ....

and that is not me in that picture .... XES leathers http://www.moto-heaven.com

:cheers:

YGROWUP
01-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Africawim

If you are looking for a great custom suit and don't mind having it made and shipped from Canada, check out www.imleathers.com They have been making suite for over 25 years. Well that is how long I have known about them anyways. They will make and ship anywhere.