Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A fix for the leaking fuel cap and a bigger 'opening' for the fuel

apriliaforum expert aprsv2007fl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantLW4 View Post
    And I smelled like petrol the rest of the day. Unreal. Gas spewing out under acceleration at about 60mph. Ha.

SO I did the fix, but I have a question. I didn't have any washers handy that would fit. What I did do, was put a bigger o ring in. Will this be ok? Could the pressure eventually stretch out that flimsy metal washer or damage the rubber one that is on there? I normally would have gotten a different part, but i didn't want to get leaked on the rest of the afternoon. I suppose I could swap it our relatively easily if need be.

Any answers appreciated.
    tell me about it, i had to wash my cloths 3 times to get rid of the gas smell.
    i was tugging on that orange peice, did not want to break it, does it just snap on or what? next i will try a flat blade screw driver or a pipe wrench....
    Tampa Managed Services | Tampa Computer Support | Tampa IT company | Tampa SEO
    "Some have said the Bush administration has not adequately pressed Musharraf in the search for Bin Laden, but intelligence experts counter that it can be quite difficult to spot a 6' 5" elderly millionaire undergoing regular dialysis in a rural area."

07 RSV-R
    Mods
    Leo Vince, Gen III Highmounts
    Axone Map-2
    520 Gold Chain 16/44
    Pazzo Racing Levers
    Carbon Hugger

Quote Originally Posted by aprsv2007fl View Post
    tell me about it, i had to wash my cloths 3 times to get rid of the gas smell.
    i was tugging on that orange peice, did not want to break it, does it just snap on or what? next i will try a flat blade screw driver or a pipe wrench....
    It should pop right off with a small flathead screwdriver. You just have to wiggle underneathe and pop it.
    2004 RSV Mille Factory
    Tigcraft Slip-ons/Map 2
    Yamaha Starter Relay
    Custom Decals
    AF1 Link Plates
    Swinger Recalled
    Brown Connectors 86'd
    theknurl Clutch fix - Genius
    Corsa III's

Well I cut the funnel completely off. The cap was leaking gas before, but now its way bad. With a full tank, in city traffic with lots of stopping and accelerating, I was getting gas all over the tank. I guess that funnel does help reduce the gas from splashing on the rubber gasket. Getting rid of it only made it worse for my small leak. Hardware store doesnt have any fuel grade rubber, bummer. Looks like im looking at 140 bucks to get the yoyodyne keyless cap from af1.

This is a sweet mod though, if my gasket was good, cutting the funnel wouldnt have been an issue. For the first time, gassing up was easy!
    07.5 Tuono

hmmm... you guys are strange.... never had a leaky gas cap. Well, at least I'll know where to look if I do..

actually, you know what does happen to me? every time I try to fill up I always manage to drip a drop of fuel on my tank, no matter how hard I shake the damn thing before hand to get it off, no matter how fast I go, there's always that one damn drop! grr...

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Be carefull it doesn't eat your clearcoat, happened to mine. Aprilia replaced it under warranty.

wow, nice, how old was your bike at the time of replacement? What kind of warranty exists on our machines anyway?

Gas tank not venting?

I have neither had a leaky gas cap!
    It's more like the gas tank is not venting.
    Last summer in quite hot conditions in the French alps i experienced a high over pressure when opening cap for refueling several times. I was in fact getting a lot of petrol vapor straight in my face when opening the cap, very, very surprising. Not a nice experience I can assure you! It must have ben several Bars with overpressure.

Is this normal or was it just due to the high ambient temp and much low speed driving causing engine heat flux ove to the gas tank?

mcjongs

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As-Of-Now View Post
    wow, nice, how old was your bike at the time of replacement? What kind of warranty exists on our machines anyway?
    My bike was about a month old, our bikes have a 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty. It took aprilia almost a yr to warranty the tank.

apriliaforum Member
    I am going to have to try this. Last full tank of the season ended up on the front of my jacket and almost ruined lunch.

I have some rubber from a tire patch kit. Would that be okay to use underneath the existing rubber gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
    I have some rubber from a tire patch kit. Would that be okay to use underneath the existing rubber gasket?
    Yep. It will be fine.

The existing gasket stays as the contact point to the petrol so all the patch is doing is making the seal tighter for the existing gasket.
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, stock gearing, Austin Racing GP2R pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi Top box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum prov-nov Paolo_546's Avatar
    Here I thought I f'd up...I just bought my 2004 RSVR, went for first fill-up, overfilled it a bit (no mess just really full), and I think you guys know the rest of the story...Yup crotch full of fuel. Glad I came across this post accidentally, otherwise probably would have had another crotch full of fuel. Thanks!! Going to the autoparts store now to see if they have anything to help...

I've done the opening act on mine but with a belt sander, remove the hole thing get the funnel on the belt and grind to the first angle, this is thermo plastic, heat make it melt away easily, took seconds and work great, I have no messy leak to deal with.

Today I had fuel on my leg and was worried that it was a injection leak. It was soaking my right thigh/crotch.

A full tank and spirited ride and I quickly returned home to investigate. I lifted the tank and fuel poured out the cap.

Well I looked to this site and after about 15 minutes I had the problem solved.

If anyone needs material to use for their cap I have some extra. I used ice and water shield which is a peel and stick. I pulled the stainless washer off and used it to cut and stick the shim peice to.

I then put everything back together and tested it .

No leaks! I went back to the gas station put .9 gallons in and drove it home aggressively. worked great. amazing how alarming this was and how easy it is fix.

No more fuel on the pants!

Ian
    2002 Capo norgasm
    BMW K1200LT

2007 Red RSV sold
    2002 Falco sold
    2005 Tuono sold
    2000 Futura sold

Bike adventure in Costa Rica!! Caponord on Vancouver Island

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast