Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Moldy old photos

More Mold

Naimchase, you inspired me to open my photo archive and dredge up some of my early motorcycle history.

First bike was a 1971 Kawasaki Mach III 500 with chambers. We ran in packs. That's me on the left end. That's when I had hair, Beau.

Next is a 1971 Honda CB350 cafe racer. Had some HRC parts in the motor that I got from Tetsuyo (Mike) Hishiki, Japanese 350GP champ in the 70's.

1975 RD350, with 1978 RD400 running gear.

1974 Kawasaki Z1-A (with '73 paint). Early, light modifications

Fast forward 10 years to the black Z-1. Same bike, extensive mods with pieces from all versions of Z-1 (GPZ1100 crank, trans, FI head; ELR seat and tail section; Mk II tank; Z1-R side covers). Still a wobbling POS with 122 RWHP.

1978 Yamaha XS750 Triple (Cripple). Big-Bore motor, porting, cams, Mikunis, wide rims. Love the way the rear jacked up and down under throttle.

Green bike is a Sandy Kosman racing Z-1 that I wish had been mine. Circa 1983 Laguna.

Last is a 1993 Yamaha FJ1200 that I still have.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by derbybrit1; 11-19-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    That is one fine batch of moldy old photos. Thanks for the effort.

The buddy on the ground in post #33 had a Kaw 750 motor in an H1R frame. It was sitting with a tweaked frame when he died. I bought it from his brother with the intention of restoration, but sold it 20 years later. He also had some Yam 750 triples with nice mods.

That CB350 is a jewel. I could get really excited about that one. Is it long gone?

Yam RDs. How many of us learned our lessons on them?

Great post.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

Great Photos Marc! I love that first shot. The FJ in the last photo is one sorted bike. I have ridden it. R1 fork and swinger? Check out the clean R1 pipe hanger/foot rest for the Akra!

That is one fine batch of moldy old photos. Thanks for the effort.

I've got some more '83-'86 Laguna pit pix

The buddy on the ground in post #33 had a Kaw 750 motor in an H1R frame.

I had an H2 motor in my H1 chassis. Another wheelying wobbler.

He also had some Yam 750 triples with nice mods.

In retrospect, not worth the trouble.

That CB350 is a jewel. I could get really excited about that one. Is it long gone?

Waaay long gone. I crashed it at Ontario Motor Speedway in turn 19 hairpin coming onto the front straight. Somebody laid down oil at the exit. It was not mortally wounded, but the fiberglass needed some attention. That bike ripped fairly well...motored past a built CB400F down the front straightaway. That guy never talked to me again.

Yam RDs. How many of us learned our lessons on them?

R5, RD350, RD400. They were all great. I'm still looking for a ring-dinger for the stable. A clean RD400 would be fine, or anything liquid cooled. (Except Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo)

Great post.

Outstanding pics gentlmen.....really great to see these. This was a great idea for a thread as I can already start to see some common path lines.
    Looks like those of us that survived the 2 strokes still have a real love for them too, even though we all seem to have lost friends on them. The acceleration of those engines FAR exceeded the frame design at the time & I don't think a lot of the younger riders realise just how badly those things handled. This all might make them feel better next time they get rounded up in the twisties by a 50 + year old knowing we learnt the HARD way(I've still go the visiable scares showing from them )

Another thing in common naimchase & a bike I road 1/2 way across Aussie before it dropped the top off a piston. (XS650 Yam engines do that at the oil ring)....Boy it felt like I'd ridden it further every time I rode it. TOOOO old for ridgids now !

Scary, did you make those controls and fork brace? Beautiful.

I made a few fork braces, too. As you well know, they were a necessity.
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-20-2006 at 01:16 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Me (on the left) and my bro waiting for my parents to wake up so that we could ride. If you look close enough, you can see that there is a chain wrapped through the bikes...didn't matter. Somehow we always seemed to make enough noise 'accidentally' to wake them up early.

1970 Honda SL70 camping in West Branch, MI probably in 1978
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

The Pontificating Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    I just found one by chance on the computer

Ugly old git innit.

It raced at the Bol D'or but I can't remember the year.

Confederate battle flag.......................hee hee. Neat.
    2003 Aprilia Falco SL1000R
    2007 Mazda3 Five Door
    1991 Ford Mustang GT
    1968 Mustang Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by angrybob
    .........Me (on the left) and my bro waiting for my parents to wake up so that we could ride. If you look close enough, you can see that there is a chain wrapped through the bikes...didn't matter. Somehow we always seemed to make enough noise 'accidentally' to wake them up early...........
    We really, really love this stuff, donít we? How could it hook us so early and keep us so long? What gene do we have that makes us so susceptible?
    The Pontificating Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by naimchase
    Yes its my dirty little secret. DAMN!

Funny you mention the duration in time that we ride. I have been heavy into other sports - hunting, fishing, etc. - yet riding bikes has been the only one to stay a full time interest since the tender age of seven.
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

I love this thread. Man I GOTTA get over to my mom's and find the old scrapbooks, there's some real gems (turds) in there.
    My CT175 Yamaha motocross racer with the lowered frame.
    My Kawasaki Bighorn dirt trackers.
    My SL350 cafe racer.
    My BSA 441 victim.
    My various Norton Comando's, 5 or 6 including my Dunstall 750 (twin discs!) and my open superstreet club racer that won a lot. (and broke a lot)
    My YDS3 Yamaha, worst handling bike ever, except for my 350cc Kawasaki Samuari, (rotary valve twin) that was worse.

I'll get to it............
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
    .........I'll get to it............
    Well............!
    The Pontificating Poodle

More Mold

An action shot of the 1978 Yamaha Excessive-Eleven (XS11). Post-Laguna 1985 road trip up to Mt. Lassen. Now that is a sexy Supertrapp pipe! I'm still using those Chase Harper soft saddle bags.

Just found another one. 1981 Yamaha 750 Seca, with 820cc kit, 29mm smoothbores, Spec II pipe.

Lots of bikes I have no pictures for. 1972 H2 Kawasaki; 1975 Honda 750 SuperSport; 1969 Yamaha TD-2/DS7 racer; 1980 Honda CB750F; 1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J; 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550. Dirt bikes included 1974 YZ250 (first monoshock); 1975 Yamaha TT500; 1978? CR450; 1980 Yamaha YZ400; 1985 Yamaha TT600; 1983 Honda XR500; 1974 XL350; 1984 Honda XL650R; 1985 Honda XL350R (still got it)
    Last edited by derbybrit1; 11-20-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derbybrit1
    An action shot of the 1978 Yamaha Excessive-Eleven (XS11). Post-Laguna 1985 road trip up to Mt. Lassen. ...........
    Lassen! My sister lives in Shingletown, 15 miles away. My brother-in-law has my old ’85 Nighthawk 700S, and rides it up there. I had the Tuono there in ’03 on the way to Laguna.

Small world. - Connections.
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-20-2006 at 02:25 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast