Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Moldy old photos

" There not handlebars !!!.......These are handlebars ! ". & an extra from the early days.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary
    ........so there was many a sheep farmer that hated these because "Alledgedly" people would cut hunks of wire outta there fences to hold them on to get home all the time. ...so I hear anyway !...............

" There not handlebars !!!.......These are handlebars ! ". & an extra from the early days.
    COOL STUFF. We all have a past. Some paths are more crooked than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by naimchase
    We all got to Aprilias somehow. What influenced you?
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-09-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

apriliaforum expert bicilindricov60's Avatar
    Magnolia Springs, TEXAS Officially THE Boondocks Nowhere near you Several twisties and a hop skip and a jump through the forest
    Quote Originally Posted by naimchase
    COOL STUFF. We all have a past. Some paths are more crooked than others.
    We all got to Aprilias somehow. What influenced you?
    Couldn't find a used bike for sale within NADA values(most sportbikes sell for around 7000,but nada is around 4500). Found a falco in the local online classifieds and researched it, seemed nice. The falco has no NADA value so the credit union said that all I had to do was get an estimate of average retail used from a dealer. Called AF1 and they faxed in the estimated value, and I recieved a loan. Saw bike in person and ejaculated in my pants and then once again when I saw the ohlins rear shock and then again when the rubber made love to the asphalt and the symphony of the twin was in full chorus. The rest is history.

That is how I ended up on the priller naimchase. YOU ASKED
    Jeremy
    2001 Falco
    another 2001 Falco
    KTM LC4 400

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    I don't have any pics of my own, but I found this one - exactly my first bike. A 1969 Suzuki 350 Rebel. It was only 315cc and 39hp but I felt like king of the street on that thing.
    Last edited by Bill in OKC; 11-09-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    '02 RSVR '07 S4Rs '08 FXSTB '75 GT550 '74 H1 500 '71 CB750

My first ride. Clasic Montgomery Wards "Riverside" 125 by Benelli I think.
    Last edited by pbigoney; 05-23-2007 at 03:18 PM.

naimchase....Not wrong mate, u don't want to know how twisted a path it's been to get to my first Aprilia. I'll work though the years as I get a chance if people are interested in seeing things that don't get seen on this forum much. & there is a really good story about a world supa bike champ that I went to school with, there was only 5 of us in the whole school that learnt & went m/cycles back then.
    But I think some/quite a few in fact, of us could keep this thread going for the next couple of years eeeeeasy !
    My self taught learner bike was crashing into stuff on my Dad's(nicked while he wasn't looking) "Hoobie"(that was the Brand) scooter in the back yard while everyone was out or at work, the thing had a centrifical clutch & a pull start like a lawn mower on the side. The first time I got it going I ended up tangled in a barbed wire fence with it, took me ages to get outta that one.
    Then a Puch 150cc scooter that I used to go to school/college on.

& one for "jetfever" too, bit blurry, but I think this is the 450 Honda, was a red one before I crashed it & painted it with a spray can.

PS...that's the fence in question in the back ground of the Honda.....I'm starting to think you're right ! This may not be such a good idea, it's bringing back painful memories already & we haven't even got started yet.....!
    Last edited by Scary; 11-09-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Now we're cookin'. Keep those pics and stories comin'.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Damn, my old scanner won't work with the new 'puter; gonna hafta get a scanner so I can contribute more pictures.

What I can say is: after about 30 Japaneese bikes I walked into the dealership (where I work) and saw the new '03 Tuono R on the floor. It was love at first sight! All those lovely goodies on a "different" looking bike. That was Tuesday morning. By Friday I couldn't stand it anymore and went to the boss with my R1 title in hand. I said: "Ray, I've worked for you a long time and ask very few favors". I rode the Tuono home Saturday and knew half way there I made the right choice! 20,000 miles later I've still got the "Tuono Grin". This bike rocks! I even lucked into a totaled Tuono and picked it up for a track bike. I feel twiced blessed and loving it!!!

DB

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    Bring it on Scary-Thats what this thread is about.
    Give us a pic with each story, ok? lol

Oh, and those handlebars-that is scary.
    Last edited by Maxacceleration; 11-10-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Hoobie!

Thanks for the Honda 450. That was a great bike. A couple friends had Honda 500's. They were supposed to b faster. Maby, top end, but in a drag race the Torque form that twin ruled! A Hoobie?!

I'm really enjoying everyones input too, & are looking forward to seeing lots more. I've got bored with my own stuff over time/the years.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..

jetfever...No worries, I'm not 100% sure it's the '72 K5 or the 360 I had, only pic at present I can find. I treated the 450 like a hire car, let anyone ride it.......reliable as !
    Sorry, I spelt that scooter brand wrong....Hobbie or Hobby....14 year old kid then & can't tell u much more about it as I've never seen another since. But boy!!, do I remember not to blipp the throttle of a centrifical clutch fitted bike until u know where the brakes are & how to work them in a "PANIC" situation!!!!!!!!!! It's only funny now not when I was bleeding.

We could get a licence at 15 years old then & go out & jump on a Kawasaki 750 2 stroke pull your arms off widow maker, & NO helmet laws(not that there was any choice of helmet makers to get one from anyway ) .......Damn we crashed some 2 strokes back then. Makes u wonder now.
    .................................................. .................................................. .....

Here's my Norton,(one of several 750's & 850's I owned), getting a head job in my open air workshop..........WHAT ??? u didn't really think that ruffing up the steels in the clutch was a new idea for Aprilias only did u.
    Last edited by Scary; 11-10-2006 at 02:04 AM.

A Yamaha R5 with a disc brake? We got the 1972 R5 (piston port) with a drum brake, and the 1973 RD350 (reed valve) with a disc brake here in the US.

Gather 'round the campfire for more Scary stories.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Think and Ride

This was from a good day at Road Atlanta. 1981, WERA regional. Only club racing, but as far as most of us get. This was the day I learned how to think and ride at the same time. I ran slightly better times than usual in practice, and then hit a wall. No more improvement. Something had to give.

I parked the bike, pulled up a chair, and stared at it for an hour while thinking about everything I did on the track for a full lap. Everything went into the hopper for real-time processing.

Within 3 laps back on the track, I cut 4 seconds off my best time. I was able to think about what I was doing while I was doing it. From then on, everything was different.

My first race was 550 modified, one class above mine. I ran away and won easily.

The next race was the one pictured. It was two classes up, GP2 and I was running my 350 street modified. I got a great start for the lead, and only one really good rider on a hot 250 GP bike got me. So far, a first and a second.

I had a new flame sprayed front rotor that had lots of friction. My brakes were very good, but I had no idea about pad wear, as a set usually lasted several weekends.

The last was my class, the easiest. I took off, pulled out a good lead, and my brakes went away. Completely. No front brakes at all. Eight laps to go.

I discovered I could turn quite credible laps with no brakes. Everyone else was so intimidated that no one challenged. Two firsts and a second.

Being able to think while doing was the key. Before, I thought, and then rode hard. After, I could think while riding hard. This was the best thing I got out of racing.

Smell the wood burning?
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-11-2006 at 01:42 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Nice one mate.....looks like we're gunna be post whores here. Common gents ! we need some of yours tooooo .

naimchase....I think those two pics of mine are a little latter, maybe mid '70s, I think that was my '72 750 Norton & I have in my head DS7 & 250cc I think. But we used to crash a lot of RDs & use the parts on each others bikes that were useable still & take the rest to the dump/tip.....! wish I'd kept it all now.
    Here's a couple more outta context year wise(early 80's racing days) just to keep things going until I have a bit more time spare..........My MKII green street/race bike & another I de-racked for better TIP in handling.

*****Oppps !, hang on, that's before & after I repaired it by the look, I had heeps of these Z1000 MKII's, great bikes. but hard to keep track of all these pics I'm going though.*****

Not to meantion in that pic my mates very rare first fuel injected Z1000 Kawasaki, wish I had one of them in the shed right now, their first injected bike I think if my memory is working today !
    Last edited by Scary; 11-12-2006 at 06:41 PM.

The green one looks great.

The one on the right must have taken a special riding technique.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast