PDA

View Full Version : Nasty turbulence at around 120 MPH +?

fnfalman
11-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I was on I-40 going from Los Angeles to Phoenix and on some of the straightaways with nobody around, I kind of open her up a bit.

The joys were shortlived because by the time I hit 120 MPH +, I start to receive some very nasty turbulence. It usually started behind my right shoulder and by 130, the whole bike is shaking and buzzing.

It was so bad that I can't even maintain the speed much less going any faster.

Anybody experienced this phenomenon? The weather was gorgeous. There were hardly any wind at all.

spectda
11-23-2006, 11:12 AM
The bike has always felt very stable at those speeds to me. Maybe your tires aren't balanced properly.

dougan
11-23-2006, 01:37 PM
has to be tires/wheels... I've spent plenty of time (too much time) beyond those speeds, and the bike is rock-solid.

consider your riding position & riding gear as well.... sometimes with a backpack on, I get tossed a bit over 120. Never shaking thought....?

maybe you got a lemon.

fnfalman
11-23-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't have a backpack on but had a gym bag strapped down to the rear seat. It's off now, so maybe I'll sneak out to the highway late tonight and open her up again and see.

If the tires and rims aren't balanced, I think that they would have caused nasty vibrations by now and not just about 120.

blueblade
11-23-2006, 04:54 PM
What sort of jacket did you have on. A loose fitting one will set up a shocking vibration at those speeds.

fnfalman
11-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I had the same jacket that I wear in my avatar. It's custom cut to my body so fitting isn't an issue. I'll see if I can sneak out on the highway tomorrow night and open'er up and see again.

PS It didn't seem to matter with my seating position, tucked down, sit up, whatever, I can feel the turbulence at my right shoulder first and then the vibration throughout the whole bike.

curvecrazy
11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Did you try turning round going the other way? Lots of times there is turbulence and its hard to tell affecting the bike. A slight sidewind or headwind usually. If you go the other way you may find the bike is stable and no problems and then you know its the conditions.

Some riders don't ever balance they're tires and have no problems. I forgot to balance a front tire one time and during wheelies it was so far outta balance that it would oscillate the front suspension back and forth. During a standup it would go in and out about three inches forward and back. Very odd to look at, just a blur but you could tell it was moving in and out about three inches or so, and I didn't know what to make of it. On balance it took about two ounces of weights. LOL Then the oscillations were gone and all was normal. ++

AZRen
11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Were you on the AZ side? I've felt similar turbulance on all my bikes. I don't know if it's pressure systems around here or what. But you can ride the same road on separate days with absolutely no wind and get a totally different experience. Some days you can ride with no traffic around and everything seems totally calm yet your getting your ass kicked. The very next day you cut through the air like a knife. :confused:

curvecrazy
11-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I agree completely. But I'm about 2k miles away in NY. Same sensations here. Hard to figure why. :burnout:

spectda
11-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree completely. But I'm about 2k miles away in NY. Same sensations here. Hard to figure why. :burnout:
It must be because of global warming. Maybe Greenland is thawing quicker then expected!

Maxacceleration
11-24-2006, 01:50 AM
I think body position is important on this bike. For me, a tight tuck with my eyes just over the windscreen. Squeezing the tank with your knees help to 'tighten' things up a bit too.
For me the Tuono is much more a through the gears bike than a top speeder...

dougan
11-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Wait.... Wait..... Wait....

We need to back-up here and look at the Real Issue:

"I had the same jacket that I wear in my avatar"

I always saw that pic and figured it was a joke.... kinda like Chris' Helmet.

I'm starting to think the turbulence may be coming from a higher power.... direct infliction from the Aesthitics Gods

ckruzel
11-24-2006, 09:39 AM
doesn't hurt to have some fairings

go_modem_go
11-24-2006, 11:56 AM
The joys were shortlived because by the time I hit 120 MPH +, I start to receive some very nasty turbulence. It usually started behind my right shoulder and by 130, the whole bike is shaking and buzzing.

One of the advantages of the Falco. I can do 200km/h all day long on the Autobahn: Much less turbulances than on any naked bike, or even some of the R6-style bikes (low screens). Oh, and it looks better - without a full plastic yoghurt-cup cladding à la RSV...

Wouldn't do a constant 120mph on a naked though - that must get a bit tiring after a while, hell, even after 20 minutes.

On the other hand, how often do you do that sort of thing on heavily speed limited US highways? Rarely I guess. But he Tuono is the ultimate twistie machine, more than makes up for the lack of high-speed comfort and stability!

ckruzel
11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
On the other hand, how often do you do that sort of thing on heavily speed limited US highways? Rarely I guess. But he Tuono is the ultimate twistie machine, more than makes up for the lack of high-speed comfort and stability!

i do that on the way to work, or going to lunch, just because we have speed limits doesn't mean we drive like seniors, there is a road where i live where i can get knee at 150 if i want, it requires no skill to hit high speed sweepers, i prefer tight twisty roads, got lots of them around also

Jimfins
11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
"it's shaped like my body"... :)!!!!!!!

fnfalman
11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Wait.... Wait..... Wait....

