PDA

View Full Version : Is There a GOD????

kendo
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi and Happy New Year to all

I awoke early this morning without a hangover and low and behold the sun is out and the sky is clear, so what better way to start the new year than to dust off the aprilia and take her for a well earned spin. :)

Eagerly i slipped into my cold and stiff leathers and began to wheel her out of the garage only to discover the front tyre was flat.:confused:

Thinking back to the end of my last ride (which proberbly touched on 200 miles around the finest roads Wales has to offer at the beginning of December) i didn`t recall any tyre problems when i was putting her away, so i quickly fetched the foot pump and hastily refilled the tyre with air only for it to deflate again within 10 minutes.

O well no ride for me today.

I resigned myself to putting her back in the garage and began to remove the front wheel with a view to having the tyre replaced first thing in the morning.

As most of us are aware this involves removing brake pads and whilst doing this one of the pads friction material segments just fell away from the metal back.:WTF:
Upon closer inspection it was fairly obvious that water had penetrated, caused corrosion and caused said problem????
looking at the other pads it is clear that some of them will be affected by the same problem as cracks are showing where the friction meterial fixes to the metal back.
is this a common problem. The pads fitted from new in 04 have only covered 7k miles and still have plenty of miles left in them.

After I had calmed down a little and began to think more clearly some pretty scarry scenarios started to come to mind;

picture this....

I am happy riding down my favorit road, braking hard for the next sharp bend and hey.... pad looses friction material, brake lever pulles right back to clipon, no time to pump lever and :WTF: i am in a hedge, or under a truck, or wrapped around an oak tree leavig my kids without a dad!!!! or worst still having to be pushed around in a wheel chair in a state of vegetation for the rest of my days.

So here is my question, IS THERE A GOD ?. I have asked myself this many times today.

My reason for this question should be fairly obvious. If i had not had a flat tyre this morning would brake failure have sent me to an early grave today?

Is this just a question of chance or just plain luck, good fortune or WHY or has God stepped in and postponed my departure from this planet for another day.
Please feel free to comment on this situation as any input would be most welcome or just tell me i`m a crazy Mother............!

thanks for reading this and once again A Big happy new year to you all

jmarnell
01-01-2007, 01:47 PM
It has ben said before and is worth repeating again and again... before every ride, no matter how short or how often, check your bike. Don't simply admire it, check it over completley. Look at the brakes, calipers, check the tire pressure and look for damaged wheels, inspect the chain and linkage clean and oil every 600 miles and give the suspension componants a good lookover. I also have a trickle charge ready to go if my bike is idle for more than two weeks... keeps the battery fresh.

This is not only good preventative maintanance but will hopefully catch any problems before your stairing down the barrel of a nasty problem.

Simple common sense prevails.

kendo
01-01-2007, 03:28 PM
It has ben said before and is worth repeating again and again... before every ride, no matter how short or how often, check your bike. Don't simply admire it, check it over completley. Look at the brakes, calipers, check the tire pressure and look for damaged wheels, inspect the chain and linkage clean and oil every 600 miles and give the suspension componants a good lookover. I also have a trickle charge ready to go if my bike is idle for more than two weeks... keeps the battery fresh.

This is not only good preventative maintanance but will hopefully catch any problems before your stairing down the barrel of a nasty problem.

Simple common sense prevails.

Thanks for your comment, but unfortunatly in this situation it has no relavence.
As an experienced motorcyclist of some 25 years covering no less than 200k in all weathers and for most of that time bieng solely responsable for all of my own maintenance and repairs i am quite aware of routine pre-ride inspections.

but since the only way of detecting that the friction material on the pad is about to come away from the pad involves considerably more than just "looking at the calipers", rather than to remove it and inspect it, then i think this falls somewhat outside of the basic checks one would carry out before each and every ride.

One of the reasons for the posting of this thread was to hopefully recieve some response regarding similar issues fellow aprilia owners may have experienced or some intelligent technical feedback in order to understand the cause of the problem in order to help prevent this sort of potentially lethal situation happening again.

MDRSV
01-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I spray my calipers once a month with brake cleaner to prevent build-up of dirt and gunk. Once a year or so I remove them with the pads too and use a toothbrush to give them a real scrubbing.

