PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you put Nitrogen in you tires instead of air?

scott2ride
01-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I noticed a local tire shop sells Nitrogen to inflate your tires.

NZ$5 per tire (US$3.50)

Apparently it doesn't get the PSI increase when hot. Maybe a 1psi. And is softer riding and more compliant feeling. Is more stable and does not get hot and expand the tire like air does...etc

But has anyone actually tried it and what was the result? Any noticeable changes?

MDRSV
01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Try helium instead, its lighter and you will have less unsprung weight too. Plus its inert. Maybe Agron would be good. I recommend not using Hydrogen though.

scott2ride
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
he he yep Helium is what I said... but my voice is all squeeky when I talk so you probably miss heard me! :D

Plus not enough beers so Im not thinking straight!

MASHMAN
01-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Maybe you could try liquid filled tyres. Certainly seems to do the trick with gliders at holding the inertia that has already created and could aid acceleration. Failing that, should you crash your bike on a track, erm, say Taupo, you can just pull the straw out of your pocket and drown your sorrows in seconds instead of waiting to get to the bar.

scott2ride
01-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Maybe you could try liquid filled tyres. Certainly seems to do the trick with gliders at holding the inertia that has already created and could aid acceleration. Failing that, should you crash your bike on a track, erm, say Taupo, you can just pull the straw out of your pocket and drown your sorrows in seconds instead of waiting to get to the bar.

Whoever said I waited to get to the bar? I totally reccommend a shot of Scotch to settle the nerves before you hit the track. But not more than 10-12 good sized shots!:cheers:

MASHMAN
01-04-2007, 02:59 AM
The nerves - Ahhh you mean the shakes from the night before, right?

I think there was a thread on here about a month ago that went into the helium, hydrogen, nitrogen thing, with aerospace engineers, rocket scientists and Uncle Frank from down the pub weighing in with their "advice"

You may have missed it during one of your black outs

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99486

GRIFF125
01-04-2007, 03:24 AM
I used to fill the tires on my clasic race car with nitrogen.

Great for the circuit as it allows you to dial in you suspension quicker, instead of wasting laps while waiting for your pressures to come up.

Fail to see any benifits for use on the road, but great for the track.

derrickhackman
01-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I know that upscale car dealerships offer N2 as an option... I think I was told (by CKruzel) that it was like $40 for N2.

I would run it if I had a N2 compressor or if I had easy and cheap access to it. :cheers: In reality it would be at the bottom of the list of what I spend my $$ on but still would be on the list.

rokspydr
01-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I have been using N2 in my comp jeep(rockcrawling) for a few years now, it helps alot knowing the pressure will not change from initial setting. So I have been using it in my Tuono also with no problems. I have a N2 fill station which helps.
marc

neelie
01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Your regular free Air is approximately 78% N2.

And someone is telling you that replacing the other 22% with N2 is going to make a discernable difference?...Believe that one and theres a whole bunch of Nigerians who will be very keen to do business with you - they just love the smell of a good scam in the morning.

In the context of dry gases in a tyre, I'd be keen to hear someone justify the $5 N2 fix and still keep a straight face. :worship:

And if anyone else is keen to part with 5 bucks, bypass the middleman, send me the money and I'll refill your tyres with the gas of your choice via astral projection. :cheers:

duc slayer
01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
oh boy, not this topic again. I'm going to run and hide for a bit

RSVR Buncey
01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi, I have heard of this for the main benefit as you say of your pressures not growing with heat, but i dont know how usefull it is on bikes , Do the GP or AMA boys use it if not probably not worth it.