Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil in airbox

Engine oil in airbox

I know there's been posts addressing this issue, but not sure if anyone has come up with a solution.

Today during a ride I noticed a small oil drip that looked like it was coming from the air box area. I also noticed that there is what I think is an oil overflow hose on the right side of the motor, which was full of engine oil. Today was the first time that I noticed oil in this hose. Have not removed the tank and checked the airbox, but I'm assuming it will have quite a bit of oil in it.

Anyone know the cause of the oil blowing into the airbox, or more importantly, does anyone have a solution? And no, the oil was not over filled.

Correction....the oil over flow hose is on the left sie of the motor.

apriliaforum expert
    Is the oil clean or burnt?

Looks pretty clean, but I did change the oil a few hundred miles ago.

apriliaforum expert
    Oh, I was thinking of blow-by coming out the intake, but it sounds like that not your problem. I actually haven't gotten oil in my airbox through the breather hose, and mine is even over-filled a little above max. Not sure how/why...

Since I had read a few posts regarding this oil issue, I had checked it after every ride and had not had a problem. Today was the first time it occurred.

apriliaforum expert
    Do anything different this time?

At the end of the over flow hose is a clamp you undo, to let the oil out. This is done so no oil will drip on a race track, an over-flow can, can also be bought, just connect the hose to it, some courses require that you have the can.

Since the crankcase hose exits into the airbox it`s going to be normal to have some oil in there. All high performance bikes will have oil coming out of the crankcase tube; some will exit into a carb, air box, can , or just into the open air like an MX bike, in the old days we ran then over the chain, to lube it.

So as you can see, not much has changed over the years, it`s just now our air box, is the dumping area. Good Luck.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Mine Has about 1/2 quart in it now, but the motor is locked up to....I guess at 219 miles it was due for service

So, if orangerider is correct, this is normal. I guess I could of been getting oil in my airbox all along, and now it just filled to a point where it filled the over flow hose. Guess I'll have to check it regularly and drain it. I can live with that.

Solution???

I just got back from Barber where I met an Aprilia mechanic that knows his stuff. My 550 was pewking oil into my lower every session and getting worse. He informed me that what was happening was that some early serial # SXV's had a bad seal on the oil pump internally and would pump engine oil into the gear box, then the gear box would fill the air box, then pewk it out the over-flow hose. He tells me to pull the sight screw on the gear box and see.

I pull the sight level screw and thing flows out somewhere between a pint and a quart of fluid. (Yes I had added oil earlier following procedure and couldn't figure out why it kept pewking).

This guy saved my bacon...his name was Art out of Euro Cycles in Lafayette, La. I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't come along. If you are looking for Aprilia help in LA, I recommend dropping by to see Art.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Dawg
    I just got back from Barber where I met an Aprilia mechanic that knows his stuff. My 550 was pewking oil into my lower every session and getting worse. He informed me that what was happening was that some early serial # SXV's had a bad seal on the oil pump internally and would pump engine oil into the gear box, then the gear box would fill the air box, then pewk it out the over-flow hose. He tells me to pull the sight screw on the gear box and see.

I pull the sight level screw and thing flows out somewhere between a pint and a quart of fluid. (Yes I had added oil earlier following procedure and couldn't figure out why it kept pewking).

This guy saved my bacon...his name was Art out of Euro Cycles in Lafayette, La. I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't come along. If you are looking for Aprilia help in LA, I recommend dropping by to see Art.

OK, not sure I understand your post. If I pull the sight screw for the gear box, should any oil come out? And what's the fix?

Sight screw

It's basically a level drain. If you have excess fluid it flows out until the fluid is level with the hole. Once this is set when you change your gear box oil, then it shouldn't of course rise until you change that oil and need to set the level. However with the motor pumping oil into the gearbox it became way over full, thus all the fluid came pouring out when I pulled the screw.

The solution is to take the bike to your dealer and have them replace the damage internal oil pump seal.

Aprilia has issued a bulletin on it.

apriliaforum expert
    I believe pulling the sight screw (while the bike is level) should let no oil out. The idea is that the level should be just up to the bottom of the hole. If there is a leak from the engine, oil will drain into the crankcase and overflow the sight hole.

Got it! The screw you're refering to is right by the brake pedal, right? And I think my warranty was void with the derestriction, so how much work is it to repalce the seal? I assume the motor has to come apart?

Great info, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast