PDA

View Full Version : leak from my gas cup

kostas
12-19-2006, 12:08 PM
hello people first of all i want to say to everybody to have nice christimas with their family also i want to wish to everybody the nextyear to be more quick as the v 4 is cooming out :burnout: :burnout: so my question is this i have leak from my tank which is coming from the gas cup so if anyone knows anything or if anyone has done something please post some pic as to see what you have done to solve the pro

scott2ride
12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
It is a problem with a number of the 04 bikes and possibly the odd 05. Easy fix and I have done this to several bikes now.

The leak may look like it is coming from around the outmost ring of the cap, however on close instection every one I have checked has had it come from the main seal where the fuel cap closes down on the lip of the fuel entry hole.

I'll post pics of the fix. But it is easy and you dont even need to take the cap off.

Simply open the fuel cap and put a lint free cloth or similar over the fuel hole to prevent anything falling in.

With a flat end screw driver, pry off the orange/red plastic cover plate/ring thing that sits over the top of the rubber seal on the underside of the fuel cap lid.

Under it sits the rubber ring seal that is supposed to seal against the lip at the top of the fuel entry hole. And under that rubber ring is a thin metal ring.

Pull the rubber ring off.

Find a piece of rubber of about a 1-2mm thickness and cut it to the same shape as the rubber you removed (basically it is a big circle with a hole in the middle!). Once cut to shape slip it onto the underside of the fuel cap and then slip the original peice of rubber seal back over the top. Pusk the red/orange plastic cap thing back over the end until it clips firmly into place.

Close the cap (it will be tighter to close) and you are done!

I used a peice of Butinol roofing sealant rubber. But whatever you use make sure it wont desolve with petrol. Part of an old inner tube might be ok too.

Note, if you can only get a thick peice of rubber to cut to shape that might be ok. If it is slightly thicker than the original seal by 1-2mm then use it but just dont reuse the original seal.

I'll post pics but hope it helps.

EDIT: go here for my fix http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97978

kostas
12-19-2006, 04:44 PM
dear scott thanks in advance mate i approciate your reply and i wlli be totaly aware if you can post pic with the precise way of haw i can do it like on your answear above also if you can saw me the product that you use in order to find it here in greece thanks in advance again mate