PDA

View Full Version : Gilles Chain Adjuster/Spacer Question?!

soberman001
12-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Friends
I got a set of Gilles Chain adjusters and threw them on my 2004 Factory yesterday. Couple of questions if someone has this specific set.

http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?id=443

1. There is a "counterpart" that attaches to the main adjuster and secures the adjuster by wrapping around to the inside of the swingarm. The instructions are vague and call for a nut to be placed between the adjuster and the "counterpart". When I put the nut in, it creates too much space between the adjuster and the counterpart and leaves a gap between the inside of the swing arm and the counterpart. In other words, with the gap, the counterpart does nothing because it doesn't touch anything.

So.. I took out the nut and secured the adjuster directly to the counterpart with the two supplied bolts. It holds tight!

Does anyone see a downside to this?

2. One the right side of the adjusters, there is a clear indicator which lines up with the scale to show where you are on that side 1-2-3-4 etc. On the other side, there is nothing so I don't know what part of the slider is pointing to the gauge/scale. Anyone got any help on this?

Thanks guys/gals!!

ckruzel
12-30-2006, 09:53 AM
send jwa1 a pm he has them

fz1boxer
12-30-2006, 10:53 AM
i have those same instructions which appear to be generic.
lots of extra's left after installation.
some of that stuff is for the liftres that are purchased sepratly but likeyou i will wait for someone that has previous experience with them

soberman001
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM
i have those same instructions which appear to be generic.
lots of extra's left after installation.
some of that stuff is for the liftres that are purchased sepratly but likeyou i will wait for someone that has previous experience with them

I got plenty of extras that are in fact for the lifters. Thanks for that confirmation. Lets see what the rest of the guys have.

Cheers.

mnm222876
12-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I have them, and yes, installing the nut would make it impossible to install the inside clamp pieces. I did not use the nut. Works fine, holding strong.

soberman001
12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I have them, and yes, installing the nut would make it impossible to install the inside clamp pieces. I did not use the nut. Works fine, holding strong.

So, you just have the main adjuster screwed directly to the backplate with the two screws? That is what I did and it feels rock solid.

Others have said (as does the warning on the instructions) that you don't even need the backplate but it is a "nice to have" especially if you use the lifts.

Thanks!! :burnout:

mnm222876
12-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Before you install the axle, there are three bolts holding the adjuster plate to the swing arm. Install the forward facing one first (red), then the two holding the clamp (blue). Use loctite and make sure they're tight. The adjusters aren't going anywhere. Once you get the axle in and the axle nut torqued, then they definately aren't going anywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/mnm222876/IMG_2541b.jpg

jwa1
12-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Before you install the axle, there are three bolts holding the adjuster plate to the swing arm. Install the forward facing one first (red), then the two holding the clamp (blue). Use loctite and make sure they're tight. The adjusters aren't going anywhere. Once you get the axle in and the axle nut torqued, then they definately aren't going anywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/mnm222876/IMG_2541b.jpg

yep i agree:plus:
mine have not worked loose ever not even after 20 track daz and dozens of adjustments. you don't even need the secondary fasteners once the axle nut is snug.area circled is the spot i use to align. the chain on that side. i found that to be themost accurate.

soberman001
12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Cheers!. Yours is exactly as mine is installed. Thanks!!!

I wish they put better instructions with these things. For the $$, you would think they would.

I am going to go back and loctite mine this morning!

Have a great new years!

bob57
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
question to the owners: is it easy to putt on/off the axle and the rear wheel with these adjusters?
I'd want to use that in endurance and we need to change the rear wheel quickly...

mnm222876
01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
question to the owners: is it easy to putt on/off the axle and the rear wheel with these adjusters?
I'd want to use that in endurance and we need to change the rear wheel quickly...

Not as fast as a racing quick-change setup, but yes, much quicker than stock.

BRG
05-10-2009, 05:47 AM
So.. I took out the nut and secured the adjuster directly to the counterpart with the two supplied bolts. It holds tight!

Does anyone see a downside to this?

BE CAREFUL!

I've just fitted a set of Gilles Chain Adjusters. I left off the nuts (none provided in the kit) as suggested and started tightening up the first screw (circled blue)....quiet klick....carried on and started tightening the second screw....again, quiet click. Looked down and.... :WTF: the nibs on the counterpart have snapped off!. (Attachment shows afterwards - with spacer washer)

I fitted the other side with a washer spacer and that's fine.

Apart from that, the positive push/pull of the adjusters makes wheel alignment and chain tensioning a piece of cake.

Kid A
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Without the nuts or spacers you can not crank down on the counter clamp. Just tighten it by feel. It only has to really keep them in place when the wheel is removed. You can't expect the aluminum to bend like that. Look at the amount of stress they were under in that photo. Done right there will be some gap left between the adjuster and the counter clamp, it OK. Like seen in this pic below.

Also make sure to lube up the adjuster bolts with some anti-seize. Back them all the way out put some on and them screw them back in. I didn't do it on first install, and after 6 months they were almost seized in place to where I couldn't loosen them up when I wanted to remove the rear wheel.

BRG
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Having confessed my blunder to Gilles Tooling, they posted me an updated manual and a new counterpart (bless 'em).

The new manual (temporarily located here (http://www.zen50505.zen.co.uk/AF1Forum/Gilles_KTS-RR-T_InstallationManual.pdf)) says to use Loctite and finger tighten the counterpart screws [2 N m].

05-27-2009, 04:06 PM
BRG, did you get the lifters as well? I'm thinking seriously in getting these, but don't think I'd go with the lifters tho. I'm fine with the Swing Arm Sliders by acculign.

BRG
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
No ...., I didn't get the lifters.

There didn't seem to be any point as the standard bobbins work fine for me.