Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Variator, roller weights and contra spring mechanics for dummies! Learn how it works

apriliaforum newb
    hi the url for springs for carburettor models is broken, and I would like some advise on where to buy them. What size contra springs do I need? Beedspeed do sets of three but it doesn't say specifically they are for morelli morino engines, and pm tuning have sets of them for minarelli morino engines in 53, 54 and 58 mm. Which are right for a stock habana mojito transmission?

apriliaforum prov-nov Little Jon's Avatar
    Well, after two weeks of riding my stock '07 SR50 Factory, it was time to begin de-restricting it. After removing the variator and replaceing the stock rollers with 6.8s, I bent the small tabs on the rear plate back as recommended on this forum. A lot of you suggest leaving that plate off altogether.

My question and my concern is that when the tabs are bent back or the plate is left off, the rollers fall out of their cage on the pulley when the back half is spread out as it would be during running. What prevents this from occurring when everylthing is assembled and put back on scooter ?

Is there something I'm missing here or perhaps the rear half of the variator doesn't move far enough on the shaft when assembled to allow the rollers to fall out ?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    I used a pair of leather gloves to hold the pully.... The pully has sharp edges on it and will slice your hands if it turns while you are holding it. Then I had a friend get ahold of the nut with a pair of channel locks. It took a while of fighting with it, but it finally came loose.

Try smacking the channel locks with a hammer to jerk the nut loose while you have a firm grasp on the pully. This impacting can break the nut loose a little easier.

Good luck!
    I love your posts. Super informative for sure. But I have to say I haven't used a pair of channel locks on a nut or bolt since I was about twelve years old and didn't know any better.

this is great man. I thought I had the understanding of the CVT down pretty good but this helps alot especially with the issues ive been having with my bike.

apriliaforum newb
    Great post.

Any optimal suggestions for spring and roller combo on my mojito 50 2008 under all different conditions?
    Gonna de restrict the exhaust, bigger jet, and removing variator ring....

Thanks

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonabeach View Post
    Great post.

Any optimal suggestions for spring and roller combo on my mojito 50 2008 under all different conditions?
    Gonna de restrict the exhaust, bigger jet, and removing variator ring....

Thanks
    Every bike will be individually different, some may preform better with slightly heavier rollers and some may preform best with lighter rollers,its the same with contra springs, its all about getting the match between your contra springs resistance and your roller weights to give you the best acceleration, mid-range and top end from your bike. Good luck!

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks,
    But what if u were to suggest the "most optimal" combo, what would u choose?

I would prefer high topspeed, and enough torque and power to go uphill, it doesnt matter if i have to hit the throttle, you also get a smoother and safer cornering that way being able to controll the accel out of a turn...
    My weight is 95 kg btw

apriliaforum newb
    Also, about the clutch, doesnt it have 3-4 small centrifugal springs that decides when to engage?

apriliaforum newb
    hey wonderind if u wud beable to help me, i have a apprilla sr50 n thats pretty all i know about it lol ive had it for a yeah n havent rode on it because ive fixed it n every thing but i aint fixed it completely, it starts up n only works on half revs n when yah try to put it on full revs it just dosent work it just like stops accelerating, any suggestions, wud be most gratefull

apriliaforum newb
    I have a 09 sr 50 ditech would it make my bike a little faster by puting on leo vince pipe or do i need to change the rollers it just broken in 320 miles and it does 50 mph stock on flat thanks

apriliaforum newb

help

I have a 09 sr 50 ditech would it make my bike a little faster by puting on leo vince pipe or do i need to change the rollers it just broken in 320 miles and it does 50 mph stock on flat thanks

Great info however removing the variator with a impact wrench is correct but replacing it seems contrary to service manual where they have a torque setting for that nut. Which should be applied? I a have 2009 SR50 Factory.
    White Water

The proper way would be to use a variator holding tool, and a torque wrench set to the designated amount. If you use an impact driver, just make sure you don't over torque the nut.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jon View Post
    Well, after two weeks of riding my stock '07 SR50 Factory, it was time to begin de-restricting it. After removing the variator and replaceing the stock rollers with 6.8s, I bent the small tabs on the rear plate back as recommended on this forum. A lot of you suggest leaving that plate off altogether.

My question and my concern is that when the tabs are bent back or the plate is left off, the rollers fall out of their cage on the pulley when the back half is spread out as it would be during running. What prevents this from occurring when everylthing is assembled and put back on scooter ?

Is there something I'm missing here or perhaps the rear half of the variator doesn't move far enough on the shaft when assembled to allow the rollers to fall out ?
    I have the same problem/concern. Can someone please answer? Thank you!

BTW; I'm new on the forum

apriliaforum newb

You mean to tell me I cant increase top speed even with the dr pully sliders?

Even if I purchase a larger varieter it will never make a deference is what your saying? Whats the point then I should just leave my stock rollers on. From all the forums Ive been on, you seem to make the most sense. But I just don't get how everyone else states they increased their top speed by changing there rollers. Does a Cdi swap change top speed or is that a meth as well? Because Ive read it changes the rev limiter the stock engines have. Im new to the scooter world so Im trying to make sense of it all. I am mechanically inclined so its not hard for me to understand. Just need more information in order to make my own assessment of all this. So far it seems that all this does nothing unless you change pieces completely and when i say pieces I mean major pieces such ass the varator pulley what if you increase the size as well as the rear pulley? Then there is the engine head. Please help man, is this making any sense?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast