PDA

View Full Version : faulty brake pad photo

kendo
01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
at last i have figured out how to attach a photo.:happy:
this follows existing Thread ( is there a god ) regards faulty brake pads, so see what you make of it.

kwoody51
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Looks like the friction material came off the backing plate. Correct?

Edit: Just read your other thread.

Looks like there was some corrision under the pad material. Do you store you bike outside?

Could have been a factory defect with the bonding agent used to secure the pad to the backing plate.

kendo
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Looks like the friction material came off the backing plate. Correct?

yes... but why should this happen to brembo pads

Gorf
01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I agree with kwoody51, it could definately be faulty backing adhesive. Those are bonded as opposed to rivetted (does anyone even make a riveted pad for bikes?). But given what looks like rust and corrosion around everything else, I would suspect it has been over exposed to the outdoors. Daily temperature extremes could weaken the padding I suppose.

kendo
01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree with kwoody51, it could definately be faulty backing adhesive. Those are bonded as opposed to rivetted (does anyone even make a riveted pad for bikes?). But given what looks like rust and corrosion around everything else, I would suspect it has been over exposed to the outdoors. Daily temperature extremes could weaken the padding I suppose.

yeh i see your point but apart from occasional riding in the rain and occasional salty roads in winter and of course cleaning it is never out in bad weather as spends life in garage but isnt heated so.......who knows

farva03R
01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
thats just scary. someone was looking out for ya!!

ckruzel
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
yes... but why should this happen to brembo pads

it can happen to any bonded pad, i've seen this a few times in the automotive world

derrickhackman
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Everyone should be in the habit of doing maintenance on their bike. Put it on the stand and pull it apart. Pull the wheels, brakes, dump the oil, bleed the brakes and clutch, change the coolant ... check the dogbone, look at the chain, torque everything ... general maintenance ... do it once a month if you ride a lot.

then before almost every ride do a pre-ride inspection. check all the important stuff.... MSF says TCLOTS... which I think is Tires, Clutch, Lights, Oil, Throttle, Steering... I may have forgotten some but you get the idea.. just make sure the bike can do down the road at 100mph and not fall apart.

Race bikes get taken apart after most race weekends. I know I take my bike apart after every track day and prepare it for the next one... Seems excessive but if a brake failed or something crapped out on your bike it is your responsibility and not the manufacturer of the brake pad, bolt or whatnot.... this is your responsibility :cheers:

MASHMAN
01-02-2007, 03:47 PM
yeh i see your point but apart from occasional riding in the rain and occasional salty roads in winter and of course cleaning it is never out in bad weather as spends life in garage but isnt heated so.......who knows

Ahhh, the good old salty roads of the UK, i remember them well. I was always having all sorts of problems with my Ferodo pads, granted it wasn't on a Prila, but it generally resulted in one side of the pad falling off. The problem was 2 fold. The bike was kept outside and I think the constant changes in the weather didn't help. The main culprit was the salt, i was constantly cleaning the pads if it looked like there was any, and i mean any hint of salt being on them, that stuff not only eats the brakes, but the bike, i'm sure you've seen this. The other was binding brakes. I figured that as the brakes were sticking every now and then (salt and crap preventing them from working problem etc...), and not with a perfect pressure from all pots, that they'd be slightly worn on an angle on the front or back pad and when they were working I can only assume that the pressure of uneven pads as i braked caused them to crack and crumble. Some things to look out for i guess and that may not have been the whole story, just my experience and never ending battle with brake pad preservation.

hope this helps some and this isn't the problem.

ckruzel
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I used to strip my racebike down to the bare frame almost bi-weekly, clean and lubricate everything, pull the clutches out examine them, piston and rings, tires, clean the power valve, i enjoyed working on it, it never really took all that long including replacing bearings in steering head and swingarm on a regular basis, typically pads were changed from race to race or after practice, i used the ebc green pads, they wore out quick

derrickhackman
01-02-2007, 07:52 PM
:plus: :plus:
thats what I am talking about :cheers: soon you will be tearing down you new race bike ... just like the old days 'eigh :burnout: