PDA

View Full Version : Seats

09-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Mille and the Tuono seats?

Does model year matter?

Are they all interchangable?

Thanks,
Michael

cornercarver
09-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Seats before '01 are different. An earlier seat will fit onto a later model, but it doesn't fit quite correctly. There is a gap up front on the sides. Later seats will not fit on early models.

'01, '02, and '03 models share a common seat, and Mille and Tuono seats are the same although the Tuono R model had a different color.

I have no idea what is on the '04 models, but it seems likely that the seat wuold change shape.

I didn't actually verify part numbers, but I've moved seats from an '02 Mille to an '03 Tuono.

Rear seats changed in '03, so they are incompatible to '01 and '02 models.

--sam

09-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you Sam.

This explains why Corbin says they don't make one for the Tuono.

Hello Sargent....

M

cornercarver
09-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Yeah, Corbin never made a seat for models after '00.5. I had one of the old seats on my '02 Mille, and it fit, but didn't look great. I actually found the Corbin quite a bit more comfy than the Sargent, as it has a contoured seat 'bucket' which distributed weight nicely. It was harder to move around on when riding aggressively and hanging off, though.

--sam

09-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Sam,

As I mentioned on another post, the seat on the Tuono feels slanted toward the tank. Being on the short side (5'-7"), I find my 'parts' being trust into the tank and I'm forever trying to shifting to reseat my rear to the rear. This also puts unecessary pressure on the hands/wrists. I was hoping to find some resolution with an aftermarket seat.

The pictures of the Tuono seat on the sargent site look as though the seat is more flat (slightly higher near the tank?). It may be the solution but I'd hate to spend $250.00 to find out it's no better.

Any opinions or ideas?

Michael

cornercarver
09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 525

Any opinions or ideas?

Michael

I believe that Sargent have some kind of satisfaction guarantee. If it sucks, they'll take it back. It should be pretty easy to sell around here, regardless. Personally, I've never noticed any tendency to slide to the front on the Sargent seat.

--sam

scabbard7
09-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Get the Sargent. I just took my first trip on this seat last weekend, 1200 mi. in three days. It's so good you just don't even think about the seat or your ass. Best seat I've had on a motorcycle.

rainh8r
09-19-2003, 04:19 PM
I've had my Sargent on the Tuono now for about 3500 miles and find it's way better than the stock seat but not as good as the Corbin I had on my TL 1000. It stops the slide into the tank very well but is harder than the Corbin was. I would not consider the stock seat again, esp. after back-to-back 12 hour days without pain or problem. No doubt that it's the best alternative available.

ApexMolester
09-19-2003, 07:43 PM
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/mayercycle.html

this guy has made many seats for me on the oem seat pans.

just take a look at the ktm seat....my yz426f s-motard will have the same look but in black. rick is also going to do my tuono. every fz1 was done by rick and they are AWESOME!!

there is nothing better then a rick mayer seat!

IMO

008man
09-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Apexmolester, I would like to see what your sadle looks like when you get it back from RMS. Could you please post pics? Also, what is your height and weight? I am 6'2" and only 160lbs skinny with no padding in the butt. I always have problems with comfort, and have tried a Corbin seat (86 GSXR1000), and it was worse than stock. I was thinking of the Sargent's seat, but now you have provided another alternative I was unaware of! Thanks!

008man
09-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Sargents quick release pins/hardware for the RSV/Tuon? I saw a Sargents seat on ebay and the lister mentioned these. He liked them so much, he was keeping them while selling the seat. Anything to make it less of a hassel to remove the seat (and lessen the chance of spinnig the rivetnut) would be great! This might be a great add on even if you don't use their seat.

scabbard7
09-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Yes, I use the quick release pins with my Sargent seat. They are very handy, and I would hate to go back to the bolts (which is not an option, after having to drill out the threads).

cornercarver
09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Incidentally, Rick Mayer will happily build a completely custom seat for you, while you wait, if you ride into his shop. You get the advantage of being able to take material off of places where you don't like it and build it up where you do, and his shop is located right in the heart of some of the best riding in northern California.

I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't arrange a group buy where some of us norcal riders head to Redding on a Friday evening (slab it), get seats made on Saturday, and ride some phenomenal roads on the way home on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. We'd just need interest from 3-4 people.

It is, unfortunately, getting kind of late in the season to do such a thing, as days are getting shorter. We could try to see if Rick can squeeze us in, but he is usually booked out a ways for weekend ride-in appointments. We need to find out just how many seats he can do by early afternoon on a Satuday, too. I imagine he could churn them out quite quickly since they are all the same.

For those that may be interested, the guy who made my custom molded attenuating earplugs is in Redding, too (a good friend of Rick's, in fact), so we could get molds made for custom speakers and get custom earplugs made on the spot. If memory serves, he charges $40 for custom plugs (which work SO MUCH better than foam ones and are more comfortable to boot) and under $200 for custom ear-speakers built into a plug.

More to the point, however, is that I don't often get a chance to run roads like 96, 3, 36, 299, etc, so any excuse will do for me. Unfortunately, te seat I need the Rick Mayer treatment on is my Beamer, so I wouldn't be on an Aprilia myself.

--sam

theImmoralist
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
I was planning on getting a Sergeant seat for my Tuono, as I hadn't previously heard of Rick Mayer seats.

Looking at the pictures, the Rick Mayer seats certainly look comfortable, but they don't look appropriate for a sport bike, where you may be moving side to side across the seat.

Can he make seats that are flatter and less "craddled?"

I generally find Apex Molester to know his m/c gear, so if he likes them, they're probably good, but I would be curious to see pictures of seats that aren't so, ahem, "form-fitted."

ApexMolester
09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
i found it very easy to track-ride a rick mayer seat. i to thought they may look out of place on a race-rep, but you'll get use to it.

also, it's the butt that gets the final word and i can ride 4X on a mayer set over any POS corbin. you may find that the crown'd seat alllows one to transfer their weight from left without issue.

rick will build a seat just for you, to your specs and will rework until your happy. you can mail him your seat, or as i do, dive up and have in done on the spot in 3-hours. the big $ item is the gel-foam at $$$/sq/ft.

if your leathers are sticking, a little honda polish goes a long way (like a track weekend).

cornercarver
09-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Can he make seats that are flatter and less "craddled?"

He can make a seat however you sak for it. His expertise, however, is in making a cradling seat that will be comfortable for many hundreds of miles in a day. Once you remove the cradle from the seat, you wind up with a seat that is much like a Sargent. You can leave a bit of a dish in the seat, and still have it be easy enough to move around on. It is a compromise, to be sure, but my Corbin seat was slightly dished and I never had any problems with it at the track, whichis where I do most of my 'hanging off.' The Sargent is almost dead flat, which is definitely a compromise away from comfort. Rick Mayr uses the same medical foam that is used in those amazingly expensive hospital beds. I don't know what Sargent uses, but it feels pretty comparable.

Personally, I would go with a Sargent unless I had the time and inclination to ride to Rick Mayer and have him build a completely custom seat to my specification, in which case, the Mayeris definitely the better choice.

For those who live in SoCal, Rocky Mayer, Rick's brother, is in Ojai and he makes very similar seats. Their dad was the original seat maker in the family. There is some kind of bad blood between the two brothers that I don't know much about, but I've sat on both Rick and Rocky Mayer saddles and they are similar in design and comfort (and looks).

--sam

ApexMolester
09-22-2003, 03:37 PM
got that right sam!

i don't ask and don't care. both are excelent seat builders.

i sent my sargent back, to me it was no different then the stock seat.

09-22-2003, 04:03 PM
I did a quick web search for Rocky Mayer in Ojai but nothing comes up. Does anyone know how he is listed?

Thanks.

Michael

cornercarver
09-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 525
I did a quick web search for Rocky Mayer in Ojai but nothing comes up. Does anyone know how he is listed?

Sorry, Rocky is a nickname.

http://billmayersaddles.com/

--sam

theImmoralist
09-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback on the RM seats. I rode about 400 miles on the Tuono yesterday down by Hwy 25 and environs and my butt is telling me to get a new seat. I may try to set up an appointment and ride up to Rick Mayer if it works out. If I do, I'll be sure to post pics. Otherwise, I will just get a Sargent and see if it is an improvement.

cornercarver
09-22-2003, 07:32 PM
The Sargent is, without question, an improvement. A significant one. The RMS saddle will likely be better, but may or may not make things a bit more awkward when riding aggressively, depending upon style.

--sam

lky_k9
09-22-2003, 07:45 PM
I know, it's not a Tuono; but I have a Falco and recently got a Sargent seat for it. Major improvement in comfort and actually improves the looks also.

The finish is very nice...like a carbon fiber base! It raises the seat height maybe 1/2" and makes the overall seating position slightly more level. I've found that it is very easy to slide over on the seat when the "corners require it".

I previously had a BMW R1100S Boxer Cup which had THE WORST stock seat I've ever sat on. I got an after market seat and never regreted it. Same story hear; stock seat = 1 hour and butt hurts; Sargent = 2.5 hours and I wasn't even thinking about having to move around so my butt didn't hurt.

Go for the Sargent; best $250 I've spent and I've spent a lot on my "scoot".

steve

10-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Received my new Sargent seat last Friday. Put about 100 miles on it over the week end.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (where 5 = MUCH better comfort than stock, 1 = MUCH worse comfort than stock and 3 = the same comfort as stock) I give it a 4 1/2.

Fit and finish are very good and the carbon tech seat pan is really trick looking, though you donít get to see this to appreciate it unless the seat is off. Itís a keeper and cost/benefit is better than average as bike goodies go, though I was hoping for a clear Ď5í on my rating scale. To be fair, I canít say how it could be improved upon aside from a better price.

KDub
04-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I received my Sargent seat (all black, CarbonFX) last week but wanted put some work commute miles and a couple of weekends on it. After almost 100 miles on FM455 today I could've doubled back no problem. The bad pressure points are gone and my ass is much better for it. I won't be going back to the stock seat ever.

I was a bit doubtful but it does actually have good support. You're not going to be able to determine anything about that from the images on the website because it did look flat like the stock seat. When you feel around on it and compare or actually use it you realize is has a nice shape and compresses just concave enough to make a noticable difference without making it feel as though you're sitting in a bucket.

It's pricey but it's totally worth it. I was even considering trying to save some money reshaping mine myself and, luckily, I got suddenly lazy. It's not a motocross seat we're dealing with here. The whole seat industry is like this: they do alot of homework to make alot of slight changes to get some drastic results and then if it's good, they charge you.

Exdukenut
04-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Why don't you get a peice of sheepskin, and throw it over the top of the current seat. They cost $Aus40. You can see them at www.sheepyhoolow.com. They add some softness to the semi-hard seat. Excellent for touring, and are easily removable for those occassional track days. Check them out, as it's a very inexpensive solution! I've been using them for years, and can be easily moved to another bike at anytime, as they have a universal nature, for most modern sport bikes.

:cool:

KDub
04-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Why don't you get a peice of sheepskin, and throw it over the top of the current seat.

That would probably work for alot of people but I took the plunge more with idea of getting the overall shape changed. I also wouldn't want to deal with any more seat height.

Exdukenut
04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
That would probably work for alot of people but I took the plunge more with idea of getting the overall shape changed. I also wouldn't want to deal with any more seat height.

It adds maybe 5mm amximum, as it squashes down. But if you've gone seat shape change that's cool. But for those that don't want the expense of that, and just want a bit mor comfort, the sheepskin cover is a cheap alternative.

:cool:

GregBenner
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
I got a Sargent last fall. It was better than stock, but, to me, not that much better. I sent it back, they accepted it with NO hassle.

I am getting a Mayer on my GS in a couple weeks (Bill in Ojai). If it is as good as i expext, I'll have him make one for the T.

prillernut
04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey Apex - like 008man said, when you get your RMS saddle on your Tuono, I'd be very interested to see how it looks and how you like it -

I'm getting ready to head home from work right now on my Kaw Concours - I've got one of Rick's saddles on it, and it has made all the difference in the world! I did a trip to Daytona and back for Bikeweek, and the trip was great - totally painless - there's no way I could have done that on the stock seat, and what "hanging off" can be done on the Connie is no problem. I've been curious how one of his seats would work on the Tuono...

thunderex
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM
i really like the sargent seat. i don't know why people are resistant to it. the seat is a little more scooped out than it will appear in pictures because the leather doesn't seem as glued to the foam. mine's VERY comfortable. but i didn't have that much of an issue with the stock one either.

The Dr.Jon
04-19-2005, 03:22 AM
For UK riders there is a budget option for touring. Check out the gel seat pad from M&P.

BDMF
04-19-2005, 08:34 AM
If anybody is seriously interested in setting up a group buy from either Rick or Bill Mayer, count me in. They both make excellent products. I personally prefer Bill's stuff, but Rick is a little cheaper I think.

So, any chance there's a group buy in the works????