PDA

View Full Version : 04 RSVR MODS, what if????

millhouse
12-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey all,
can someone tell me what kind of gains I could expect once I add an EVO air -box and a Power Commander to my track bike?
Currently the bike only has the Aprillia TI pipes.
Agter doing these mods is there anything I should be aware of when tuning the PC3 or is it all straight forward?
Thanks for any advice I can get.
This is the bike in question.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/millhouse999/DSC00698.jpg

derrickhackman
12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Those decals look familiar :cheers:

I have the evo air box and the PC3 and I can tell you that the PC3 smoothed out whatever jittery feeling there was in the throttle response. The throttle response is nice an smooth. The big benefit of the PC3 is getting the bike custom mapped to your bike configuration. Each bike is different no matter if they have the same mods and the best way to get the best performance is to get a custom MAP.

My bike is a track-only bike too and I can tell you that she screams with the airbox and the PC3 and the open pipes. I am really not sure about the net benefit of the open airbox but it seems to work fine and the bike is plenty powerful. She really like to be in the 7k rpm + range; 7-10k rpm is the sweetspot ... at least this is how it feels on the ass dyno :cheers:

amauri
12-16-2006, 10:54 AM
can someone tell me what kind of gains I could expect once I add an EVO air -box and a Power Commander to my track bike?

How does your bike run now?

Is the throttle response smooth, without hesitation or lean spots from the bottom all the way to the top of the RPM range?

Does your dealer know how to correctly setup the FI with the latest Aprilia ECU software, switched to map-2, throttle bodies balanced and idle fuel mixture adjusted via the AXONE?

You'd be surprised at how little, if any difference in lap times the EVO box and PC3 makes on a stock bike like yours when it is properly updated/setup to begin with.

Before spending the money on a custom mapped PC3, ask your dealer to connect the AXONE and report back here on what version software is currently loaded in the ECU.

derrickhackman
12-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Amarui ... sound advice :cheers:

As a footnote to my post. I had the latest MAP2 software and the TB synched and she still needed a PC3 to fix the lean spots and the uneven throttle response. bad luck I guess...

amauri
12-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Amarui ... sound advice :cheers:

As a footnote to my post. I had the latest MAP2 software and the TB synched and she still needed a PC3 to fix the lean spots and the uneven throttle response. bad luck I guess...
Yes, but does your dealer have the password that enables the AXONE idle trim adjustments?

This make a big difference in throttle response.

I'm off to Willows Springs for the day, will continue this discussion about passwords when I get back tomorrow.

derrickhackman
12-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Amauri .. what if a bunch of East-Coast dudes chip in and pay to fly you out here for a weekend ... you can stay at the house here and we can get all the local Aprilia owners to show up for a day of wrenching. :cheers:

Somehow I don't think I can convince ya ... :burnout:

millhouse
12-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah I had my ECU updated 5 days ago. My local dealer had to download the latest map from Aprillia and I am sure its the map2 I received. I was hoping the air-box and PC3 added some extra horse power though.

ChicagoFactory
12-17-2006, 12:10 PM
IMO, the airbox is a must! The airbox will help a lot more with midrange power with maybe a little on top. The PC3 and a custom map will smooth things out IF there is anything to smooth out.

Like Amauri said, if properly set up from the dealer with map 2, and the TB's sync'd properly, there is no need for the PC3. Mine runs smooth and does not need it, but I do have an airbox mod.