PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia options : heating handgrips

octopus_nine
11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Hello everybody !

Did any of you purchased the heating handgrips from aprillia ?
do they work correctly ?
Do you control them with the onboard computer ?

Thanx for your answers !

CeeBeeA
11-13-2006, 03:27 AM
My dealer told me not to buy the Aprilia heated grips as they are badly made and keep going wrong and take forever to obtain from Aprilia.

The dealer also had to replace one set of Aprilia grips (for another customer) recently with a set of Oxford grips as he said they seem to be more reliable.

I do not know any other manufacturers of heated grips other than Oxford Products. My experience of their stuff in the past is pretty average at best. I DO know their battery chargers (Oximisers/Maximisers) are completely hopeless as I've had three of them and all the connectors broke within months and then the chargers all stopped working altogether after about a year. Just long enough to be out of warranty but not long enough to get through a couple of winters !!

Hope this helps

Panda
11-13-2006, 05:05 AM
I don't think they'll work through the computer - they are on the Caponord accessories list but not on the Pegaso page on the parts ordering site.
I haven't sold any Aprilia hot grips, but I've sold hundreds of the Oxford ones and rarely have a problem. Just bear in mind they will make your hand grips bigger which might be a nuisance if you've got wee hands!

octopus_nine
11-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your quick answers lads !! :)

I think the handsgrips are specific for the strada since it's specified in the user manual that you have a special indicator on the dashboard for that (and menu settings)...
It seems they're different from the Caponord ones ... but However I didn't saw them in the aprilia accessories pdf doc.
So, any of you have heard or tried the Strada specific ones ?

Panda
11-13-2006, 11:02 AM
The only mention I've seen of them is the handbook so far. Aprilia haven't put anything on the Pegaso accessories pages that dealers order from yet, so if anyone has tried Aprilia ones they won't be the specific ones they mention in the hand book.

The light on the dash (next to the sidestand and neutral lights) has been replaced with one for an ABS system too.

octopus_nine
11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
The only mention I've seen of them is the handbook so far. Aprilia haven't put anything on the Pegaso accessories pages that dealers order from yet, so if anyone has tried Aprilia ones they won't be the specific ones they mention in the hand book.

The light on the dash (next to the sidestand and neutral lights) has been replaced with one for an ABS system too.

Thanks for your answer !

me too I only saw that in the user's manual not in the accessories pdf...

Sorry but the dash indicator has both ABS and Heating grips lights !!

that's why I'm wondering ....

Panda
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=octopus_nine]
[QUOTE]
Eh? I've just looked at 3 bikes and non of them have a light that I can see?

octopus_nine
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=octopus_nine]
[QUOTE]
Eh? I've just looked at 3 bikes and non of them have a light that I can see?

If you don't have the grips installed , you can only see this light when you turn the key on for a few seconds ...

My pegaso strada is year 2006 model ...

Panda
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Where abouts is the grips light?!

There are three lights in the top bit - neutral, side stand and ABS, then 4 by the rev counter, fuel, immbilizer, indicators, main beam...

There's only 2 dash part numbers - one trail, one strada, so year shouldn't make a difference.

Confused!

octopus_nine
11-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Here is what I'm talking about !

7) sidestand light
8) ABS light (option)
9) Heating handgrips light (option)

don't you have the same Panda ??

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5425/cimg8993qh2.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg8993qh2.jpg)

Panda
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Aha!

The light is in the handbook but not on the bike!!!

(The new RS50 has a bit in the handbook about the temperature gauge, complete with pictures, but the RS50 doesn't have a temp gauge...)

octopus_nine
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Aha!

The light is in the handbook but not on the bike!!!

(The new RS50 has a bit in the handbook about the temperature gauge, complete with pictures, but the RS50 doesn't have a temp gauge...)

Hey ! I'm sorry but I do HAVE this light on my strada !!
we're in the twilight zone!!!! bzzzz

Panda
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Really?!

You're not drunk or anything are you?

You'll be claiming a 120mph+ top speed next...

You can't buy them yet anyway!

g-man
11-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Just checked mine too. If you look real close at the dash it has the heated grips symbol as per the pic, but it doesn't light up when ignition is on.

pegasobaz
11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
the best heated grips i've used were hein gericke ones, they cost about 50 but were really thin and had silver wiring (very flexible) so there wasn't the need for yards of spare cable on the throttle! Had them fitted to my bandit 12 but found that top of hands still get v cold so i'll probably get some klan heated inner gloves instead+handguards when i find some that fit well (i'm considering some KTM ones at moment) Does anybody know of a model of the strada? could you pull some strings Panda?

Panda
11-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Strange! Of the three bikes here, not one has that light. The Aprilia workshop manuals for the 05 and 06 bikes are exactly the same and both have the light on the dash and the relevant pin on the dash connector.

Baz, there's heaps of postings about handguards on here, but basically BMW ones fit well but don't look very exciting, most others will fit more or less if you have some spare mechano and the Aprilia ones fit the best and look the best (in my opinion) but are expensive and so far as rare as rocking horse sht.

g-man
11-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Strange! Of the three bikes here, not one has that light. The Aprilia workshop manuals for the 05 and 06 bikes are exactly the same and both have the light on the dash and the relevant pin on the dash connector.

I had to shine a torch right onto the dash to make it out. It's like it has the symbol cut out for the light to shine through, but i dont think there's an led or bulb behind it.

Panda
11-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Bloody hell! Right enough! How on earth did anyone see that! I've emailed to find out if there's any sign of them, but can I just point out the Caponord ones are 116 plus VAT?!

octopus_nine
11-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Just checked mine too. If you look real close at the dash it has the heated grips symbol as per the pic, but it doesn't light up when ignition is on.

Yes that's what I meant too....

I'm just wondering now if they will be avaible and when ...