We need to back-up here and look at the Real Issue:

"I had the same jacket that I wear in my avatar"

I always saw that pic and figured it was a joke.... kinda like Chris' Helmet.

I'm starting to think the turbulence may be coming from a higher power.... direct infliction from the Aesthitics Gods

It's the color scheme of the BMW Roundel. Why would it offend God? After all, if he didn't ride a BMW then why would the sky be blue and the cloud be white?

fnfalman
11-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Okay, I think that it was the gym bag on the backseat that caused the nasty turbulence.

I went a few times today bringing her up to indicated 130-MPH in all cardinal directions, north-south, east-west and vice versa just to make sure that I got headwind, crosswind, diagonal wind, whatever, covered. The bike didn't vibrate any more than it should.

go_modem_go
11-25-2006, 09:46 AM
The bike didn't vibrate any more than it should.

I bet it was you vibrating in the wind, without any fairing to speak of :D :burnout:

I found the original Aprilia luggage racks and side panniers on the Falco to be stable up to about 200km/h (125 mph). Above that, you have a slight sensation of lurching / fishtailing, especially with crosswinds from passing 18 wheeler trucks. Not really dangerous, but enough to keep speeds below 200km/h on long rides with side pannier luggage.

Top speed on a deristricted Falco with standard 16/41 gearing is about 250km/h (155mph), or 240km/h (150mph) on shorter 15/41 gears. That's with less power than a T07. I rarely ride that fast, even though it's perfectly legal to do so on some unlimited stretches of highway here.

Jimfins
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Do you think you really want to use the term ROUND-EL to describe the jacket?

fnfalman
11-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Do you think you really want to use the term ROUND-EL to describe the jacket?

Excuse me for not pretending to be an Italian male model.

chrisscaines
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I have to retire the yellow screaming zonker helmet... to easy for Johnny Law to spot. I have my eye on a few.

BTW, I hit 140+ mph yesterday (still pulling hard) on the way to coffee on the 56, and it was smooth as silk... wind turbulence, to be sure... tucked down, no problem...

Jupiter
11-27-2006, 03:34 PM
...For me the Tuono is much more a through the gears bike than a top speeder...

Exactly. One of the reasons I traded my R1 for a T7 was to focus the fun below 110 mph or so. And that has indeed come to pass.

Maxacceleration
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Exactly. One of the reasons I traded my R1 for a T7 was to focus the fun below 110 mph or so. And that has indeed come to pass.

Thats one good thing about the NW Jupiter. Plenty of curves! We're not tempted to open it up so often. I love the the tighter slow/mid speed stuff.
:cheers: Here's to a dry spring! LOL

Nooj
11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
My missus has seen 130mph on her Tuono with no ill effects, maybe all you 'big strong men' just aren't up to the job?
:kidding:
Ditch the ruck sack or what ever, that's what's doing it.

L8RG8R
11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Top speed on a deristricted Falco with standard 16/41 gearing is about 250km/h (155mph), or 240km/h (150mph) on shorter 15/41 gears. That's with less power than a T07. I rarely ride that fast, even though it's perfectly legal to do so on some unlimited stretches of highway here.

Not to thread jack, but this is my Falco last year. I went up 2 in the rear with a stock sprocket up front. Still had about 500rpm more, but I ran out of road. BTW, it was well planted the whole time. :burnout:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/el8rg8r/DSC04298.jpg

dougan
11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
how do you get a recording or your top speed...? I'd love to have that!!!

novos
11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
um....... all our bikes show vmax....

dude... :happy: :rolleyes: :blah:

TUONOAPE
11-28-2006, 04:24 AM
how do you get a recording or your top speed...? I'd love to have that!!!
dougan, really man you gotta read your manual, BTW the cops over here are onto it too, so we make sure we've got our trackday stories all ready!

TUONOAPE
11-28-2006, 04:46 AM
what's all this shit about wind turbualnce at high speed anyway. Your T07 is fitted with flat bars, not low mounted clipons, so the natural riding position is high.

As go modem go said, how often are you going to sit on 120+ for sustained periods on the road. If you are then why would you buy a tuono in the first place?

Of course if you love your Tuono but you want less air turbulance, then get a set of clipons OR buy an RSV! I've had both, but it's the Tuono that was bike of choice 9 out of 10 times.

Watcher1
11-28-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm with Tuonoape :cheers: It's a naked and that was our choise when we bought it !

TuonoTone
11-28-2006, 07:46 AM
I do loads of motorway work, and normall sit around the 120mph mark - going much faster will get me a jail term in the uk sooner or later :rolleyes:

The bike seems very stable when I have (rarely) taken it up to around 150.

One of the reasons I got the tuono rather than another bike was that I wanted a naked that could also give cars a run for their money on the motorway, but wouldn't do silly speeds.

On my gixxer (last bike) I was almost certainly going to be getting a stay at Her Magesty's pleasure.. or become a nasty smear down an armco.

Tone.

rdgarza
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I got similar turbulence on my mille r this past weekend. past 120 was downright scary but only on this one particular road. my jacket is a bit loose around the waist (i'm tall and thin) and i figured that had something to do with it. hearing someone else say that almost confirms it.

fnfalman
11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
what's all this shit about wind turbualnce at high speed anyway. Your T07 is fitted with flat bars, not low mounted clipons, so the natural riding position is high.

As go modem go said, how often are you going to sit on 120+ for sustained periods on the road. If you are then why would you buy a tuono in the first place?

Of course if you love your Tuono but you want less air turbulance, then get a set of clipons OR buy an RSV! I've had both, but it's the Tuono that was bike of choice 9 out of 10 times.

Maybe if you were to bother to read through the whole fucking thread instead of shooting off your mouth, huh?

When the fuck did I ever asked if I was bothered by turbulence?

I asked whether or not anybody received undued turbulence at 120+MPH. One day it was fine, the next day I got bad vibrations. So excuse the living shit out of me for trying to find out. And I found out what caused the turbulence, btw, if you had bothered to even read the fucking posts at all.

Frankly why the fuck is this thread still going on with people yapping about me complaining about turbulence is beyond me.

If I were to worry about fucking turbulence and wind drag, do you think that I would have bought this Tuono not to mention don't even bother to put on an aftermarket fly screen? Much less taking it on a long road trip?

English comprehension, do you know it?

novos
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
profanities must be highly cathartic.

chameleon672
11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
I think someone needs a nap.

TUONOAPE
11-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Oops, looks like I've done it again (you'd think I'd have learnt by now).

That norwegian
11-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Guess someone forgot this one: :soap:

Yep Ape...you should have learned by now :rolleyes:

mrgadway
11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow ...what a jack arse ! Waaay grump ! :bond: Getting back to the topic at hand...I found when I zip my riding pants into my jacket I get a MUCH smoother high speed ride. I guess it must keep the air flow from going thru my jacket and exiting out the back and ballooning up. I can't wait to try the "skidmarks" windshield ..it should be here today even if the temp this am was 4 F !

Beverz
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
This is some funny shit:devil:

TUONOAPE
12-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Guess someone forgot this one: :soap:

Yep Ape...you should have learned by now :rolleyes:
yep, I think I need slapping - feel free anyone :)

T06
12-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Consider yourself the bitch.:cheers:

The Dr.Jon
12-02-2006, 04:52 AM
My missus has seen 130mph on her Tuono with no ill effects, maybe all you 'big strong men' just aren't up to the job?
:kidding:
Ditch the ruck sack or what ever, that's what's doing it.

Aswell as ditching the backpack/gymbag, Nooj does have a point in his joke about his Mrs.
Often people grip the bars tighter at high speed, as a natural response to hang on in the extra turbulance and to counter the forces of accelerartion coupled with a rush of adrenaline. This tighter grip will transfer any movement in the tyres and forks to the bike causing vibration and in extreme cases weave. Relaxing consciously in the shoulders and arms and easing the grip will help immeasurably.

T06
12-02-2006, 05:04 AM
....condescending comes to mind, keep it clean at least!

The Dr.Jon
12-02-2006, 05:11 AM
....condescending comes to mind

Well I do ride the superior 'got it right first time' modern-classic Tuono!:burnout:

However, holding on too tight is a prime problem for many and a simple fix, but then you already knew that.:rolleyes:

splatty
12-02-2006, 06:36 AM
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY APE. :)

Personally I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. Over 120 on my beast, I don't tend to pay much attention to the clocks, just the world rushing by ! :cheers:

spectda
12-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Aswell as ditching the backpack/gymbag, Nooj does have a point in his joke about his Mrs.
Often people grip the bars tighter at high speed, as a natural response to hang on in the extra turbulance and to counter the forces of accelerartion coupled with a rush of adrenaline. This tighter grip will transfer any movement in the tyres and forks to the bike causing vibration and in extreme cases weave. Relaxing consciously in the shoulders and arms and easing the grip will help immeasurably.

That makes a lot of sense actually.

TUONOAPE
12-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Consider yourself the bitch.:cheers:
OK, I'm willing to take one for the team this time, but that's it

chrisscaines
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I hit 150 this weekend. No problem.

The Dr.Jon
12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I hit 150 this weekend. No problem.

Aye, it's a canny game darts!:rolleyes: