Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Moldy old photos

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    Scary, that is one badass MkII. Those bikes are beyond rare today. I see more ELR's for sale.
    That bike is better looking than a KZ, J model or the Z1-R!
    I'd give my left nut for one of those...

I'm kinda glad u like her, as she was one of my favourites & she looked after me too, we crashed together at least 4 times that I can remember. Found the pic of the track de-rake job that happened in between the 1st pic where the clown ran a 'T' intersection(bit of a story in that crash but not for the forum me thinks) & the 2nd pic of her in her last incarnation/rebuild.
    No way we can rebuilt the modern bikes that many times A !
    Just before these two pics here, a mate & I built & fitted a GPZ1100 B1-B2 engine to her, & braced the frame & added a NZ made McIntosh swingarm........ lightened/welded crank, daytona cams & head work, bored out & modded lawson carbs, dyna ignition, low ohm coils. Went real hard, it would two wheel drift outta the speed bowl onto the straight at Adelaide Sth.Aussies International raceway(shop & track days of course went on then too), minor over sight on my part & pretty common in those days......COULDN"T PULL IT"S HEAVY BUTT UP !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Scary; 11-14-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Can't beleive what we used to do on those skinny rims with Pirelli Phontom Silver dot tryes lots of fun!...Here's some more friends bikes & pitt shots from then.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Scary; 11-14-2006 at 01:51 AM.

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbigoney
    My first ride. Clasic Montgomery Wards "Riverside" 125 by Benelli I think.
    Did anyone have an Allstate Compact? They were sooo CUTE! (made by Puch, I think)

An early pre-bike memory is of riding in the car with my father at age 14 or so. It started to rain, and I saw an Allstate Compact go by. I said: “Daddy, I don’t think I’ll ever want a motorcycle”.

I must have changed my mind.

A cheater photo from a website:
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

Quote Originally Posted by Scary
    COULDN"T PULL IT"S HEAVY BUTT UP !!!:.....
    Scary, it looks like you spent a lot of time wrestling the big monsters. After I blew up my 812 Daytona Honda, I went to the middleweight two-strokes. There was the occasional endurance ride on a big bike, though.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Here's one from Norway on the E6 (european highway 6) from the early eighties.That's a 1977 Silver Jubilee Bonneville believe it or not.

and another,

and relaxing after a long day in the saddle.

FUCK THE MAGS

Never live the same day twice. (My wife nearly pissed her self laughing when she read my signature line, because she reckons she has never met anyone in the whole of her life who hates change more than me) She does have a point .

naimchase I have some photos of a Goldwing endurance racer which an old mate owns and uses on the road.If I can dig them out I'll scan them and post them on here in the next few days.
    FUCK THE MAGS

Never live the same day twice. (My wife nearly pissed her self laughing when she read my signature line, because she reckons she has never met anyone in the whole of her life who hates change more than me) She does have a point .

Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Here's one from Norway on the E6 (european highway 6) from the early eighties.That's a 1977 Silver Jubilee Bonneville believe it or not.
    ........and relaxing after a long day in the saddle........
    Good Grief! E6 goes over the top of Norway to the Barents Sea. Did you ride that thing over the top? That would be a couple thousand miles from Oslo. Great adventure!

Looking forward to those Goldwing pics. I borrowed a buddy's old wing in '78, put low bars on it, and rode it from San Diego to China Lake where I was working. That big old thing treated me pretty well.
    The Pontificating Poodle

I didn't go to Russia I went to North Cape, the most northerly road in Europe. Home of the midnight sun (or when I was there the midnight snow).
    FUCK THE MAGS

Did the Bonnie treat you well?
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-16-2006 at 01:32 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

It's a Triumph, what do you think.

The primary chain ate the wire from the genarator (if that's what it was called) so I did 2000 miles on a fully charged tractor battery I put in one of the panniers. It was 2 weeks before mid-summers day so I didn't need lights and with no electric start fitted the battery lasted 2 weeks before it needed a recharge.

Oh yeah, just remembered when I used the airhorns the engine would die.

Apart from that it ran like a Swiss watch.

The photos will have to wait as my scanner doesn't exist according to my computer.
    Last edited by FTM; 11-16-2006 at 03:04 PM.
    FUCK THE MAGS

Drt Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Drt Boy
    Damn, my old scanner won't work with the new 'puter; gonna hafta get a scanner so I can contribute more pictures. ...............DB
    DB, you're older than I am. You must have some great pics. If you don't get a scanner working soon, I'll send you one. Or scan 'em for you.

I needed a new bike for a long trip with two buddies, as my newest was a 16-yr-old 1000 Hurricane. My wife said: "Go buy a new one. That old one will hurt you or at least ruin the trip." She drove me to the dealer in her Mini, I rode a Tuono, and bought it that day.
    The Pontificating Poodle

I just found one by chance on the computer

Ugly old git innit.

It raced at the Bol D'or but I can't remember the year.
    FUCK THE MAGS

Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Ugly old git innit.

It raced at the Bol D'or but I can't remember the year.
    Now THAT is unusual.

I like it. Thanks for that one.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Make It Yourself

Sometimes we just can’t buy what we want. If we are lucky, we can do something about it.

In a former life, I was involved in engineering. I had after-hours access to a machine shop for about 10 years.

I had a pair of Kimtab Snowflake magnesium wheels on the ’69 sandcast CB750 (812 Yosh Daytona) shown above. They came with no shock hub at all, which was rough on the drive train and felt harsh. Kimtab later offered a sprocket carrier with rubber washers, which was a miserable failure. In 1976, I decided to make one.

Most 5/8 (530) chains were inadequate for the new horsepower and speeds, so Kawasaki used a ¾ (630) on the Z1. A conversion countershaft sprocket was available for the CB750, so I incorporated a Z1 rear in the design.

The photos were taken with a Polaroid SX-70. They show the parts and assembly before and after I black anodized them (myself). There is a sprocket carrier with bearing, a drive finger ring on the other side of the sprocket, and the can that bolts to the wheel into which the fingers fit. The can is scalloped to fit around the fluted hub. Urethane rubber was cast into the can with the fingers in place to provide cushion forward and reverse. In the pictures, the assembly is supported by a rubber stamp, the handle of which seems to protrude from the part. The can had stainless inserts for the through bolts that held the whole wheel/hub together.

This was before the day of commonly available CAD/CAM. We had NC, not CNC. I measured with a caliper, drew on paper, calculated every point with trig tables, and calculated the tool offset path with trig. I punched paper tape on a Teletype until it was right. I made lots of chips for several nights.

Most of us love motorcycles. Some of us are just crazy.

I am sure others have made precious parts for their loved ones. With his background, I bet LUCKY DAVE has made some really neat stuff. Scary must have done some stuff, and others. Let’s see some pics or at least hear stories.

The finger ring before turning in a lathe:

Last edited by naimchase; 11-19-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast