Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Moldy old photos

my first bike was a 92 is that old enough
    #1 Forum Mod Pisser-Offer

Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim!!!

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duc slayer
    my first bike was a 92 is that old enough
    No appreciation for old equipment?

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    This next picture has a long explanation.

We used to rent racetracks for very little money for a practice day. We had rented Roebling Road (Savannah) for a day in February of 79 or 80. It was just a handful of us amateurs with cabin fever and winter mods to test.

It was right before Daytona, and Jimmy Adamo had a new TZ750 he hadn’t ridden. He asked to join us to get familiar with it before going on down to Florida for Speed Week.

My buddy was losing his bout with Hodgkin’s Disease, and it was his last chance to ride on the track. I fixed up my Production RD350 so he could ride it with his bad leg.

Track day came cold and wet. We went out in 40 degree F mist and sprinkle because we needed it. There weren’t more than half a dozen on the track.

My buddy was circulating slowly but cleanly. He had been a great racer before the cancer ate him up. Adamo was understandably cautious with all that HP in the damp and cold. I was comfortable enough on my water-cooled RD350/TZ700 hybrid. Jimmy would squirt away on the straights and get in the way in the tight parts.

We came up behind my buddy between 5 and 6. The corner worker was running a motor drive SLR as we approached. Adamo made a bad move, cutting sharply across in front and hitting my buddy’s left bar with his tail section. Later inspection showed the hole punched by the clutch lever. This action twisted the bars and threw my buddy down right in front of me.

This shot shows the crash, but the next one that is lost shows my front wheel aimed directly at my buddy’s head 10 feet away, with daylight under my back tire. In the wet. There are even more sparks flying from my own spare bike, which is also right in front of me.

I missed everything, and my buddy wasn’t hurt much. That was his last track ride. Adamo was not very apologetic or gracious. I know he was well liked and supported, but this always colored my opinion of him.

I guess that's just racing.

Last edited by naimchase; 11-03-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

great thread

Looking for some pics of my Yellow '66 Honda trail 90, and my gold 1969 Honda 450, red 500, then 750 4. My Taco mini is in this thread... http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...highlight=taco

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    i used to have a honda dream 150, it was mint when it was sold a few years ago 350 miles on it
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Here is another pic of Freddies pit.
    The factory flair was intense then, but really small time compared to today.
    I have never gotten over how incredible those old superbikes were.

Traveling in the early 80's with my girlfriend (now wife). CB900F and our sweet little '76 CB400F, we're on our way to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

DB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know there is anonymity - to a point - on this forum. But threads like this make me feel as though I am regularly conversing with some of the GREATS of motorcycling. I only know your forum names, but I do get a sense....

The Aprilia Forum is truly a special place because of threads like this. Thanks
    "I feel strongly both ways."

'01 Mille Blue - Mods (a bunch but not enough)

Former rides:
    '92 VFR750F
    '89 NT650 Hawk GT
    '63 CB77 Super Hawk

Some great pics guys love to see the old racing stuff!

And you've helped me get over my pre-birthday blues of feeling depressed over getting another year old... year 22 is hitting hard!

I've got a digital pic of my pre digital first "proper bike" a 1988 Aprilia AF1 125 Sintesi rep if anyone wants to see, was an awesome machine compared to other 125's of its age, single swingarm, powervalve even had a fuel gauge (don't get that luxury of my R6) It had a dodgy paint job though as you know what its like when your 17 and got a bike that will do "100mph" you get your abilities and intentions confused!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkool
    .........though as you know what its like when your 17 and got a bike that will do "100mph" you get your abilities and intentions confused!............
    Don't expect forty years to fix that.
    Last edited by naimchase; 11-04-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by go_modem_go
    ........Except for this '81 Yamaha RD 125 two cylinder ..........
    This '75 RD125 was a little brother to the two '75 RD350s behind it (circa 1980):

I still have the 125 and the grey 350.
    Last edited by naimchase; 08-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

I love the old bikes. Is that an old Montessa tucked away in the corner?

Here is one of my most favorite bikes.
    Its a '83 Suzuki GS750ES. Limited production bike(3000 to the US?).
    Mine had Pirelli +1 Phantoms, Canadian adjustable needles and a Action Fours extra plate clutch. It would run neck & neck with my buddies GPZ750 title holder in a drag race(stock production).
    I got in a lot of trouble on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
    .........Its a '83 Suzuki GS750ES...............
    I got in a lot of trouble on this bike. .......
    I never would have guessed.

The Pontificating Poodle

apriliaforum expert bicilindricov60's Avatar
    Magnolia Springs, TEXAS Officially THE Boondocks Nowhere near you Several twisties and a hop skip and a jump through the forest
    I learned on this ole sewing machine. Top heavy ole brute makes you appreciate a newer bike. Still runs like a champ, and a good buddy of mine has sold it to a good buddy of mine who drives it almost daily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my interceptor.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	52613  

Jeremy
    2001 Falco
    another 2001 Falco
    KTM LC4 400

Now for something completely different .....I think this was around 1970(it's all a bit hazzzzzy memory wise around that 10 years), my first Pre-unit with magneto, It was nothing to push these a couple of blocks to get them started,the mufflers always broke off the rear foot peg mount so there was many a sheep farmer that hated these because "Alledgedly" people would cut hunks of wire outta there fences to hold them on to get home all the time. ...so I hear anyway !
    & when it rained they usually had a bit of a rest until it stopped(& the magie dried out)..........it rained a lot in Auckland NZ. back then.
    Lucky the photo's faded so u can't see the 2 foot chrome sissy bar 'A'.
    & an old mates AJS chopper from around the same time too.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast