PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure - Kiwi Style...

MASHMAN
12-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Hi all, this one is aimed at them thar Kiwi folk, or anyone who's had to pump up their tyres in Kiwiland. We UK folk are used to PSI and yet the book doesn't seem to cater for that measurement.

ergo, what, on a kiwi pumpitupanometer, pressure do you usually put in your front and rear tyres...

cheers

Mash

kapongakid
12-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Presently running 34 F 35 R , I,m on Dragons as on the bike new which i,m not use to . Might drop front to 33F , set up is not complete yet .
My last 04 Factory had pilots on and it seem to run better at lower pressure , this is an 06 Factory . Regards..

GRIFF125
12-22-2006, 03:30 AM
With Pilot powers I ran cold pressures of 36F and 38R.

MASHMAN
12-22-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks gents, shall sort that out tomorrow...

Mash

scott2ride
12-22-2006, 05:12 AM
What tyres are you running?

(all pressures are cold pressures)

Assuming you are going for a spirited ride I run 33F 36R for Corsa's or SupaCorsa's.

For Pilot Powers I run 35/36F & 38R as any lower and they seem to tramline and move around on the road.

MASHMAN
12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I've got Pilot Sports on, i can only assume they're Pilot Power Sports. Took the bike out for a wee run yesterday an it felt a tad slippery, to the point where i thought i had a puncture, but i think it's just tyre neglect, that and setup issues needing to be addressed.

Another question. My son is over from the UK and i'll be dragging him out on the back every now and then. He's a light little thing, mums genetics, do i need to ramp up the pressure as the manual suggests, or as i won't be going crazy shall i just leave them as they will be after todays garage visit?

scott2ride
12-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Generally speaking the lower the pressure the hotter the tire will get and the more it will grip (up to the point where it overheats and goes off).

Anyway, more weight on the bike heats the tire more (more grip) but it also deforms the carcus and the reason you raise the pressure for 2 up is due to this fact and also because you dont want the tire to wear out too fast.

A lower psi tire heats up more, but also grips more and wears out more. So raising your rear psi for 2 up will make the bike feel a little more stable and will preserve the tread.

Id put it up, but Im fussy. It wont matter of you dont for 1 ride!

MASHMAN
12-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Cheers Scott. He's a light thing so it'd probably be a waste of time to pump in a few more psi in relation to the time he's here and the number of times he's pillion, but they just felt so nasty uncomfy the other day that something needs to be sorted.

MASHMAN
12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
UGH, another feckin puncture. Looks like i might have a U shaped nail inside one of the treads. Dunno what the procedure is over here, but usually when that happens from whence i came it was a new tyre. Pisser, absolutely gutted. Front tyre is in great knick and the rear only has just over 5000k's on it.

Is there anywhere that does reconditioned tyres? Primarily as i don't wanna have to put a new Pilot Sport on the back after the bad press they've been getting on here, thought i'd change in another few thousand K and when my funds would allow such a thing.

scott2ride
12-23-2006, 06:39 PM
They dont do reconditioned bike tires... and even if they did I would not buy them!

Is the puncher front or rear, and is it in the side wall or the tread? If in tread, is it in the outside 1/4 of the tread or inner tread.

The reason I ask is because certain types can be repaired with a plug from the inside. I did this at a track day and it lasted till the tire died some 3000km later.

nashma
12-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Personally, I wouldn't touch a repaired tyre with a barge poll. It's a weak spot in the structure and at the clicks we tend to do at times the stresses are too extreme to risk it all.

Just MHO.

MASHMAN
12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Shame they don't do reconditioned tyres over here. I'm a pretty conservative rider, you know, to and from work in a straight line and as upright as i can possibly be, ahem, so i wouldn't be too bothered about a set of commuters.

Tis in the rear, just off centre so nowhere near the wall. It looks like half of it is heading through the tyre at a 90 degree andgle and the other half is straight into the tyre through the centre of the tread. I'll see what the guys at TSS say.

The one i had repaired last month, or the month before, can't really remember, has held quite nicely. It needed running in as you could feel it going into slow right handers, bump bump bump. No excessive speeds undertaken recently though, nothing over 200k's anyway.

I just need it to survive til the end of Jan as my trip to Sth Island looks like it's on for the first weekend of Feb. Heading somewhere just south of Queenstown, so after readin that write up I may well spring for some Pirelli's to run in.

scott2ride
12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
For your kind of riding..and even a bit of spirited riding, I would use Pirelli Diablo rear and Diablo Corsa front. That way you will still get good grip, but also good mileage.

I've even used a standard Diablo for a track day and it was fine. Plus used the std Diablo 190 rear for several South Island trips on my old 20 RSV. And they were perfect.

When you go into TSS ask themabout the full system they just installed for 'Scotty'. They fricken LOVED it!!!!

It is the www.smaltmoto.com full 60mm system and carbon cans. I sent them down to them for the install as the bike was in wellington. They were very very impressed with the pipes. And the extra grunt from them was huge compared to the Akrapovic race cans that were on it beforehand.

MASHMAN
12-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Will take that into account when i'm buyin new rubber. Where's the best place for buyin oh great Sage???

Now you promise that when i mention your name they aren't going to set about me with tyre irons and fit my ass to the rim of my mags????

Sound pretty impressive. I kinda like my Akra's, they seem pretty understated, not too noisy til you just crack the throttle, right colour for the bike, but i think they'll be a little happier with a new airbox. Am thinking about trying to do a home mod as the money has been reappropriated for other things...

nashma
12-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Scot - That pipe work looks flippin awesome. I thought the Tigcraft look good, but.........!

scott2ride
12-26-2006, 02:39 AM
Will take that into account when i'm buyin new rubber. Where's the best place for buyin oh great Sage???

I dont know wellington bike shops very well. So all I can say is phone around. But a mate there with an RSV uses TSS and says they have been goo.

And I think I gave you the contact details for Dean, who races an RSV. he is wellington based so will know where to get the tires. Call him or email me and I will sort for ya.

MASHMAN
12-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Cheers Scott. I need to reply to Dean, been mailin him over the last month. Seems like another one of them thar fountains of knowledge and a darn fine chappy at that...