PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Ready to buy 07 Mille but.........

cgmmny
12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm new to this forum and need some help. I haven't had a bike in 3 years and have had the itch to get another. At this point I've been approved for financing and just have to sign the papers to pick up my new bike. Unfortunately, the wife is a little concerned about my safety, well she doesn't want me to die. She wants me to have a bike, but she just doesn't trust the other motorist on the road.

So what do I say. What do I do? I want the bike, bad! But I don't want this to turn into an argument. :bangwall:

Any advice you all can provide is appreciated!!!

Thanks

Wingspan
12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
You'll probably get hurt, you might die...driving a car, walking down the sidewalk, sitting on your couch, and yes...riding a motorcycle.

Reality. There's no point arguing it.

If her only worry is the other motorists on the road...TRACK BIKE!

mr_ace5288
12-14-2006, 09:50 PM
buy one, have the arguement, she cant last forever :)

RZRob
12-14-2006, 10:05 PM
My take is - Shit Happens. Her concerns are valid. If you aren't a natural on a bike (she'd know), I don't think I'd push it on something this intense. My suggestion, would be to start with a dirt bike and do that for awhile Heck, you'll have a blast and keep your license. I've seen people that aren't instinctive on bikes and they always end up dropping them. This is an expensive bike to drop and when you do, you'll be out the money and she'll have won - even if you don't get seriously hurt.

RZ Rob

AZRen
12-14-2006, 11:57 PM
the wife is a little concerned about my safety

As well she should be. It's a lot of bike for someone who hasn't been on one in three years.

What's your history with motorcycles?

I'm willing to bet the people on this site are going to side with your wife not knowing anything about you.

BUT, tell her you won't ride at night initially or in heavy traffic times. Tell her it's for weekend rides out of the city. Tell her it will be fun for both of you. She'll ride with you once and love it or fade out and you'll have it to yourself.

If that fails. Get a huge life insurance policy on yourself with her as the beneficiary. She'll come around.

I'm sure introducing motorcycling into a marriage after the fact can be a touchy subject. Good Luck.

cgmmny
12-15-2006, 12:09 AM
My take is - Shit Happens. Her concerns are valid. If you aren't a natural on a bike (she'd know), I don't think I'd push it on something this intense. My suggestion, would be to start with a dirt bike and do that for awhile Heck, you'll have a blast and keep your license. I've seen people that aren't instinctive on bikes and they always end up dropping them. This is an expensive bike to drop and when you do, you'll be out the money and she'll have won - even if you don't get seriously hurt.

RZ Rob

Maybe I should've mentioned that this is not my first bike. This would actually be my fourth. When we met, I had a Ducati 748. She use to love riding with me on the weekends when we'd go to Huntington Beach. However, it's been four years without a bike and since then, I guess she's become somewhat more concerned about me riding.

I want this Mille to mainly be a track bike. I've never had the opportunity to participate in track events. Beside riding on track, I see myself putting 200 to 300 miles max a month during the summer (That's because I don't have the time ride like I use too)......

I guess I'd like to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and how they handled the situation. We talked about it tonight and I told her I'd sleep on it........I guess I wont be sleeping tonight or gettin' sum!!

Again, thanks for your input thus far and I look forward to hearing more opinions........

cgmmny
12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
As well she should be. It's a lot of bike for someone who hasn't been on one in three years.

What's your history with motorcycles?

I'm willing to bet the people on this site are going to side with your wife not knowing anything about you.

BUT, tell her you won't ride at night initially or in heavy traffic times. Tell her it's for weekend rides out of the city. Tell her it will be fun for both of you. She'll ride with you once and love it or fade out and you'll have it to yourself.

If that fails. Get a huge life insurance policy on yourself with her as the beneficiary. She'll come around.

I'm sure introducing motorcycling into a marriage after the fact can be a touchy subject. Good Luck.

Funny you mentioned the life insurance policy! We took out a million dollar policy on each of us about six months ago. If I go (whether it be train, plane, bike, stabbed or shot), she gets a cool mil. So that part is covered.......

AZRen
12-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Well come on then.

She's covered should the worst happen. If your going to be on the track mostly, how much safer can you get? If riding has been part of your life and she's been exposed to it then it's not like this is shocking news for her.

You need to make it sound reasonable to her. Don't try to use Logic. Sorry ladies. :)

You have to take the emotional approach. Harken back to your days when you rode together. Let her know how much you miss it from your life. It's who you are. You can't keep ignoring it. Then thow in the sensible crap I mentioned before.

I went a short span in my mariage without a bike. The longer you go the harder it will be. So make the stand now if it comes to that.

Jet City Racer
12-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Funny you mentioned the life insurance policy! We took out a million dollar policy on each of us about six months ago. If I go (whether it be train, plane, bike, stabbed or shot), she gets a cool mil. So that part is covered.......
I used to tell this joke during the new racers school.

"Get a million dollar life insurance policy so your family will be taken care of in the event of your death..... or get a two million dollar policy and she'll load the bike for you." :D

cgmmny
12-15-2006, 12:47 PM
I used to tell this joke during the new racers school.

"Get a million dollar life insurance policy so your family will be taken care of in the event of your death..... or get a two million dollar policy and she'll load the bike for you." :D

Very funny!!!! Anyway, I made the decision to purchase the bike and will be picking it up today. I figure that she'll warm up to it, eventually.

The bike is a red 07 RSVR. I will post pictures hopefully this weekend.

Thanks!!!

Morgan
12-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm new to this forum and need some help. I haven't had a bike in 3 years and have had the itch to get another. At this point I've been approved for financing and just have to sign the papers to pick up my new bike. Unfortunately, the wife is a little concerned about my safety, well she doesn't want me to die. She wants me to have a bike, but she just doesn't trust the other motorist on the road.

So what do I say. What do I do? I want the bike, bad! But I don't want this to turn into an argument. :bangwall:

Any advice you all can provide is appreciated!!!

Thanks

It's great that you've got a wife who cares about you like that.

Look at the statistics of road-kill - bikers are pretty much there - a peak between 16-21 years (young and inexperienced) and another peak at 36-45years (over confident born-again bikers).

Do her some respect and show her that you care too: go on an advanced motorcycling riding course. Take it easy on a mid-range bike rather than then RSVR (I ride a Factory, but then I've been riding since I was out of college).

I'm more terrified of riding a push-bike than I am a road-racer: in England, push cycles are sandwiched between parked cars with door-flingers and then moving traffic on the nearside - plus you don't get the speed to acclerate out of danger..

Good luck!

PS - The Factory RSVR is gorgeous!