PDA

View Full Version : Different gearing on my factory

ninja_fox
01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm looking to get some more acceleration out of my '05 factory as some of the tracks that I'm going to be riding this year are too short to get the decent top end out of it and (as usual) I've got a few questions!

it is better to go down on the front or up on the back?

I'd like to keep the same chain if poss as I've heard it's a nightmare trying to put a new one on. I've also heard that it's not too easy to get the front sprocket off either!

I'm guessing that one tooth off the front will be plenty but would I notice one up on the back or should I start at two...?

Any advice greatfully received!!

derrickhackman
01-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Changing the stock 16t front sprocket for a 15t front sprocket is not all that difficult ... I think only 37-38ft lbs of torque hold the bolt; the bolt should come right out.

You can change the front to 15t with no change in chain.. you probably don't want to go any smaller than 15t as the strain from such a small front sprocket will cause a lot of premature wear on the chain.

Changing the front sprocket should take no more than 10mins.

:cheers:

junttan joe
01-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Changed the sprockets on my 04 Factory to 15 front-42 rear and the standard chain is still OK with some adjustment left.Yesterday was the first chance I'd had to really try it out,it really does make a big difference from standard-pulls like hell all the way to the limiter.Top speed will probably be a bit down,but down here in Devon that doesn't matter too much.Really worth doing.:burnout:

Chris

ChicagoFactory
01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Changed the sprockets on my 04 Factory to 15 front-42 rear and the standard chain is still OK with some adjustment left.Yesterday was the first chance I'd had to really try it out,it really does make a big difference from standard-pulls like hell all the way to the limiter.Top speed will probably be a bit down,but down here in Devon that doesn't matter too much.Really worth doing.:burnout:

Chris

:plus: 15/42 ROCKS! Best mod I've done, and I still use the stock chain also.

Firebolter
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Did the same on my Tuono, but use 15/41. Makes low speed traffic much more tollerable if you get in city traffic. Makes 3/4th awesome in the twisties.

ninja_fox
01-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Hmmm, think that I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend!

dragonfire
01-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Where can I get a 15/42 set up that uses the stock chain?

kendo
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM

you just need to order a new set of sprockets from any good supplier and you can still use your standard/original chain , as long as its in good condition.

this is the best mod i have made and the top end speed difference is not worth mentioning

ChicagoFactory
01-05-2007, 06:50 PM

Right here at AF1!!! http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=143