Bobb
01-01-2007, 03:40 PM
I spray my calipers once a month with brake cleaner to prevent build-up of dirt and gunk. Once a year or so I remove them with the pads too and use a toothbrush to give them a real scrubbing.
This is a good idea. I am normally too damn lazy to mess with it, but im gonna have to make a resolution i suppose.

kendo
01-01-2007, 03:51 PM

hi and thx for your input

can you tell me if is this a common problem.
I have been repalcing pads on bikes and cars for 25 years and have only come across friction material coming away from pad/shoe twice, first time on car the brake cylinder had for some time been leaking fluid onto shoe, second time brake had been binding and overheating was the cause turning fm practically to dust.

scott2ride
01-01-2007, 05:40 PM
As far as the pad material coming off, Ive never heard of that before and I would be back to the dealer with the old pads to get them checked, and insist they supply the new ones. But do take them back as what if it is discovered that a batch of adhesive (or whatever) was wrong for all the pads and your action could help save others from having an accident.

And as far as the question about "Is there a God?"

Christ knows! (pun intended). Thats a mighty loaded question and could result in a pretty spirited (another pun?) debate.

Personally, even if one believed in God or a God... it is highly doubtful that 'God' would have intervened to show you your brakes were buggered. It's far more likely that it was just a fortuitous coincidence.

Hmmm, but on the other hand... if you fixed the brakes then tried pumping up the tire again... and it stayed up this time.... well that would be spooky!

If you are someone into the spiritual side of things then I guess that the likelihood of 'God' intervening is still pretty slim. But thats not to say that something unusual hasnt happened for you. If you believe in spirit guides or other such entities, then maybe they are looking over you and had something to do with it.

I guess we will never know....

But if you want a discussion on religion or God (which are probably quite separate), then the biker bar is probably the best spot for it. :D

Anders J.
01-01-2007, 05:40 PM
It happened to me on my car once with cheap aftermarket pads. One day when I was braking there was a loud bang and the brake pedal sunk to the floor without any brake effect. I had to pump the pedal several times before the brakes came back.
When I later inspected the pads it was steel aginst steel on one of the pads. All the friction material had fallen off. The root cause was the same as yours, corrosion between the friction material and the pad.

In my case it was cheap aftermarket pads but I think it's a bit scary that it can happen with quality pads like brembo.
I haven't seen anything like this on any of my bikes, been riding for over 25 years. Last time I checked the pads on my RSV they looked ok but after reading your story I will give them a closer inspection.

kendo
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=scott2ride]As far as the pad material coming off, Ive never heard of that before and I would be back to the dealer with the old pads to get them checked, and insist they supply the new ones. But do take them back as what if it is discovered that a batch of adhesive (or whatever) was wrong for all the pads and your action could help save others from having an accident.

I have tried to post a picture of the pad but the file size is to big!! and as i am not very pc wise i am unsure what to do to correct it.

thanks for your view regarding god, this i found most amusing.
As a non believer of a God or certainly a god as we are encouraged to believe in, it was only as a result of this coincidence that i started to question my belief.
If there are guides of the spiritual kind then who knows i might just have been visited today.

I will contact my dealer and hope he does`nt just tell me to sod off.

kendo
01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
It happened to me on my car once with cheap aftermarket pads. One day when I was braking there was a loud bang and the brake pedal sunk to the floor without any brake effect. I had to pump the pedal several times before the brakes came back.
When I later inspected the pads it was steel aginst steel on one of the pads. All the friction material had fallen off. The root cause was the same as yours, corrosion between the friction material and the pad.

In my case it was cheap aftermarket pads but I think it's a bit scary that it can happen with quality pads like brembo.
I haven't seen anything like this on any of my bikes, been riding for over 25 years. Last time I checked the pads on my RSV they looked ok but after reading your story I will give them a closer inspection.

I am pretty sure corrosion was the cause and as soon as i figure out or someone tells me how to reduce the file size to post pics i will post some for your viewing

nashma
01-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Open picture in photoshop and resize and save.

kendo
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Open picture in photoshop and resize and save.

will give this a try
cheers